• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Man Arrested for Pirated Anime DVD Auctions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Free market economies dictate that prices are set by the amount people are willing to pay for them.

But never mind, let's excuse all piracy because people on the internet from another country think it's too much money. Rolling Eyes
Would you pay $500 for a series box set?
If the series had never been released on DVD and I wanted{and had the cash to blow} I would. Before the Dragonbox release, DB(Z,GT,Movies) had never been released in Japan before outside the VHS for the movies.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

No. But having chosen not do so, I wouldn't steal it either.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:39 pm Reply with quote
JINROH wrote:
It does help.I think over time we will start to see more reports like this,over there and over here in NA.

I think one of the things about Japan is that since it is quite a bit smaller than us land wise, news gets around to more places in Japan than it does over here. That's why in my opinion so many people get wind of what's going on and realizing that there really is a movement to stop these kinds of things. We're kind of stretched out here in the US.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
I think one of the things about Japan is that since it is quite a bit smaller than us land wise, news gets around to more places in Japan than it does over here.

They have roughly half the US population in the space of California. The news is handled by fewer sources and they all tend to parrot the same stories. Once this gains critical mass the word will be out. Eventually we'll see if the replacements for Share and Winny can be breached or not. Since I never use any P2P systems I won't be missing any of it. To the uploaders, you had it coming. It's only a matter of time until the downloaders get their own law. It's really hard to feel bad about any of this.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It's just too sad to have to see the law wasting their time (and our money) punishing such passive crimes, really.

What the man was doing was thievery, and as someone who works in retail, I'll tell you that stealing IS a serious crime. Also, unless you live in Japan, your money was not affected at all. I guarantee you that your tax money probably does go to a few stupid and irrelevant things, but enforcing the law isn't one of them.

Also, KAtchan15, now you're picking on me. Enough already, I apologize. I don't think I should have to, since I felt I only overly-exaggerated the guy's opinion, not attack him directly by calling him an idiot or something, and the guy should have known he was sticking his head in the lion's den by making an extreme comment like that. But I seriously hope you don't expect anyone else to apologize, my comment was the only one that was possibly crossing the line.

"There're always going to be people who think differently than others, and questioning their beliefs or proving them wrong doesn't really help."

Sounds like the classic defense "don't push your beliefs on me". Of course, saying that phrase itself is hypocritical, as you just made yourself guilty of doing the very deed.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"There're always going to be people who think differently than others, and questioning their beliefs or proving them wrong doesn't really help."

Sounds like the classic defense "don't push your beliefs on me". Of course, saying that phrase itself is hypocritical, as you just made yourself guilty of doing the very deed.
What are you talking about? My point was that you should let him say what he wants, and not attack his opinion the way you did.

Quote:
I don't think I should have to, since I felt I only overly-exaggerated the guy's opinion, not attack him directly by calling him an idiot or something

It sure didn't come off that way to me. It's not like I can hear your tone, you came off rude and overly sarcastic based on your writing. =/

I'm glad you apologized [even though you don't think you should have] and realized that you've kinda crossed the line by what you said. [Just be careful with the words you use next time. Very Happy ]

Quote:
But I seriously hope you don't expect anyone else to apologize, my comment was the only one that was possibly crossing the line.

Truthfully, I wasn't really going to comment until I saw your response. Onso is a close friend of mine [Yes, I know him personally]. He's a really REALLY sweet guy [I treat him like a kid brother even though we're the same age]. And I guess knowing him personally, added up to my frustration in seeing what you said as well. I am guilty in assuming that everyone else's comments were as bad as yours was.

Anyway, what's done is done, nothing more I can do about it. [I won't feel guilty that I didn't at least try to stand up for my friend.]

Now, let's all just get along and be happy. Very Happy [It's summer time dammit! Anime hyper]

Another thing I must add is that, a lot of people are expressing how much they hate piracy or how wrong they think it is, but I bet you half of them have purchased something pirated at least once in their whole lives. Laughing [Not that anyone would admit it in a forum.]

Last edited by KAtchan15 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!

You're not paying for how much it costs to make the physical media; you're paying for how much it costs to create the contents that goes into the media.

Ok so like...$10...$15 then.

Yeah, pretty much; that's how much it's worth to you. The rest of the market also have their own worths. In economic terms, it's "value." People place different values on things, like how much you want to outbid for an auction. To many Dragonball fans, it's worth it. And I'm sure there's stuff you have that they aren't willing to pay the price you paid for.

The trick for the producers is to set a price that makes a profit by how much the market values it. If enough people don't buy at that price (the value is low), then they have to lower the price - or of course, vice versa. So, if you don't think it's worth it to you, then don't buy it. If enough people do the same, then price lowering is forthcoming. But if enough people pay the price, then you're just outbid and out of luck - the market didn't agree with you.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Another thing I must add is that, a lot of people are expressing how much they hate piracy or how wrong they think it is, but I bet you half of them have purchased something pirated at least once in their whole lives. Laughing

Only by accident, I was a noobie 2 years ago, and didn't know "FX" was a major bootlegger. Since then, that FMA OST 1 case is used as a coaster, the actual disc is in the garbage, and the genuine release was bought recently. Edit: But really, that just gives me all the more reason to hate piracy. $15 is too much for a coaster! Very Happy

"It sure didn't come off that way to me. It's not like I can hear your tone, you came off rude and overly sarcastic based on your writing. =/"

I see it this way. Let's say someone says they are a DBZ fan. I then proceed to mock every aspect of DBZ in a rude and sarcastic manner. That being said, I'm only insulting their opinion. I've done nothing to suggest that they're objectively wrong, merely stating what I personally feel about the matter, albiet in an unkind manner.

