• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Emma Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:
I'm sorry, but without the dub, I just can't justify paying $50 for it, and sitting through a whole series without it. For me, anime just loses everything without a dub.

*puts up flame shield*

Well put,MARIO.

If TRSI can't do a decent english dub for any reason,they maybe they ought to sell the Emma license to someone who can.

Funimation comes to mind.
Kvicksilver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
MARl0 wrote:
I'm sorry, but without the dub, I just can't justify paying $50 for it, and sitting through a whole series without it. For me, anime just loses everything without a dub.

*puts up flame shield*

I do sympathize to a degree with you. I prefer dubs myself. I am very sad that a wonderful series like Emma, and Aria coming soon, have not gotten dubs while other shows that hardly have their quality get ones. Thats just life though. So while I prefer dubs I am not going to pass up a wonderful series like Emma because it doesn't have one. other shows though.....maybe.

I do agree that Emma lacking a dub was a thing to miss, but it's still like crying over spilled milk, just say "oh well".

"Well put,MARIO.

If TRSI can't do a decent english dub for any reason,they maybe they ought to sell the Emma license to someone who can."

Funimation comes to mind.[/quote]

Again, some people missed the heated discussions we had about a bunch of these shows. Funimation would have never picked them up. Easy as that. Why? Because they're terribly niche shows that only appeal to a small percentage of even hardcore anime fans. The main consensus reached, without getting into costs and what not, was that dubbing was risky for these shows because it was likely that they would not make bake the cost of dubbing process, even with a slightly larger pool of interested fans because of the dub. These shows were barely known even among the fansub crowd, and I'm sure most people only know of it now because of fantastic advertising Rightstuf did or the manga, same goes for Aria. The bottom line is, I'd rather see shows released R1 without a dub, than not at all.

As for Aria, there is no way a dub could possibly match the same feeling as the original. Sure that might not be the point of a dub, but it just wouldn't have the same emotion and any way it was attempted would never come close. English voice actors just aren't that cute sounding, they're better fit to stuff like Claymore (deep rough voices usually) which I hope has a good dub.
Case

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Kvicksilver wrote:
Funimation would have never picked them up. Easy as that. Why? Because they're terribly niche shows that only appeal to a small percentage of even hardcore anime fans.

Easy as that! Funimation only licenses blockbusters like BALDR FORCE EXE, Glass Fleet, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Mamotte! Lollipop

Wait a sec......
animepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
sounds like this anime seris could defenitly go far
i think ill look into it Very Happy
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I really did like the manga but I am hesitant to watch this series without a dub, just because I have found that if a series is set in England or America, watching in Japanese keeps throwing me off. Like Steamboy, my mom and I kept squirming until we switched to English, the Japanese was really reinforcing the fact that we were watching fiction instead of being drawn in.
Still, if they are still selling that really nice set I might need to get it, better add Emma to the Netflix queue.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dickens, Austen and Bronte being my three favorite authors, this is right up my alley, but don't let the time period scare you. This is just plain lovely.

Which Bronte? There were three of them, after all (though chances are pretty good it's not Anne).

I have a one-episode rule for most anime, which Emma more than failed.

And yes, Jane Austen died twenty years too early to be Victorian.

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Easy as that! Funimation only licenses blockbusters like BALDR FORCE EXE, Glass Fleet, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Mamotte! Lollipop

Wait a sec......

You forgot Suzuka.

That being said, I kinda think if Funimation had thought they could make money on it, they would have had it.

Quote:
I have a one-episode rule for most anime, which Emma more than failed.

I was thinking about this last week, out of all the anime series I have seen, the number with what I would consider a great first episode is a number below 10. I run into this trying to introduce lukewarm anime friends to some great series, the vast majority of the time, the first episode is the weakest in the series.

I am on the third disk of Emma.
R.G.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
By the reasoning of some posters,they might as well have released sub-only versions of Negima and Witchblade.

Anyway,all the "hug therapy sessions" in the world won't change the fact that a series like Emma dreserves an english dub.

As I said before . . .

Why shouldn't Funimation get it?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
By the reasoning of some posters,they might as well have released sub-only versions of Negima and Witchblade.

