• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tarot Cards In Escaflowne and General Anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:46 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to Tarot Cards I know virutally nothing. I was wondering if anyone is an expert on this field and knows if the cards in Escaflowne and other anime series are real or not(some of them from what I've heard are made up). I'm also curious on the cards meaning for as a theme per episode, for example the first episode of Escaflowne has the La Torre(the tower card I believe) Card, second episode has the "Ace of the Serpents" Il Fusco/la Card and so on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
HeeroYuy135

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:35 pm Reply with quote
yo, i'm wondering the same thing too... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
triofpwr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:04 am Reply with quote
HeeroYuy135 wrote:
yo, i'm wondering the same thing too... Confused

same thing for me too
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:09 am Reply with quote
http://www.supertarot.co.uk/lessons/02major.htm
This one's a quick description of each.

http://www.crystalinks.com/tarot.html
Scroll down till you see the picture of the cards.
triofpwr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:11 am Reply with quote
WaR.KiN wrote:
http://www.supertarot.co.uk/lessons/02major.htm
This one's a quick description of each.

http://www.crystalinks.com/tarot.html
Scroll down till you see the picture of the cards.

thanks *opens link*
Inu-Yasha

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:17 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that link WaR.KiN. After reading some of there descriptions it makes the anime a lot more interesting. Hitomi Kanzaki uses at least a deck of these cards and since there only 26 episodes in that series you get to see 1 different card for each episode and some for her readings every now and then, I wish she used them during the movie but alas she doesn't. Doesn't Ranma 1/2 have Tarot cards in it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:44 am Reply with quote
Do the card meanings relate the the episodes? I'm not sure if there are tarot in Ranma.
Yuki555

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...I've never thought about it until now. I just believe whatever Hitomi said in the series. Razz The card that they show at the beginning relate in someway to the episode I think. For the first episode, they show The Tower card which means separation (as explain by Hitomi). Later that day, she was separated from Earth and everyone on Earth and arrive on Gaia.
Kawaii Lena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the cards used in The Vision of Escaflowne are actual tarot cards. However, they are an old italian deck, and it uses the Animal heirarchy for the lesser arcana (Birds, Serpents/dragons, Fishes, Beasts) as in the Merlin Tarot Deck.
The lesser arcana is most prominently known as wands (also called rods or staffs), cups, swords, and pentacles, as known from the Rider-Waite deck.

Hitomi's minor arcana are based on a deck called "Merlin's Tarot" Except it is written in Italian, as I mentioned, instead of English like the Marlin's Tarot deck, and the three of serpents card says Tension, instead of Intention, as it does in the Merlin deck. There are many variations of spelling from the traditional Italian words, an I would hazard a guess that it is because it was made in Japan, but in all honesty I don't know why they are spelled differently.
lewish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Kawaii Lena wrote:
. However, they are an old italian deck, and it uses the Animal heirarchy for the lesser arcana (Birds, Serpents/dragons, Fishes, Beasts)

Now that explains it. I have a deck of Tarot cards with both arcanas, but I haven't seen "Ace Of Serpents" or anything. Now, I know why Razz Btw, I can also read tarot a bit.^^
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I did some looking around and I found this link: http://www.birdangel.net/escaflowne/tarot.php however the list is incomplete. However, the overall theme is that the tarot card gives you an idea about what the episode is about.
Kawaii Lena

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:24 pm Reply with quote
lewish wrote:
Btw, I can also read tarot a bit.^^

*grins* that's cool, same here. I've been doing it for a while now...its fun to see just how truthful the readings are sometimes. they can be horribly horribly off if you're not concentrating lol...

Also yeah, basicaly the sole purpose of the tarot cards in Esca was to show insight into the episodes so we'd all be like "WOW! that's what the TAROT CARD SAIIIIIID!!" kind of thing. Apparently Hitomi's Grandmother gave her the cards as well as the necklace.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Clamp has some neat images for the Major Arcana which can be found in the inner part of the dust cover of the X manga. Yoshitaka Amano has a wonderful tarot deck which has always been a bit hard to find. My favorite deck is the Vertigo/Sandman deck by Dave McKean. Also in my fairly large collection I have a cruddy Royo (save your money, his many art books are better) deck as well as a black and white Japanese tarot deck.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The Amano deck is one of the nicer anime ones out there (there's also a buttload of really cheaply made Taiwanese printed anime tarot cards-- they have random pictures with card names slapped on the bottom. Don't ever get any.). There's some sites that sell the book/deck set for an exorbitant $40-50, which is quite the ripoff.

After a quick glance, Otaku.com sells them for $29.95, which may be the cheapest you'll ever find them.

There's also a gorgeous tarot deck for the Utena series that was made by a doujinshi artist. They were quite popular a few years back, but I don't know if the artist is still printing them or not.
gunhoe86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:35 am Reply with quote
WaR.KiN wrote:
Do the card meanings relate the the episodes?

when i first watched esca, i only had the first disc, so i watched the first few episodes, then ran out to get some tarot cards and see what it was all about. watching the series and knowing what the cards meant as they were turned over was very very very cool, especially when she turned over the tower before dryden and millerna's wedding.

~JOSH
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2