Now, if I had said every DBZ fan is a brainless idiot who deserves to be hit in the head to get some sense knocked into them (note: I'm a mild fan of DBZ, this is only an example), then I've crossed the line by insulting them, not their opinion. If Onso was truly offended by my comment, then I apologize (and in a sincere manner), but I'm used to being with friends where we'll be extreme about our opinions (but not to the point of personal insults, of course). If one of my buddies suddenly dropped a bomb like Onso did (and did nothing to further reinforce why he feels that way), you bet there would be similar reactions like this thread had. It's just a natural reaction.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Quote:

What are you talking about? My point was that you should let him say what he wants, and not attack his opinion the way you did.

Yeah, the way he attacked the guy's opinion was over the top, but opinions can be attacked, just preferably reasonably and logically. Heck, this opinion of mine can be attacked right now. Laughing

There's nothing wrong with questioning beliefs or trying to prove someone wrong. Even if that doesn't change someone's mind, it may affect the minds of other people going along with the discussions. But the manner they go about it goes a long way.

KAtchan15 wrote:

Quote:
But I seriously hope you don't expect anyone else to apologize, my comment was the only one that was possibly crossing the line.

Truthfully, I wasn't really going to comment until I saw your response. Onso is a close friend of mine [Yes, I know him personally]. He's a really REALLY sweet guy [I treat him like a kid brother even though we're the same age]. And I guess knowing him personally, added up to my frustration in seeing what you said as well. I am guilty in assuming that everyone else's comments were as bad as yours was.

This sounds like a setup to many an eroge.... Very Happy

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
SeinenAi wrote:

However, look at the original price of the box sets he was pirating...uh, who is the criminal exactly? It probably costs like $5 to make, and they sell it for $500? Come. On.

Ps. I am not saying the guy was right to sell it, but maybe people wouldn't have bought from him if the prices were a little less insane!

You're not paying for how much it costs to make the physical media; you're paying for how much it costs to create the contents that goes into the media.

Ok so like...$10...$15 then.

Yeah, pretty much; that's how much it's worth to you. The rest of the market also have their own worths. In economic terms, it's "value." People place different values on things, like how much you want to outbid for an auction. To many Dragonball fans, it's worth it. And I'm sure there's stuff you have that they aren't willing to pay the price you paid for.

The trick for the producers is to set a price that makes a profit by how much the market values it. If enough people don't buy at that price (the value is low), then they have to lower the price - or of course, vice versa. So, if you don't think it's worth it to you, then don't buy it. If enough people do the same, then price lowering is forthcoming. But if enough people pay the price, then you're just outbid and out of luck - the market didn't agree with you.
Funny thing about the sets the man was bootlegging is that buying all the single releases Toei put out after the intial Dragonbox release equal the cost of buying the equivalent Dragonbox for those episodes{excluding tax}. So either way Toei was and is making a killing off the 10 release phases. Since the Dragonbox single releases were chart toppers, most Japanese really didn't have a problem with the 40 dollar for 6 episodes per disk.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Oops.

Last edited by enurtsol on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Only by accident, I was a noobie 2 years ago, and didn't know "FX" was a major bootlegger. Since then, that FMA OST 1 case is used as a coaster, the actual disc is in the garbage, and the genuine release was bought recently. Edit: But really, that just gives me all the more reason to hate piracy. $15 is too much for a coaster! Very Happy
Yeah, it really is. lol

Quote:
If one of my buddies suddenly dropped a bomb like Onso did (and did nothing to further reinforce why he feels that way), you bet there would be similar reactions like this thread had. It's just a natural reaction.

Ha, me and Onso [Don't think I should reveal his real name. Kinda feels awkward calling him Onso though Laughing ] watch Avatar and we had different opinions concerning the finale. He says it's perfect, an absolute win, but I said I didn't like that much because there were many loose ends left unanswered. The conversation was never resolved because we both just shrugged and left it alone. I hate to admit it, but I guess we're both kinda stubborn [especially me]. Anime hyper

@enurtsol I don't even know what eroge means. Anime dazed hahaha
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:29 pm Reply with quote
KAtchan15 wrote:
Ha, me and my buddy Onso [Don't think I should reveal his real name. Kinda feels awkward calling him Onso though Laughing ] watch Avatar and we had different opinions concerning the finale. He says it's perfect an absolute win, but I said it sucked because there're many loose ends left unanswered. The conversation was never resolved because we both just shrugged and left it alone. I hate to admit it, but I guess we're both kinda stubborn [especially me]. Anime hyper

Well, now I'm with "Onso" on this one. Aside from spoiler[the location of Zuko's mom], what was left open? And keep in mind I'm in the spoiler["Jet's death was confirmed by the writers, so that's that" camp], so no good mentioning that to me.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
" spoiler["Jet's death was confirmed by the writers, so that's that" camp], so no good mentioning that to me."
Shocked I didn't know that! Aww Well...that sucks.

Then again, spoiler[What happened to Azula after she lost her mind was never shown. ] And spoiler[Is Zuko's mother alive or dead? Shocked Because I'm pretty sure that when Azula saw her mother's reflection the mirror, she was just seeing an illusion caused by her guilt and mental instability caused by everything that's going on around her. Then again, she could be dead. *nods*] I really wish they continue this series though. Evil or Very Mad
Panda Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
Free market economies dictate that prices are set by the amount people are willing to pay for them.

But never mind, let's excuse all piracy because people on the internet from another country think it's too much money. Rolling Eyes

Depends on what it is. I bought all 4 Haruhi LE DVDs and it cost me $200. So, some people really are collectors. Also, there is no way to make piracy of that kind alright. I don't mind Fan Subs to much as long as it is not licensed for a US release. But, downloading when its licensed is bad to me. The same for if you copy an actual dvd and sell the copies. It's alright to make copies for personal use, but making money is one the the worst things you can do to mess up a company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6