I just find that part funny as Witchblade was the top selling anime series period of 2007 here in America. Very Happy

Kvicksilver wrote:

Again, some people missed the heated discussions we had about a bunch of these shows. Funimation would have never picked them up. Easy as that. Why? Because they're terribly niche shows that only appeal to a small percentage of even hardcore anime fans. The main consensus reached, without getting into costs and what not, was that dubbing was risky for these shows because it was likely that they would not make bake the cost of dubbing process, even with a slightly larger pool of interested fans because of the dub. These shows were barely known even among the fansub crowd, and I'm sure most people only know of it now because of fantastic advertising Rightstuf did or the manga, same goes for Aria. The bottom line is, I'd rather see shows released R1 without a dub, than not at all.

As for Aria, there is no way a dub could possibly match the same feeling as the original. Sure that might not be the point of a dub, but it just wouldn't have the same emotion and any way it was attempted would never come close. English voice actors just aren't that cute sounding, they're better fit to stuff like Claymore (deep rough voices usually) which I hope has a good dub.

I'm just curious as to why you quoted me as part of your first paragraph/rant? I never questioned why they weren't picked up. I simply mentioned I would have liked a dub as I prefer dubs period. Maybe I;m just being picky but I prefer it when people quote me to make a point the point they're making is even relative to my post at all. I'm in a nitpicky mood, sorry.

As for Aria....we'll just have to agree to disagree. I think there are plenty of quality US VA's that could make a stellar dub for the show. Not all of them have gravely and deep voices. I think if they put some real effort into it they could make a very good dub for Aria. Though it would be expensive to get the talent they need to do it.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I do sympathize to a degree with you. I prefer dubs myself. I am very sad that a wonderful series like Emma, and Aria coming soon, have not gotten dubs while other shows that hardly have their quality get ones. Thats just life though. So while I prefer dubs I am not going to pass up a wonderful series like Emma because it doesn't have one. other shows though.....maybe.

Pretty much my thoughts as well. Emma has been sitting on my shelf for a couple weeks now, and I am going to watch it as soon as I finish up a few other shows. I really wish Emma had a dub. At the same time I REALLY liked the manga*. Me not buying this wasn't an option. Other shows that I would normally purchase are staying on the storeroom floor though. I prefer dubs these days, but like most in my age bracket, am quite accustomed to watching anime in Japanese. Still, I can't say the trend doesn't anger me a bit.More than a bit.

Glad to see Emma getting lots of love though, I can't wait to finally sit down and watch the animated version. Maybe with all this attention Emma will do so well that Nozomi will decide to come out with a dubbed version. <--joke

*Which I read in English. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
I have my share of sub-only shows in my personal collection, so I have no problem at all watching shows that way. However, I have a tough time with shows based in England or America that do not have an English dub. They just don't feel right.

My biggest issue was the dishonesty by Right Stuf when they licensed it in there reason for not dubbing it. I think most fans would prefer the truth up front whether they agree with the decision or not. (As I recall, they originally said they "might" do one later if they could find the right cast of British accents/voices. The truth is it won't likely sell enough to support the cost of the dub.)

I will give the show a chance via my Netflix account, but it is an uphill battle to convince me to shell out my hard-earned $$$ for this one.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I like how the new Future Anime mag honestly put it: Laughing

The love story may follow a timeworn pattern -- it's at least as old as "Wuthering Heights"
[Ed: though not nearly as dreary], and that's just the first predecessor that leaps to mind -- but it sticks around because it works. While Emma and William are falling for each other, we the viewers wind up falling for them just as hard. It helps, perhaps, that the average anime fan is probably just as reticent, shy, and romantically paralyzed as they are.

Too bad there's no Ye Olde British dub like some early Manga(?) dubs. And what's with -san all the time in Emma; the seiyuu could've easily just say Miss, Mister, Madame, etc. Laughing
petran79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The german release of the first season includes a good german dub and can be currently purchased cheaper than 50 $ by selected vendors.

Notice though that in Europe (and Canada) anime series based on Western novels were more popular.

I cant imagine why the WMT series "Little Women" that was broadcasted in the US is so obsolete.
Miitan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MARl0 wrote:

Yes!

Because without an English Dub the original show is quite clearly a pile of steaming excrement!

Where do we get these people....

Dargonxtc wrote:
At the same time I REALLY liked the manga*. ~snip~ *Which I read in English.

Now you can read it in English and the pictures move too! Very Happy
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
snl67 wrote:
The truth is it won't likely sell enough to support the cost of the dub.

The truth is if a British-accented English dub is announced, sales of the Japanese-only R2JP DVD will drop dead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4