• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Club Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I sure hope Greg Ayres' singing voice is better than his DJ "skills" on the turntables, he doesn't have any sense in creating good (let alone decent) beats, and he samples music that should never, ever be sampled like Green Day.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Much like most/all of Funi's new releases the School Rumble OVA does not have the alternate angle feature which was found on the series' release. I think this is firm confirmation that Funimation is no longer including both versions of the credits. It seems as though series that were in progress continued to have this feature while newer series lacked it. Not a big issue for most of us, but still a bit sad for me.
Peothra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
I found the Beck boxset for 50 at Best Buy. I plan on getting it there if I can't find a good deal at Otako

Good Luck! Cons raise the price...not make it cheaper! When I got Last Exile for $50 I had to do the Happy Dance! You should Grab Beck and Run!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Peothra wrote:
Eos wrote:
I found the Beck boxset for 50 at Best Buy. I plan on getting it there if I can't find a good deal at Otako

Good Luck! Cons raise the price...not make it cheaper! When I got Last Exile for $50 I had to do the Happy Dance! You should Grab Beck and Run!

Is that always the case? I mean, maybe for DVDs, but Ikasucon was selling anime OSTs (legit ones, of course) for $12 each, and I had never seen those for that cheap.
Cat Megex

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
Much like most/all of Funi's new releases the School Rumble OVA does not have the alternate angle feature which was found on the series' release. I think this is firm confirmation that Funimation is no longer including both versions of the credits. It seems as though series that were in progress continued to have this feature while newer series lacked it. Not a big issue for most of us, but still a bit sad for me.

...That's odd. I had heard that it was the other way around. (That the newer FUNimation DVDs had the alternate angle feature, while older ones didn't.)
x1onexwo1fx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
i got a strangely pleasant tingly feeling several times reading that Beck review. i might have to start watching that again.
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely a box of spray paint... on one of the cans you can clearly see rust-ole...

You know what surprises me? The Quincy ME DVD... it's soo... random, compared to all the cute and cuddly and yuri stuff. It's really nice to see people with diverse interests... that makes me feel like less of a weirdo.

I mean, I know I am weird, just not all THAT weird. Wink

I'm also not weird enough to want to buy Maiko Haaaan!!! even though I appreciate the theme.
Chilipop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Haha, didn't think my shelves would have so much discussion. Smile

Longtime reader, first time poster. I couldn't resist lol.

1. Yup those are spray cans. I do a lot of street art and shirts.
2. The Bawls bottles are night lights I'm wiring for some friends.
3. Yuri is teh awesome

Batman3777 wrote:
You know what surprises me? The Quincy ME DVD... it's soo... random, compared to all the cute and cuddly and yuri stuff. It's really nice to see people with diverse interests... that makes me feel like less of a weirdo.

Quincy is awesome! Without Quincy, there would never be CSI! And I'm sure you're not a weirdo, if you like Quincy...Quincy is teh shiz.

That aside, I'd like to actually comment on shelf life itself. I'm glad the boxset for Beck is out, that's something I'm planning on getting.

The one thing I don't get are the arguments that always seem to pop up when discussion of the dubs vs the subs for the songs are put on the table. I love the original soundtrack, but I also love the dub soundtrack- there isn't any doubt that Grey Ayres and Brina Palencia are great singers that do the soundtrack justice.

I also didn't mind that the dub fixed up some 'engrish' lyrics and made the songs make more sense in context.

Someone once argued with me that they disliked the english dub because the fixed up english made the cast sound too sophisticated, and not a backwater band like they were supposed to be.

I guess it can be seen both ways...but the dub is good, I can't disagree with that.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize it was out.

Last edited by Chilipop on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Batman3777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Chilipop wrote:
Haha, didn't think my shelves would have so much discussion. Smile

Longtime reader, first time poster. I couldn't resist lol.

1. Yup those are spray cans. I do a lot of street art and shirts.
2. The Bawls bottles are night lights I'm wiring for some friends.
3. Yuri is teh awesome

[quote=Batman3777]You know what surprises me? The Quincy ME DVD... it's soo... random, compared to all the cute and cuddly and yuri stuff. It's really nice to see people with diverse interests... that makes me feel like less of a weirdo.

