• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Research Team Names Protein After Pokémon's Pikachu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
First: I find the "Free Pokemon Cursors" ad atop this thread to be disturbing ... no matter how on topic.
Second: Which sign of the apocalypse was this again?
Third: On the examples given earlier (or similar ones,) remember that some are/were contested, particularly any from back during the cold war.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
mewtwo wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Makes me wonder if Nintendo will try to make this into a copyright lawsuit though.

They did when some guys tried to name a cancer-related gene after Pokemon.

Why does that surprize me? Like I said before, either way, someone in this transaction is going to make some money.

Something tells me there is going to be a follow up story on this case. I am pretty sure Nintendo doesn't want their cute and cuddly electric mouse to be related to anything but eletricity or mouses.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
I'm more of a Lugianium fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
Being and anime fan and a molecular biologist specializing in proteomics, this is so #$%^*@& cool you have no idea!!! Very Happy

Being a medical student with an undegraduate career that heavily focused on genetics and cell biology, I'll offer the opposite side of the argument and say that these names are unwelcome.

Why unwelcome? Not because I think it's unprofessional or stupid. I like it a lot, actually. It's a great homage, and it reminds people that scientists are people too. And like someone said, it can be fun to see these names when reading papers.

That's the problem: it's too distracting. When a protein has a name like "ubiquitin," that works because it describes the protein (i.e. that it's ubiquitous) and it has no special meaning to the reader. But whenever I read about Hox genes in embryology and Shh (sonic hedgehog) comes up it's always so goddamn distracting. Colleagues agree. Professors agree. The professors who don't find it distracting are the ones who have no idea who Sonic the Hedgehog is. And once they do know, they're the ones you can imagine saying "Wow that's pretty lame." I disagree with them that it's lame, but maaaaaaaan if it's not distracting.

Modern cell biology is faced with the following problem: it doesn't know how to name things. Up until the mid-20th century it was standard practice for people to give chemicals and structures names that were either based on who discovered it (e.g. "Golgi bodies") or based on where the chemical came from (e.g. retinal [a product of Vitamin A] for the retina) or else finally based on what it does (e.g. transferrin, an iron transporter).

Then it became trendy to hate on this tradition and to say "we need to name things according to a universal, unbiased standard of pure mathematics." Hence IUPAC was born and everything began to be renamed. Isopropanol became propan-2-ol. Calcitriol became 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (and even then "cholecalciferol" isn't IUPAC-derived). Serotonin became 5-hydroxytryptamine. Allantoin became (2,5-Dioxo-4-imidazolidinyl) urea.

And people discovered something by the 1990s: the people who had whined about the random names being too hard to memorize were far and away outnumbered by the people who found those funky and unique names far easier to memorize than the new rigid highly-numeric IUPAC ones. Over the last 15 years the tides have been swinging back to favoring naming compounds for what they do, where they come from, or who found them ...

... but names like Sonic hedgehog and Pikachurin alert us to a novel threat: naming compounds after what they do but with highly-distracting pop culture references. Give it enough time and people will be naming mutagens after the Ninja Turtles and X-Men. I love him as much as the next guy, but I don't want to open my medical texts and see "lgn - Logan" on the same table as Bcr, Abl, Ras, or p53.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:

Being a medical student with an undegraduate career that heavily focused on genetics and cell biology, I'll offer the opposite side of the argument and say that these names are unwelcome.

Why unwelcome? Not because I think it's unprofessional or stupid. I like it a lot, actually. It's a great homage, and it reminds people that scientists are people too. And like someone said, it can be fun to see these names when reading papers.

That's the problem: it's too distracting. When a protein has a name like "ubiquitin," that works because it describes the protein (i.e. that it's ubiquitous) and it has no special meaning to the reader. But whenever I read about Hox genes in embryology and Shh (sonic hedgehog) comes up it's always so goddamn distracting. Colleagues agree. Professors agree. The professors who don't find it distracting are the ones who have no idea who Sonic the Hedgehog is. And once they do know, they're the ones you can imagine saying "Wow that's pretty lame." I disagree with them that it's lame, but maaaaaaaan if it's not distracting.

