• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Galaxy Express

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok, can someone help a newbie here? I would love to watch the three Galaxy Express movies. But I have heard that the movie collection on DVD is DIFFERENT then the VHS signature editions. What is the real scoop here? What is the "ULTIMATE" Galaxy Express set I should buy???? I have seen "Perfect collections," "memorial collections". etc.all advertised on the net. And would you recommend region o(all) or region 1.

THANKS!
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:12 am Reply with quote
A: Region 0 is illegal, toilet-quality HK bootleg. Don't even consider it an option.

B: The Galaxy Express movies are out in R1? Where? How much? Show me. Nooooooooooooooow!*

*Eh...you'll have to pardon me. The first GE999 movie was what initially got me into anime, so I've been waiting with bated breath for any word on a domestic DVD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:23 am Reply with quote
The only legit release with English is from DVDAni out of Korea, and they're OOP. There are only 2 movies, the original and Adieu Galaxy express.

Viz owns both movies, and given the current climate there, it ain't happening any time soon.
azzmoneky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:30 am Reply with quote
get the movies even if they are bootleg i remeber them being amazingly good look on ebay u might be able to ffind the 2dvd box set bootleg coudl get for less then 30usd

i cant remeber all of parts of the movies but the parts i rember are well amazingly good

anyone who hasent seen them shoudl see them and if u dont someone else make them see them

*Eh...you'll have to pardon me. The first GE999 movie was what initially got me into anime,
/\
||
this is a quote from nagisa i could not get that quote thing to work

same with me was the first anime i remeber seeing it got me into anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:42 am Reply with quote
azzmoneky wrote:
get the movies even if they are bootleg

Um...okay, perhaps I should make myself clearer. This movie got me into anime. This movie broke me into a hobby that could very well last me the rest of my life. Given that, why would I want to go bottom feeding on some trashy R0 peddler's site for a second-rate bootleg of something with that much personal importance?

For that matter, if you're serious about buying anything on DVD, why would you ever resort to that? I've never understood why some people are so attached to bootlegs; the vast majority have such godawful grammar in the English subs that they make an AOL singles chatroom look like great classical literature by comparison. I mean four times out of five, I've rented bootlegs where the grammar in the subs was so bad it was no different from watching it raw, I couldn'tunderstand a thing! Not to mention most bootlegs have horrible video & audio transfer. Good God, fansubs have better video quality than some of these bootlegs, why do people insist on buying them?

Anyway, if I can pick up a region-free DVD player, I might look into tracking down the region 3 release. Anybody know of the English subs on those discs are grammatically accurate or not? Are name translations passable?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:56 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
azzmoneky wrote:
get the movies even if they are bootleg

For that matter, if you're serious about buying anything on DVD, why would you ever resort to that? I've never understood why some people are so attached to bootlegs; the vast majority have such godawful grammar in the English subs that they make an AOL singles chatroom look like great classical literature by comparison.

Ouch. It's practically true, but still... Getting back to the basics of things though, if you love the series, it definetly makes sense to go out and support it. I have no issues whatsoever with going out and importing if necessary to enjoy the quality you deserve and paying the proper people for it.

While I must admit I'm not a Leiji Matsumoto fan per se, I still believe that his works have had a direct impact on the things we see today. As such, the man deserves far better treatment than a cheap knock-off bootleg. Even if I could logically rationalize (I can't) buying a bootleg, somehow, it seems his stuff gets the kind of status that ranks above most of the rest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The R3s are OOP. The company went under
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Which brings us back to the beginning folks. What IS available?
What are the options? No, I do not want to do bootlegs but what choices does one have? VHS? Are all of the movie collections out there which are coded as Region zero, bootleg? Go to google and type in Galaxy Express Movie collection. Are ALL of those DVDs bootleg???????

Second, I also understand that there are DVDs on the Galaxy Express TV show? Are those bootleg? do they cover all of the episodes?

Thanks!!!
eva05

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:53 pm Reply with quote
OK here's what can be found for the Galaxy Express 3-9 movies.

