• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Forget if I've already suggested this, but where tracks (and even the rare OST) from anime are available in iTunes/Google Play/Amazon Music etc. it would be nice to have something similar to the releases system to link to them (and you may even be able to generate a little affiliate income as well).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Some suggestions I have to improve the releases section of the encyclopedia.

-For UK releases, can we have Amazon UK links on just those releases? With the boom in premium releases in the UK thanks to Anime Limited and Universal UK, this would be really appreciated as many North Americans like me are becoming more interested in these releases. Also could we have a way to easily add these releases? AFAIK they have to be added manually.

-Making the wizard recognize better if a release is sub-only and/or a combo pack. I just added some missing June releases, and the system failed to recognize they were combo packs (sometimes it thought it was a DVD, other times a Blu-ray) or were sub-only. These were Discotek, Sentai, FUNimation, and AoA releases. Also, it would be nice if we could have a way to note combo packs as Region A, B, etc. and if they're sub-only, as sub-only.

-Having the wizard recognize if a release is Blu-ray (Region A). AFAIK this has to be done manually.

-Easier way to link a release to multiple entries. AFAIK this has to be done manually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
being able to add sources to entries without having to report the entry. Something I've been noticing with plenty of older entries, like the 2000's is the person who entered them in did so without a source. For example on Najica Blitz Tactics, scroll down to Japanese Companies, and then Production, and note how they left ZERO sources, not a single one. Some sources that could have been used:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/ナジカ電撃作戦#.E3.82.B9.E3.82.BF.E3.83.83.E3.83.95
Opening credits of the ADV DVD's (They spelled Columbia wrong)

I think that reporting the entry is exactly the right thing to do. Yes, it's unintuitive that you have to click on the "error" link, but then you can click on "xyz is ACCURATE" and add the sources there. It's an endorsement rather than an error report.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jrock20041

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Here is the list of things I would love to see improved on

- Episode have an air date
- Tell me in the anime and manga is ongoing or completed
- API allow data to be return in either XML or JSON
JuanDmarco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if this is the place to suggest this, but I'd personally really like if there were pages for characters, similar to the ones for voice actors, at least for major-ish ones. I think it would be better if you just want to know the different voice actors of a character, and it would be easier to know who a character is in some cases where it isn't clear.
mbanu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this is something that could be worked out with the API, but two things that would be useful:

A way to produce a list of all attributions that use Wikipedia or Japanese Wikipedia as a source, to create a "To Do" list of stats that need an alternate source.

A way to find English dubs with multiple voice actors or production staff listed for the same role, to create a list of shows that need a higher level of precision (like when the license passed to a new company who created a new dub, or when a higher-definition version was released that had a new staff list.)

If these already exist, my apologies. Anime smile (If you could point me in the direction, I'd really appreciate it.)
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
Not sure if this is a known issue, but companies that have the same kanji name do not appear to get caught in the Disambiguator (TM) the same way as people.

company#8902
company#11238

I noticed that these companies have the same kanji listed, but when I submit:

In-Between Animation: 誠品動画 (ep 8)

The credit goes straight to ChengPin Donghua, without notifying me that it could also be Eslite Animation, which would generally prompt me to look into it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Feature request: "also known as" feature for companies who have changed name so all their titles are linked in one place but the historic name is still preserved (e.g. animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-01/optimum-releasing-changes-name-to-studiocanal)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Audiobook as a release option (there's only one currently that I am aware of, but I've had to fudge it)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Since the staff seems to be pleased with the modified Schulze ranking used for "best and worst of the week", the thought of adding it to the Top 10 pages here and here occurs to me. ANN already has an implementation of the algorithm in use, so I can't imagine it would take too long to code. Would it be prohibitively difficult to compute? I don't know how often those update (every page load? once a week? once a month?), and I don't know what O(n^3) translates in real time to when you have like 10,000 candidates. Though a 10,000x10,000 table sounds like a lot of cache misses...

If that's not feasible, how about allowing users to select anime or manga for Schulze rankings of their own? Kind of like the "Compare Credits" feature. Though I'd still like to see an encyclopedia-wide comparison even as just a one-time thing, maybe a blog or forum post.
annasartin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
I'd like to suggest adding this title, please:
http://www.anime-planet.com/anime/shinran-sama-negai-soshite-hikari
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
The purpose of this thread is to make suggestions on the structure or functionality of the encyclopedia, not content. You should go here to go through the process of adding an anime to the encyclopedia.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Adding album/single releases to creators' pages? Especially since seiyuu's music releases are published pretty much just for fans of their anime work. And as another person said, adding iTunes/Amazon links could bring in affiliate revenue.
Calico

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
It's be nice to have a way to sort titles awaiting approval by the amount of endorsements/opposements that they've received. I've been looking through the approval section recently, and it's hard to figure out which titles to focus on. (Some of those titles have been stuck waiting for approval for years).
Edit: It would also be useful to have a way to edit submissions, such as if there are alternate titles we forgot but want to add in order to make finding it easier.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Calico wrote:
It's be nice to have a way to sort titles awaiting approval by the amount of endorsements/opposements that they've received. I've been looking through the approval section recently, and it's hard to figure out which titles to focus on. (Some of those titles have been stuck waiting for approval for years).
Edit: It would also be useful to have a way to edit submissions, such as if there are alternate titles we forgot but want to add in order to make finding it easier.

I definitely support this. I've made some encyclopedia additions that have been waiting for approval for years. Leaving entries in purgatory like that seems counter intuitive since the older a show gets, the less information and relevancy a proper page will have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21