Modern cell biology is faced with the following problem: it doesn't know how to name things. Up until the mid-20th century it was standard practice for people to give chemicals and structures names that were either based on who discovered it (e.g. "Golgi bodies") or based on where the chemical came from (e.g. retinal [a product of Vitamin A] for the retina) or else finally based on what it does (e.g. transferrin, an iron transporter).

Then it became trendy to hate on this tradition and to say "we need to name things according to a universal, unbiased standard of pure mathematics." Hence IUPAC was born and everything began to be renamed. Isopropanol became propan-2-ol. Calcitriol became 1,25-dihydroxycholecalciferol (and even then "cholecalciferol" isn't IUPAC-derived). Serotonin became 5-hydroxytryptamine. Allantoin became (2,5-Dioxo-4-imidazolidinyl) urea.

And people discovered something by the 1990s: the people who had whined about the random names being too hard to memorize were far and away outnumbered by the people who found those funky and unique names far easier to memorize than the new rigid highly-numeric IUPAC ones. Over the last 15 years the tides have been swinging back to favoring naming compounds for what they do, where they come from, or who found them ...

... but names like Sonic hedgehog and Pikachurin alert us to a novel threat: naming compounds after what they do but with highly-distracting pop culture references. Give it enough time and people will be naming mutagens after the Ninja Turtles and X-Men. I love him as much as the next guy, but I don't want to open my medical texts and see "lgn - Logan" on the same table as Bcr, Abl, Ras, or p53.

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this issue. There is so much in what you wrote that I disagree with that it's just not an appropriate discussion for this thread. Suffice it to say, I see nothing distracting about this practice. Whenever I hear about these things, I think for all of an 8th of a second "hey, cool" and then proceed with my work.
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Considering you're the first student, faculty member, or corporate researcher in biological sciences I have heard say he doesn't find it distracting, I certainly agree with the "agree to disagree" proposal. Neutral
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
Considering you're the first student, faculty member, or corporate researcher in biological sciences I have heard say he doesn't find it distracting, I certainly agree with the "agree to disagree" proposal. Neutral

Wow, I am sorry you've encountered so many people with such short attention spans. I can see how that would be frustrating, especially in the science/medical fields. Shocked Of course that does explain a lot.
jsieczka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised that this is not really all that odd,I always figured people just named it after themselves. I would have to do that just to make people suffer and have to learn how to say my last, all 15 letters worth.
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Batman3777 wrote:
Wow, I am sorry you've encountered so many people with such short attention spans. I can see how that would be frustrating, especially in the science/medical fields. Shocked Of course that does explain a lot.

Now now, mind the sarcasm. We have excellent attention spans, thanks very much, it's just that something like this may not be disorienting to you but it is to many and I am simply sharing that view since it would be a gross misrepresentation for ANN's readership to think that the opinions of a few biology students means everyone in science supports this.

I'm actually surprised you've not met more people who feel the same way as I do considering that those people are all I have ever met: every single college student loved the hedgehog genes at first ("IT'S SONIC! AWESOME!") until we got down and dirty with them and then all I ever heard was how they were the hardest ones to keep straight because knowing who he was kept derailing their mnemonics and making them second-guess what the gene really did. People with OCD tendencies would get frustrated that the gene might be associated with certain tissues or embryonic changes that run counter to Sonic's persona (e.g. what the hell does Sonic have to do with neural crest cells? or cancer in adults for that matter?). Accidentally (and highly criticized by the scientific community), it just so happens that Sonic's most recent character designs show what could be argued as a cyclopean face, tying in to the gene's role in holoprosencephaly. Many physicians I have talked with have voiced disdain for the gene as follows:

Quote:
Can you imagine what it's like to tell the parents of a child born with severe holoprosencephaly why their child is severely mentally retarded or even spontaneously aborted mid-term?

This gets back to what someone said earlier on: the POKMON gene was denied by Nintendo because it had a negative association while Sega allowed Shh because (at the time) it had positive connotations. But as has been smartly mentioned in this thread, the chemicals in the human body are rarely used in just one sense or have only one association; there are many possible diseases related to surplus or deficiency of these chemicals and Shh and Pikachurin are no exceptions. One person said "hey this is cool" because Pikachurin relates to fixing retinitis pigmentosa but what about explaining to people in the first place who suffer from RP "I'm sorry, you don't have enough Pikachurin." They'd punch me in the face thinking the next thing out of my mouth was going to be "You failed to catch 'em all."
Batman3777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
Batman3777 wrote:

Now now, mind the sarcasm. We have excellent attention spans, thanks very much, it's just that something like this may not be disorienting to you but it is to many and I am simply sharing that view since it would be a gross misrepresentation for ANN's readership to think that the opinions of a few biology students means everyone in science supports this.