The first US version was made available through funMation way back in the early 80's. It was my first introduction to Harlock (called Warlock and dubbed by someone who felt John Wayne was what Harlock would sound like), Tochiro and Emeraldus.

The dub is really, really bad.

In the early 90's Viz released both Galaxy 999 and Adieu Galaxy 999 on video in dubbed and (to lesser extent from what I udnerstand) subbed(though I have never seen a subtitled version available ever).

I believe Viz still owns the rights to the movies, but they've never been released on DVD in the US.

The only DVD version available I'm aware of, with good quality, was the 999 box set...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005J4ZE/qid=1081453744/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_10_7/250-6377743-4832253

This is long out of print and can only be found at second hand shops at this point. I recommend Nakano Broadway's Javic store if you're in the area.

This is well mastered and comes with nice omake. It has no subtitles and is region 2.

There are LD editions availble of the 3-9 movies but they have no English dub/subs on them either.

Fans of classic Matsumoto works are encouraged to pick up R2 capable players and learn Japanese as most of the great films/series(original Yamato series, moves--Voyager Ent versions are not what I consider acceptable based on horrific mastering--, Harlock SSX, etc etc) based on Matsumoto's stuff is unlikely to ever see life on these shores anytime soon.

j
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Are all of the movie collections out there which are coded as Region zero, bootleg? Go to google and type in Galaxy Express Movie collection. Are ALL of those DVDs bootleg???????

Yes. If it's not region coded it's 100% a boot.

Quote:
Second, I also understand that there are DVDs on the Galaxy Express TV show? Are those bootleg? do they cover all of the episodes?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/search.html?type=GC&step=20&result=449526&word=&word_1=GC_galaxy+express&restrict=DVD

This link will take you to all of the legit GE999 DVDs currently in print. The R3s are out of print and DID carry the subtitles. There WERE sub VHS tapes of the movies, I've seen them though I never bought them.

[/quote][/u]
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
eva05 wrote:
The first US version was made available through funMation way back in the early 80's.

Streamline is not FUNimation.

Anyway, the only legal DVD release of the movies with English subs can be found here, but you'll need a player than can support region 3. I'm still trying to find out if the subs are grammatically accurate or not...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Yes. If it's not region coded it's 100% a boot.

That may be true in regards to GE999, but its not 100% true for other anime. CPM has put out several R0 titles.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Yes the R0 rule only applies to GE999

Quote:
Anyway, the only legal DVD release of the movies with English subs can be found here, but you'll need a player than can support region 3. I'm still trying to find out if the subs are grammatically accurate or not...

They are. It's the same Toei-owned script that Viz used on the VHS tapes. Which is why people assumed that DVDAni lifted it from Viz Smile Not in this case.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
So................

After all of this, I find a buddy that has the Galaxy Express movie collection. I turn it on to English subs.....and watch how Captain Harlock gets changes into Captain Hook. The grammar translation was indeed at times so confusing, it was hard to follow what was being said...although in total, one can figure it out.

Two questions since I do not currently own an all region DVD player nor do I know Japanese.

1) Where oh where can I get the VHS signature Edition? I want to see this movie with the VIZ english translation!!

SECOND- CHARACTER SPOILER AHEAD-------

As I was watching the movie, and not having seen ALL of
Matsumoto's Harlock material, it looked like a main character died in galaxy express, Tochiro Oyama. Am I correct, or are there some continuity flaws going on here?

Thanks again, everyone. I have a passion for this particular film that I just cannot explain.
Dragon Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:19 pm Reply with quote
A few more question for those who are experts here and if you want to send to my yahoo id and not leave the spoilers here, it is [email protected].

Here are the questions:

1) who was the Black Knight Faust? I am not quite sure I understood that part

2) Is Maetel human or robotic? I have seen many conflicting posts on this. One would guess human as Antares scanned her and she appreared human but there are other discrepancies that point out robotic...

which then leads to number 3

3) Why oh why (or how) does Maetel look like Tetsuro's mother and what is the secret that is revealed in adieu Galaxy express? somehow i must have missed something.

Thanks to ANYONE who can take the time to answer me, either here or directly
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3