• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Ocean Waves

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quotation of Dream

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
A lovely appreciation of a gentle, underrated treasure Justin. Thank you.

I bridle a little, however, at your dismissal of the Ghibli film about the "Japanese Venice" lattice of canals so beautifully and calmly filmed in "Yanagawa Horiwari Monogatari". My wife and I used to watch five minutes of this (rather long) documentary at a time, to soothe ourselves before sleep, over about one month. It worked a treat!

Seriously, YHM was a sensitive Ghibli labour of love which deserves better than the timeworn dismissal "boring". Like so many Japanese artifacts, just give it time to work its magic and the rewards will be there. It's worthy its place in the canon.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
I know I'm late, but I just watched this having skimmed the article, and it is easily one of my alltime favorite anime movies and possibly my favorite Ghibli film. I simply can't fault it in any way - totally engrossing, entertaining, and fulfilling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
After reading Justin's column, I went and checked it out online. The price is reasonable and I will definitely get it when I can. I will just have to get a good regionless DVD player. Very Happy
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Dragging this up again, I just wanted to make a few comments.

Having seen a number of current live action Japanese films of late, both of the "arthouse" variety and mainstream, I wouldn't necessarily put Ocean Waves as being a combination of "arthouse" and anime. It's leisurely, but it doesn't have the stoic disposition most arthouse fare tend to display.

In many ways, it's closer to the naturalistic fare of Yoji Yamada of the 60s, with the gentle, bemused tone of late Ozu (although it's less rigorous and less subtle than even your average Ozu film.)

Ocean Waves is actually much closer in feel to Mochizuki's previous film, KOR: I Want to Return to That Day and is actually less "artsy" in feel compared to the latter film. (Keep in mind the KOR movie is VASTLY different in feel to KOR the TV series so you can't really compare the series with the movie outside of the characterizations)

It's a fascinating movie compared to Ghibli's usual output but I can see many people being disappointed in it when they finally get around to watching it. It isn't the be-all and end-all of high school drama. There isn't a particularly exacting degree of psychological analysis in here. I, however, was pleasantly surprised by OW all the same. Even though it was a made-for-TV movie, it's very obvious to me that this film could play in a theatre without losing a step. There's a great sense of compositional depth and spatial awareness in Ocean Waves that you just don't find in most TV anime. The dialogue dodges almost all the familiar notes of high school anime and these characters actually act like they're young adults rather than overgrown preteens. It is most definitely a "real" film through and through.
RedTail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Optimum apparently released this a couple weeks ago on R2 DVD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ocean-Waves-DVD-Tomomi-Mochizuki/dp/B002BC9YHA/ref=pd_mw_d_h__1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Give it a couple months, and I'm sure the price will drop to around $10 like their other Ghibli movies.
KayJay123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Does Rikako remind anyone else of Scarlett O'Hara?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I thought this thread smelled a bit musty. Wink Yeah the UK has had this released for a few months now. Ocean waves has to be the second most realistic slice of life movie I've seen from Studio Ghibli. Only Yesterday being the first. spoiler[ Rikako is acting like most adolescent teenagers could act when facing the breakup of their family and having to move far away with one of them. Am I the only one who noticed that time had passed by a few years when he meets up with her at the station in the end? ] As for KOR, spoiler[I don't hold that it cornered the market for face slappings because of misunderstandings, nor was there a love triangle in Ocean Waves] and because of that there's no comparison to me. Apples and oranges. Wink
gwern

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The only thing I find slightly off about it is that Taku and Rikako spoiler[seem to get together at the end]. I find it a little hard to believe given their experiences together in the film…it really seems more like a tale of spoiler[an awkward, failed, first love] and having that at the end felt a bit like a crowd-pleaser.

I agree; _Umi_'s signature mood and theme is regret, somewhat like _Only Yesterday_ but less rural. If Taku and Rikako had met and Rikako had realized how she blew her high school years and the wasted possibilities, that would have been the thematically fitting end. Going for the re-union end makes it more like a feel-good movie ('you can always make up for lost time!').

(Rikako's sins are legion: pushing away *both* boys who liked her, the one who did her favor after favor and the one objectively a catch; treating her only friend as a tool and brutally riding roughshod over her deep distress; and driving away every potential friend, making no memories worth having; picking the wrong parent and then stabbing her mother in the back by transferring to Tokyo - the list just goes on! I can understand why people compare it to _Kimagure Orange Road_ - it is very similar to the movie - but honestly, Madoka is much more sensible and less self-destructive than Rikako.)

Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't hold that it cornered the market for face slappings because of misunderstandings, nor was there a love triangle in Ocean Waves

Er... what? Did we watch the same movie? Did you miss the entire love triangle between the girl and 2 boys? How they say at the end the protagonist held back even though he liked Rikako too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3