• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Makes me want to re-visit the series and see what all the hula-balu is about.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Gotta love this volume. The beginning of the next part of the story...ah, so enjoyable and so worthy of reading over and over again. My copy is actually a little bent from all the times I re-read it. >.>

And if you liked seeing Sakura in this volume...wait until the later volumes. She gets better.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
I'm following it in Shonen Jump. It was pretty cool seeing them all older...but, he kinda dropped the ball by having the biggest fight of the new arc be Sakura's (well it's nice to see her doing something for a change). Sasuke isn't around and the series still isn't about Naruto! I'm looking forward to see where this is going, now that the story is focusing more on the Jinchuriki, etc. And I want to see Naruto have his big moment where we get to see the results of his training.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Naruto got as good a review as he deserves. This manga is really perfect and much better than anime (especially Shippuuden).
Kyokat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Who is this happy reviewer and what have they done with Casey? Razz Good review.
braves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading on Naruto as the volumes come out. I haven't been enjoying it as much as before, but I think it most likely has to do with the fact that I've been spoiled on so many things. Anime cry Which is the main reason that I'm following the manga now, instead of waiting for the anime to catch up, I don't want to spoiled anymore.

Also, I never though I'd see Naruto get an "A" rating on ANN. Very Happy Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit that when I heard there was a timeskip I thought it smacked of gimmickry; maybe I'm just jaded by Dragon Ball's aborted Great Saiyaman saga.

But Naruto's timeskip actually turned out to be exactly what the series needed. Our hero looks far less like a goofy kid and more like, well, an action hero. And Kishimoto manages to use the skip to fix a lot of problems with the series. Orichimaru is no longer the only villain, time has given the characters enough distance from Sasuke's betrayal so they're not constantly whining about it, and Sakura is no longer a useless weakling, instead she's arguably the most useful character in the series, healing wounds one minute and leveling mountains with a punch the next.

She also gets the only major battle this arc, which is fine by me, since Naruto still gets to show off one of his new attacks and everyone gets one or two good moments.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Surprised I've found out your secret; you only write enjoyable, non-depressing reviews when you like the series you have to review. Wink

In other words, I've never liked Naruto, but I did think the chapter I read from this volume was better than the one chapter I read in volume one.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Sakura is no longer a useless weakling, instead she's arguably the most useful character in the series, healing wounds one minute and leveling mountains with a punch the next.

I'll be honest, it wasn't the improved abilities that impressed me as much, but Sakura's personal growth. Here we had someone who was almost universally despised by the fanbase from the get-go, and for good reason. However, she slowly matured in Part 1, but lacked the strength to help those she had grown to care for. The time-skip fixed that, allowing her improved maturity to be matched with improved abilities. And I think it was her time apart from Naruto (along with the selfless acts he peformed in the final act of Part 1) that also helped her appreciate him more, and even as a die-hard Naruto/Hinata supporter, I enjoy the Naruto/Sakura moments nowadays.

In terms of character development, I think Sakura is one of Kishi's better successes (along with Naruto, Part 1's Sasuke since spoiler[Part 2's Sasuke has pretty much stayed the same until recently], Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Shikamaru). I really hope she gets her chance to shine in the final battles of the series, she's definitely earned it.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
I love how Kishimoto has changed his art style and storytelling style for this new part of the story. The Akatsuki have definitely been some very memorable villains. Each one of the them has their own unique skills and characteristics. And for those who've read ahead, Akatsuki's leader has definitely lived up to the hype!

The story has taken a much darker, edgier feel. Plus, I like how this past year's chapters have had tons of action and interesting plot development, especially in regards to spoiler[Sasuke] (who has kind of stolen the show in recent volumes).

I encourage you all to read ahead as many of the plotlines which have undermined the Naruto story are finally starting to come together.

Along with One Piece and Bleach, Naruto is one of my must-reads every week!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1