• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I have a question. There's only mention of the sub work continuing for Nanoha. However, it seems to be a confirmed fact that the dubbing also continued. I mean, the English actresses themselves have said as much and talked about the work for this one and Familiar of Zero. (And supposedly Funimation is releasing both with Geneon's production work so I'm curious why the news item leaves this information out. It makes it seem like any release would be sub-only.)

I as wondering about that too. I want to assume that we'll still get dubs since there hasn't been a release date set yet Razz
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It's entirely likely that Funimation might have been (might still be) toying with the idea of a subs only release. Nanoha is a pretty niche anime as far as North America goes, so it's more than reasonable to assume that they may have considered subs only to limit the cost and to get it out as soon as possible.

In Japan, Nanoha is quite popular among the Otakus so it's really no surprise that its getting the movie treatment after three seasons worth of shows.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
It's entirely likely that Funimation might have been (might still be) toying with the idea of a subs only release. Nanoha is a pretty niche anime as far as North America goes, so it's more than reasonable to assume that they may have considered subs only to limit the cost and to get it out as soon as possible.

In Japan, Nanoha is quite popular among the Otakus so it's really no surprise that its getting the movie treatment after three seasons worth of shows.

The flaw with that logic is that the Nanoha dubs are already finished. The money to have a dub produced has already been paid courtesy of Geneon. Putting out a sub-only set for a series that already has a finished dub just seems... stupid.
Nebs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope this movie announcement isn't the only thing special about the 100th issue of Megami. They went all out with their 50th issue, & I was hoping they'd do even more for the big 100. But if this Nanoha news is the only thing, well... I don't even like Nanoha. =\
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Zeiram

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
yeah, heard there was a new stereo drama taking place 3 years after StrikerS
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Will this new movie involve Nanoha and Fate admitting their true affections towards each other?!

Yeah, sure. And then they start to fight for the Clow cards. Nanoha and Fate will never be something more than a weird kind of friends, a very weird kind.

I would prefer a movie like the DBZ movies, only good fights and a powerful bad guy who dies at the end. Too soon for a retelling.

Hehe yeah if you watch Strikers its strongly implied that their is more then just friendship between Nanoha and Fate.

spoiler[Also like its been mentioned they raise a daughter togethor ]

I partially agree with you. Before StrikerS, Nanoha and Fate were only close friends, they never acted in other way; but in StrikerS they started to act as a married couple. The weird thing is that they act as a lovers but they never admited it. I think is for a defect in recent animes, writers try to make everybody happy. Some people like to think "Nanoha and Fate are a couple" but others don't like the idea of a gay heroine (I do, I like yuri) and for them Nanoha and Fate never kissed each other and they will never do. Many twists in anime are decided for that reason, for example nobody dies in Bleach because many useless captains and liutenants are popular.

My point is, enjoy the movie but don't expect a kiss. It will have a lot of explosions, that's enough.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect anything explicit either but they drop enough hints that the two are more then just friends to make it a question of some debate. Granted its not as bad as My-Hime with spoiler[Shizuru and Natsuki] boy did that one leave NO doubts whatsoever.

Last edited by Brians9824 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
DarkHunter6523 wrote:

The flaw with that logic is that the Nanoha dubs are already finished. The money to have a dub produced has already been paid courtesy of Geneon. Putting out a sub-only set for a series that already has a finished dub just seems... stupid.

The other flaw is that FUNimation isn't making these decisions anyway, they are just distributing the discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DarkHunter6523

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:

Well, if it's all been paid already then it's most likely just a random mistake. Anime hyper

Either that or Geneon said no to the dub...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
DarkHunter6523 wrote:
Either that or Geneon said no to the dub...
Which would just be moronic considering it would lessen the sales potential of a series that will already have a ton of people against it like all of the "oh dear lord, this series contains young girls, clearly it must be pedo material or moe and thus must be burned in a great pile of DVDs!" types.

Why would Geneon say no to the dub anyway? They signed off on Odex dubbing, it's not like they have insanely high standards. Besides, from what I've heard, the dub is supposed to be extremely good. (And they've already paid for it so what would be the point in pissing that money down the drain by not including it on the DVDs?)
Brians9824

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I always think of this image and the reactions you get when people see you watching this type of genre. Like its been mentioned their will be enough obstacles to sales without restricting it to sub only when they have already paid for dub.

I'd kill for a SE dvd to movie though with little extras like mini replicas of the weapons or the weapons in jewel form. Who wouldnt want Raging Heart and Bardiche on their shelves?

Last edited by Brians9824 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
that would be awesome to have their weapons, even in jewel form would be great
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:06 pm Reply with quote
It's rather sad that anime fans won't let other anime fans like things any more. People are getting really crazy with the hate lately. This forum is starting to get angrier and more hate-filled too.

I can't get past how many times I've read a post about how much someone hates a paticular genre (it's almost always moe) and when pressed admits they've never actually watched any of the shows that they are hating on. A lot of people will take one look at Nanoha and say "I hate that crap" without even watching so much as a trailer for it. The character designs alone are enough for some to hate it.

If it's to have any chance at all here in R1 land (where liking anime makes you a freak and liking anime with cuteness or young girls makes you a freak to anime fans) then it needs the English dub. It also needs people to actually give the material a chance rather than a knee-jerk cover reaction.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Why would Geneon say no to the dub anyway? They signed off on Odex dubbing, it's not like they have insanely high standards.

Again, there is no-one for them to say "no" to, since Geneon are still authoring the discs - FUNimation are just distributing them. It also wasn't dubbed by Odex - the company responsible has never been named but you can meet a bunch of the cast membershere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Brians9824

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
It's rather sad that anime fans won't let other anime fans like things any more. People are getting really crazy with the hate lately. This forum is starting to get angrier and more hate-filled too.

I can't get past how many times I've read a post about how much someone hates a paticular genre (it's almost always moe) and when pressed admits they've never actually watched any of the shows that they are hating on. A lot of people will take one look at Nanoha and say "I hate that crap" without even watching so much as a trailer for it. The character designs alone are enough for some to hate it.

If it's to have any chance at all here in R1 land (where liking anime makes you a freak and liking anime with cuteness or young girls makes you a freak to anime fans) then it needs the English dub. It also needs people to actually give the material a chance rather than a knee-jerk cover reaction.

Haven't really seen anyone here really bash it for the genre. I agree that it WILL get bashed but I think people watching it will be really surprised. Its not standard fare for the magical girl shows and has ALOT of action that will really catch people off guard. Plus the show gets dark as hell.

I mean the whole story behind Fate is just freaking awesome in how messed up it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3