• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 2012 Super Sentai/Power Rangers Show Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ziimo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
It's actually Niku, the naming scheme is animal + food

I'm not a fan of these suits, they look rather cheap, especially coming off the incredible Gokaiger suits. I hope the writing staff is at least good, one of the writers for the Bleach anime, Kento Shimomiya, is supposedly writing for this.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ziimo wrote:
It's actually Niku, the naming scheme is animal + food

The name is a reference to niku or 肉, but it is pronounced differently as "nikku" or ニック(Nick).
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I was more interested when it was rumored to be a "Ghost Buster" theme series, now I'm not even sure what the theme is.
Togame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
The theme is spies and their enemy is an evil supercomputer (it is literally called "Super Computer"). So no, the connection between Ghost Busters and this wasn't actually intended.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Ah I see, I'll check it out to see if I like it or not, but there is no way it could possibly be as awesome as Gokaiger.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I saw Gobusters and hoped for Ghost themed Sentai before I clicked the headline. Disappointed.

Sadly, this is going to be just like Suite PreCure. Not a bad show, but it's following an extremely strong and memorable entry in the franchise, so it'll get a lot of flak just because it's following it up

But yeah, Gokaiger looks leagues better.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, I really like this! I think the designs look great even if the toys themselves look like they're bordering on Mugenbine quality, but with proper transformations. I really hate the concept of vehicles with animal designs like we've been getting, but vehicles that turn into animals I can totally get behind. They even borrowing a bit from Transformers Headmasters by having the smaller robots turn into the animal heads. I think it's a great concept, I might even jump in and import the toys directly rather than wait 2 years for a proper US release.

The show? Meh, I couldn't care less.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope that the series doesn't drop the ball after the headrush of Gokaiger and with the upcoming Super Hero Taisen movie (what tops 199 sentai warriors? what about 200+ sentai warriors and 40 Kamen Riders! including Gobusters and Kamen Rider Fourse)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Looking at the producers list of this season, Hiam Sabin is listed as one of them.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
After the sheer awesomeness that is Gokaiger, this looks rather disappointing. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
otome_jikan556

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
this does look cool
Togame

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Gokaiger wasn't all that great though, it dropped the ball on mecha battles which are completely tacked on and uncreative, the villians are a joke and without good villians there can be no drama in these shows plus the producers that made Gokaiger and Shinkenger couldn't care less about working the toy debuts into narrative. These are the things for Go-Busters (which are supposed to have a relatively newbie producer) to improve on. Sentai doesn't amount to shoving in your face how badass and awesome the heroes are.

And Suite Precure was indeed a hack job.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1