Quincy is awesome! Without Quincy, there would never be CSI! And I'm sure you're not a weirdo, if you like Quincy...Quincy is teh shiz.

That aside, I'd like to actually comment on shelf life itself. I'm glad the boxset for Beck is out, that's something I'm planning on getting.

The one thing I don't get are the arguments that always seem to pop up when discussion of the dubs vs the subs for the songs are put on the table. I love the original soundtrack, but I also love the dub soundtrack- there isn't any doubt that Grey Ayres and Brina Palencia are great singers that do the soundtrack justice.

I also didn't mind that the dub fixed up some 'engrish' lyrics and made the songs make more sense in context.

Someone once argued with me that they disliked the english dub because the fixed up english made the cast sound too sophisticated, and not a backwater band like they were supposed to be.

I guess it can be seen both ways...but the dub is good, I can't disagree with that.

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't realize it was out.

Welcome! it's always nice to have someone else join the frey that is the ANN forum. Laughing
Chilipop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the welcome! cheers
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
First "Perishable" in a while, I think.

Nah, there was one a week or three back.

Quote:
There's also singing and dancing, and who doesn't like that?

*raises hand*

That could be part of why I have no interest in Beck, despite all the folks decrying sliced bread as a false prophet ... or maybe it's the dread of "band-centric anime" after Gravitation and Aquarian Age.

As to the collection, one thumb up for alphabetization (sorry Bamboo, but AzuDai comes before Quincy, so the DVDs don't count.) On a related note, would somebody mind Photoshopping the DVD case between SkyHigh and Yu Yu Hakusho?

Sorry to see you folks won't be around this weekend (we will miss you, so Zac, please forgive folks for not knowing the senior editors' names.) Make sure to spend the extra time training .. does it have to be a full series/season or is there an episode threshold after which point it counts as marathoning?
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Cat Megex wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

...That's odd. I had heard that it was the other way around. (That the newer FUNimation DVDs had the alternate angle feature, while older ones didn't.)

An unfortunate bug in my DVD player's firmware has provided several years of empirical evidence that the older Funimation titles do indeed offer the multi-angle feature. I cannot confirm its absence in newer titles however.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:01 am Reply with quote
Already watching season 2 of Sasami dubbed in Tagalog. Plot's starting to flesh out, as mentioned upthread. Would have given the show a pass if it weren't for the dub cast. (The seiyuu for the five main girls were all under eighteen when they did the show, so I haven't heard them in anything.)

Never got into Beck, though that mainly has to do with the celebrity voice-casting (actual musicians) in the Tagalog dub.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Beck is one of my favorite series, both the anime and the manga, and I'm really looking forward to the soundtrack coming out, if it ever does. Slip Out is such a good track, and Greg Ayres sings it so well. The band covers so many genres, anyone can get into the show.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:35 am Reply with quote
Good luck with the Triathlon, Bamboo!

I am pretty much a Tench Muyo rube, and until I saw this review, I was going to buy Sasami sight unseen, but maybe I'll rent it first now. I was a little dissapointed in the lack of returning voices in either the English or Japanese side. I also saw the trailer at Funi's site, and the way they were pronoucing Sasami's name seemed off to me.

Even though I am a dub fan, if you like a good Magical Girl parody, you must check out (the sub-only) Magical Project S - a classic!

I am a big School Rumble fan (both anime AND manga) and so I bought the OVA sight unseen. While there was enjoyable material, it hardly seemed worth the prices of admission - I mean the first episode was all a rehash of what came in the first season! Yet I paid the same price I paid for the singles of Season 1. I felt a bit ripped off.

Quincy - a classic show featuring Jack Klugman whom I watched for years opposite Tony Randall in The Odd Couple (there I go dating myself again! Please don't any of you youngsters reply, "What's the Odd Couple?" - you'll make me cry!). Ranks up there with other classic shows like Columbo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4