• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Generas; Josei? Seinen?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I was putting in the generas for the film Only Yesterday, and I noticed that the encyclopedia would allow me to put in Shoujo and Shounen, but not Seinen or Josei. I was curious if it would be possible to add these two other demographics.

Only Yesterday is probably one of the only anime I can think of that fits into the Josei demographic. (probably since manga for this demographic have only been out since the 1980s, and according to Frederick Schodt's Dreamland Japan, it is dominated by Hentai).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really too hot about adding these two genres. For one, there just aren't that many examples of them. Also, people don't know very much about seinen and even less josei. So those genres would be very prone to errors.

But the main reason is that the "shounen" and "shoujo" genres are currently used not as demographic indicators (which in reality they are) but as stylistic indicators.
- Shoujo : emphasis on relationships and character development
- Shounen : emphasis on action and fighting

In reality, those two demographics have a lot more variety than that. nd you have to face it, seinen and josei are pretty equivalent to shounen and shoujo, except deeper and more sophisticated.

Do you think it would be worth it to add a "demographic" type of information so people could add shounen / shoujo / seinen / josei? The main problem I see with that is that it's not always obvious what's the target demographic of an anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Neilworms

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 7:19 am Reply with quote
I understand your point. Not too many people are familar with what audience the magizine (I've seen anime that were originally serialized in a shounen magizine classified as 'adult' and anime serialized in Big Comic, a seinen magizine, classified as shoujo) that the manga was originally serialized in, and it would be even harder to determine if the anime was not based off of a manga. I think I've also heard of situations where the manga was aimed at a different audience than the anime. This would confuse thing even more.

In the case of Only Yesterday, I had clear evidence from nausicaa.net, unfortinetly not too many sources are as detailed or as connected to Japanese sources as that site.

Thanks for the response.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1