• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Namco Links Up with Fujiyama Subtitling Firm

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kvicksilver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully that means more new shows subtitled immediately and given for us to view.

Also, I hope they do it for free or an open pricing plan, like Gonzo did with Druaga. Despite counter arguments I'll get, it actually isn't fair that we only have the option to get crappy streams or xvids encodes for limited times, and pay for them. Even with satellite subscriptions, there's no way the Japanese fans are paying literally $3 per episode sight-unseen, unless it's some sort of pay-per-view, which I highly doubt it is.

And as far as Bandai Visual, good riddance. It was a useless venture and offered absolutely nothing to the American market. Gunbuster for $60? Yeah, might as well not even exist then. Even if the show is amazing, there is no way, after 20 years, that each episode is worth more than $3, without a dub at that. Same goes for Diebuster.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Most of the debate-causing issues with the anime industry seem to be targeted by this new plan. It all sounds a little too good to be true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Most of the debate-causing issues with the anime industry seem to be targeted by this new plan. It all sounds a little too good to be true.
The question is will the rest of the Japanese industry embrace the plan?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Kvicksilver wrote:
Hopefully that means more new shows subtitled immediately and given for us to view.

Also, I hope they do it for free or an open pricing plan, like Gonzo did with Druaga. Despite counter arguments I'll get, it actually isn't fair that we only have the option to get crappy streams or xvids encodes for limited times, and pay for them. Even with satellite subscriptions, there's no way the Japanese fans are paying literally $3 per episode sight-unseen, unless it's some sort of pay-per-view, which I highly doubt it is.

And as far as Bandai Visual, good riddance. It was a useless venture and offered absolutely nothing to the American market. Gunbuster for $60? Yeah, might as well not even exist then. Even if the show is amazing, there is no way, after 20 years, that each episode is worth more than $3, without a dub at that. Same goes for Diebuster.

I'm expecting Bandai Channel to be in line with the American industry VOD prices outside of iTunes (ie PSN, Netflix and Vongo). You're talking high speed connections now so those that participate can afford to pay normal prices.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm in. When this debuts, I will be one of the first people in line. I hope other companies do this too. The only thing that would kill this is regional IP restrictions.

I'm also laughing, because had the title of this article read "Bandai Namco takes proactive steps to phasing out fansubbing," this topic would already have 100 replies. As it is, I'm #5.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

They will if this turns out to be a success. It always takes one company to spend money and take the risk before others will follow and spend their own money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Very good signs in anticipation of an English BC service. I'm glad to see the company take the right steps (so far) in trying to globalize its streaming efforts. BC has a ton of potential, but it remains to be seen how much of their library will make it outside of Japan (given that some of those titles belong to other companies not affiliated with the Bandai corporate family). Even so, Bandai alone has a great list of titles, so hopefully more about all of this will be revealed in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:40 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

I hope not. The Japanese don't exactly have a huge grasp on decent English subtitling. Not to mention, none of these download services really provide ownership even when they claim to and viewing tends to be limited to one computer and your iPod (subtitled anime on an iPod screen?). But so long as it all makes it over to R1 so that the regular suspects can retranslate and distribute on DVD, I don't really care. Perhaps it'll get all those people who don't ever pay for their anime to do so without punishing the rest of us (see the recent Toei thing as an example of punishing the rest of us).
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
BOST TV does great subtitling work so companies that specialize in it has obviously improved nowadays.

Toei is putting up for sale titles that normally wouldn't see the light of day in R1 (Slam Dunk) or would make it here only after editing it down to US children's show levels (Pretty Cure, Digimon 02 Adventure). That's hardly considered punishing us.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
BOST TV does great subtitling work so companies that specialize in it has obviously improved nowadays.

Toei is putting up for sale titles that normally wouldn't see the light of day in R1 (Slam Dunk) or would make it here only after editing it down to US children's show levels (Pretty Cure, Digimon 02 Adventure). That's hardly considered punishing us.
I for one welcome the ablity to see the adventures of Hikaru Yagmai in glorious VCRVision however not geting said ablity because I use the dirty Brittish monies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1