• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: St. Seiya/Versailles/Yu-Gi-Oh! Designer Shingo Araki Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellfish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
I was wondering why haven't you reported it yet. I guess you were confirming the details or something.

He lived a long and fruitful life but still it feels like it wasn't enough, and I wish he could have done way more. He was one of the few character designers who I liked better than the original mangakas. I will miss him very much.

My condolences to Himeno Michi Sad and the rest of his family.

Last edited by Hellfish on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:38 am Reply with quote
I was originally introduced to Shingo Araki's character designs and animation work with Saint Seiya, back in my early days as a fan. He definitely left a strong and distinctive impression, to say the least, despite my eventually moving past that specific property in later years.

In retrospect, realizing that Araki contributed to so many other projects is more than enough proof of his artistic skill. It's always sad to see such a talented animator go, even if most of us never had the opportunity to know him on a personal level, but Araki has already left his mark in the history of anime. The legacy of his work will certainly continue to live on, as long as there are still people throughout the world who can remember and appreciate it.

May he rest in peace.
MasterGhost

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. One of the best character designers ever.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:08 am Reply with quote
R.I.P.
Banjo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
..... such sad news Sad

he is one of the best artists out there. I love all episodes of UFO robot Grendizer that he got involved in especially Robina's episode. Rest In Piece dear Araki san.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote
Another legend of the anime industry lost this year? This is getting to be too much...

Araki was just such a great character designer, and since he was also an animation director the titles he worked on generally flowed well too, in terms of the animation itself. Animes like Saint Seiya and Ring ni Kakero 1 just won't be the same without him. But, at the same time, at least it made sense why titles like two last two seasons of Ring ni Kakero 1 (Shadow & Sekai Taikai-hen) featured a third character designer alongside Araki & Himeno; Araki was getting older and probably wanted his skills to be passed down to other people.

At least, that's my guess.

RIP
sainta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Man, he made such an amazing work in Saint Seiya in the character designs that I think he was responsible for the enormous sales of action figures. There are two Yugioh anime series, did he work in the first one that was really violent or the second one which is the most known?

RIP Shingo Araki.
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching his works such as UFO Robo Grendizer and Rose of Versailes. And continued watching his works until now. I am glad that I bought the Saint Seiya BD set few days ago. This i consider as my last tribute to him.

The anime industry will not be the same without you (well its not the same anymore for me). You will be missed but never forgotten, your works will continue to inspire and entertain generations to come.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Why do great people keep on dying?
Then we get crappy teenage/young adult replacements.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Shingo Araki's beautiful character designs were one of the main reasons why Saint Seiya was such a crossover hit, attracting a lot of female viewers. I can't wait for my movie box to arrive so I can enjoy his and Michi Himeno's gorgeous artwork in high definition. He may be gone, but his amazing work will live forever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1