I'm actually surprised you've not met more people who feel the same way as I do considering that those people are all I have ever met: every single college student loved the hedgehog genes at first ("IT'S SONIC! AWESOME!") until we got down and dirty with them and then all I ever heard was how they were the hardest ones to keep straight because knowing he was kept derailing their pnemonics and making them second-guess what the gene really did. People with OCD tendencies would get frustrated that the gene might be associated with certain tissues or embryonic changes that run counter to Sonic's persona (e.g. what the hell does Sonic have to do with neural crest cells? or cancer in adults for that matter?). Accidentally (and highly criticized by the scientific community), it just so happens that Sonic's most recent character designs show what could be argued as a cyclopean face, tying in to the gene's role in holoprosencephaly. Many physicians I have talked with have voiced disdain for the gene as follows:

Quote:
Can you imagine what it's like to tell the parents of a child born with severe holoprosencephaly why their child is severely mentally retarded or even spontaneously aborted mid-term?

This gets back to what someone said earlier on: the POKMON gene was denied by Nintendo because it had a negative association while Sega allowed Shh because (at the time) it had positive connotations. But as has been smartly mentioned in this thread, the chemicals in the human body are rarely used in just one sense or have only one association; there are many possible diseases related to surplus or deficiency of these chemicals and Shh and Pikachurin are no exceptions. One person said "hey this is cool" because Pikachurin relates to fixing retinitis pigmentosa but what about explaining to people in the first place who suffer from RP "I'm sorry, you don't have enough Pikachurin." They'd punch me in the face thinking the next thing out of my mouth was going to be "You failed to catch 'em all."

LOL, oh c'mon, you have to admit it was a funny joke. Wink Remember, to be a good scientist/doctor, person in general, you have to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while. And also, I have never seen any doctor explain such conditions as you mentioned above in such detail as to name the proteins involved. If you plan to, well, that's awesome, but that is not a common practice (though I think it should be). And if so, tell them exactly what it is. Believe me, the patient or the patient's parents won't get distracted by it at the time your telling them such news.

I see what it is, now, it's pnemonics. I never use them. I prefer to learn things in a more conceptual way, as have most of my past classmates. I am actually kind of surprised that you have been so deeply entrenched in people who use pnemonics for such things. Rote memorization like that kind of... scares me, sometimes. The way I conceptualize, I have no problems keeping such things on track, sans pnemonics or any other memorization tricks.

Many different types of experiences out there, so nothing should be that surprising, eh? Smile
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the news article, I was thinking how awesome it would be if pikachurin and ZBTB7 were somehow linked.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
As soon as I saw the news article, I was thinking how awesome it would be if pikachurin and ZBTB7 were somehow linked.

Didn't know Nintendo threatened MSKCC for the name. It was the media reporting "Pokemon causes cancer" that should take the blame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quote
well, i dont find the name at all distracting or demeaning to the science field. i may not be a bio major or anything, but i believe we all have the option to name our creations or findings whatever we want. hey, this kind of thing tells me that Science People like to have silly fun just like the rest of us. they arent the up tight kind of guys we normaly think about, (images of late episodes in Eureka Seven come to mind.) but yea, naming some great finding after a silly thing has happened before. afterall, what kind of person names a hurricane El Nino (The Boy)? if i ever created an awsome computer code, id name it something silly like "Johnny 5"or something like that.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
afterall, what kind of person names a hurricane El Nino (The Boy)?

El Niño is not a single hurricane but a climate phenomenon.

Wikipedia wrote:
The name El Niño, from the Spanish for "the little boy", refers to the Christ child, because the phenomenon is usually noticed around Christmas time in the Pacific Ocean off the west coast of South America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:08 am Reply with quote
Lol, alright then, let me rephrase that, "what kind of person names a climate phenomenon "El Nino" (the little boy)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3