• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Victory Dance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:51 pm Reply with quote
FLAG sounds really interesting, sometime I'll need to add that to my overstuffed Netflix queue to check it out.
kj_4247

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
"That man deserves a medal and a blowjob"
Who needs medals?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
retty wrote:
I really disliked Emma. The whole point is they're meant to be divided by society, but there is barely even a hint of that in the anime. After 5 episodes I gave up on it. They don't behave at all as people would have done in that time. If you want period romance just watch a movie or read a book, but stay away from Emma.
Are you sure about that? What you will find if you reasearch it is that the Victorians were more decadent then you would think. They just kept it on the quiet. Even Queen Vic herself was later discovered to be quite insatiable. So it wouldn't be the first time that downstairs got initmate with upstairs in some houses of wealth.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
So it wouldn't be the first time that downstairs got initmate with upstairs in some houses of wealth.

Well, yes. Obviously.

It's not a question of whether the match could have taken place, it's a question of whether or not the societal (particularly class-based) norms and nuances of the period are accurately (or at all) reflected in the characters and the ways they approach things.

I've not tried Emma yet but from what I hear, it's the sort of thing that appears superficially authentic to those who haven't read a lot of Victorian history and / or literature.

I'll give it a fair shake of the stick at some point but I suspect, in terms of historical accuracy, I'll find it to be more Dick Van Dyke than George MacDonald Fraser...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
So it wouldn't be the first time that downstairs got initmate with upstairs in some houses of wealth.

Well, yes. Obviously.

It's not a question of whether the match could have taken place, it's a question of whether or not the societal (particularly class-based) norms and nuances of the period are accurately (or at all) reflected in the characters and the ways they approach things.

I've not tried Emma yet but from what I hear, it's the sort of thing that appears superficially authentic to those who haven't read a lot of Victorian history and / or literature.

I'll give it a fair shake of the stick at some point but I suspect, in terms of historical accuracy, I'll find it to be more Dick Van Dyke than George MacDonald Fraser...
Well, seeing as it was produced by a nation on the other side of the planet, one has to allow it some lea-way in accuracy. Though I know the production and animation team did come to London for accuate sketches of buildings and such. In all possibility such a romance could have happened, but it would have been all down to the acceptance of the rich man's parents, and/or benefactors' especially if his inheritance would be affected by such a union. No objections, no problem.
Myznomer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
ZOMG PSX VALKYRIE PROFILE!!!!!!!!!

*calms down*

I meant to say: I sure do wish I had the disposable income to attain even half of the items you mentioned...
ichiro3923

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Earlier in the season, when I said that I wish Shuffle! had a bit more substance and more drama, I wasn't expecting to have those words bite me in the rear.

haha...be careful what u wish for Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3