• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: MediaCorp Partners Odex to Launch Anime Channel with Same Week Telecast as Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kureshii

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quote
Title typo: Mediagorp!?

In any case, I'm glad they finally decided to go ahead with this (even though they've already been doing so with D.Gray-man for quite some time).
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
kureshii wrote:
Title typo: Mediagorp!?

Fixed, among other things. Thank you. Can't fix the subject line of this thread though (shrug).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
nerei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
Ha, we finally see Odex in action again.

Their PR for the last year has been super bad. And I doubt this is going to help in making fans here change their perspective of the company. (Indeed, it's amazing they're still alive...)
Kvicksilver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
nerei wrote:
Ha, we finally see Odex in action again.

Their PR for the last year has been super bad. And I doubt this is going to help in making fans here change their perspective of the company. (Indeed, it's amazing they're still alive...)

ODEX is the worst. They ARE bootleggers. They rip off fansubs from multiple origins, sometimes even the whole file itself, and use VCD instead of DVDs. And because of barbaric Malaysian laws, they have absolutely control over the internet that pertains to the shows they licensed, and attack every single customer harshly. If the American companies did that, the industry would crash in a few days.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Kvicksilver wrote:
ODEX is the worst. They ARE bootleggers. They rip off fansubs from multiple origins

I've seen a couple of comparisons, but I've yet to see anything conclusive.

Quote:
sometimes even the whole file itself

Which I do find hard to believe given they will have access to the actual masters as part of the license

Quote:
and use VCD instead of DVDs.

VCD does not automatically = bootleg,

Quote:
And because of barbaric Malaysian laws, they have absolutely control over the internet that pertains to the shows they licensed, and attack every single customer harshly. If the American companies did that, the industry would crash in a few days.

While I may not approve of their methods, they do not "control the internet" but use ISP logs to specifically target people illegally sharing their licensed properties. Since these people on the whole aren't buying the DVDs, fining them will have little impact on the industry other than bad press.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
VCD is poor quality though.. maybe not bootleg but they are awfully cheap if they can't spare the pennies to switch...
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
VCD is poor quality though.. maybe not bootleg but they are awfully cheap if they can't spare the pennies to switch...

Proware, one of the largest Taiwanese anime licensee that enjoys many customers at AnimeOnDVD, continues producing VCD editions of newly licensed titles.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not disagreeing that real companies do this, I just think it's horrible that they do.
Kibamaru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Arts Central is the first, and still the only terrestrial television channel in the world to broadcast anime content within the same week as its premiere in Japan. AnimeTrix offers the widest range of legal content online outside of Japan, with cult titles such as D.Gray-man, Neo Angelique Abyss, Zero no Tsukaima lll, and Allison & Lillia from anime giants TV Tokyo Corporation, MICO and Media Factory.

LOL The article make it sound like they release dozens of titles on the same week as Japan's. It's only 1 shonen crap, D.Gray-Man.

And look at their list of animes they have to offer, the usual unknown junk just like their releases.

No, this is NOT going to fix back their bad PR. Not even a bit.
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

It depends on how much they charge for the shows. In Asia, cheap VCD releases are still quite common for both movies and TV series.

If Odex prices VCDs within DVD pricing range, then I'd agree that value is poor. However, if prices reflect the going rates for VCDs, there's little to complain about. You get what you pay for.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Just fixed several other typos, notably all uppercase "I" was mistyped as lowercase "l". I wonder if this news release was OCRed. Rolling Eyes

rg4619 wrote:
If Odex prices VCDs within DVD pricing range, then I'd agree that value is poor. However, if prices reflect the going rates for VCDs, there's little to complain about. You get what you pay for.

Here are some examples at Proware:

New titles like Lucky Star:
DVD: NT$ 479
VCD: NT$ 218
DVD : VCD = 2.2 : 1

Clearance titles like Nanaka 6/17:
DVD: NT$ 159
VCD: Nt$ 99
DVD : VCD = 1.6 : 1
kureshii

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
One more typo: Titles available on Art Gentral (Gental -> Central)

ODEX made some really bad mistakes, but I haven't heard from them much recently (in fact, I don't think they've been doing much at all, aside from this).

I'm kinda glad they started this though, might save me downloading a few fansubs.

I won't hold grudges against them, but I'm still waiting for them to fix their mistakes. I've been waiting for Chrno Crusade Vol 2 for almost 4 years now, and Monster Vol 2 onwards for 2 years. If they're not going to finish their DVD releases they shouldn't expect people to buy them.

They're also really slow getting their site back up. That's never good for publicity.

[edit] I just watched Zero No Tsukaima. The subtitles were horrible; grammar is off at quite a few parts (at least, no typos). I just might go back to speedsubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1