• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3rd Man Sentenced for Anime Sharing with Share Program

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
I salute these brave soldiers.
Clodus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
These have been appearing alot recently. Looks like japan is cracking down. Even though I do like fansubs. If the US and other countries were more strict then perhaps fansubs would disappear though I imagine its not so simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:
These have been appearing alot recently. Looks like japan is cracking down. Even though I do like fansubs. If the US and other countries were more strict then perhaps fansubs would disappear though I imagine its not so simple.
They'd have to start making good dubs first.
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
To authorites there is this thing called crunchyroll
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Clodus wrote:

How in the world are "good" (a subjective term, and the majority seem to agree that dubs are getting better compared to previous decades) dubs relevant to the problem of fansubs? Chances are if you're fansubbing an anime, then you have no issues watching subs, so why be concerned about the dub when over 99% of anime DVDs have the sub as well?
Oronae

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Clodus wrote:

On the contrary, this is all one incident which has been brought up over and over for the past couple weeks. It just seems like it's happening alot because the news has been repeated over and over again everytime there's the slightest development.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Heil JASRAC!
ジャスラック総統万歳!
Antanaru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, pretty harsh. So burglars, thief's, jugglers etc. are often threated lighter than guys uploading anime without their own profit. Nice. Fansubs will exist as long as there is demand for them. Sorry but very often fansubs are way better than official releases. And what is the most important thing they are well-available. So first they have to improve market, and don't forget that U.S. are not whole anime world ;] Many people around the globe want need fansubs.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Antanaru wrote:
Wow, pretty harsh. So burglars, thief's, jugglers etc. are often threated lighter than guys uploading anime without their own profit. Nice. Fansubs will exist as long as there is demand for them. Sorry but very often fansubs are way better than official releases. And what is the most important thing they are well-available. So first they have to improve market, and don't forget that U.S. are not whole anime world ;] Many people around the globe want need fansubs.
So the Naruto fansubs are better in terms of quality over the Viz releases? I love how the fansubs come with a Japanese storyboard....oh wait they don't. Official releases are always better than loosely translated fansubs in which the only real purpose is to get out the episode fast.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Antanaru wrote:

Translastion-wise, there is at the most no difference between fansubs and official DVD releases, and most often official releases are better (I wonder why, what with paid staff working at these companies and all) at providing smooth translations, with which you aren't going to lose any meaning unless you speak fluent Japanese.

In terms of video quality, assuming the fansub isn't upscaled to HD resolutions to begin with, there's going to be little to no difference. Come to think of it, I'm still seeing plenty of fansub releases from this season that struggle to match DVD quality.

I agree that official distributors do need to adapt and change, though, and it is starting to. That's been discussed often enough on these boards, though, so no need to go into detail on that. Having said that, the U.S. still isn't the "whole anime world"; the internet can in fact be used to buy legal anime merchandise.

Aside from which, fansubs are blatant theft, especially if the end user refuses to buy anything anime-related. Granted, I know that's not always practical because of prices, hence the need for the anime industry to embrace (legal) digital distribution. Neverthless, if one can't afford to spend the money to buy even a few DVDs a year -- I mean seriously, not even $80 worth? -- then one should not be watching anime, since nothing is going back to the people who created it.

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
To authorites there is this thing called crunchyroll

Crunchyroll is legal. They have contracts will the majority of the studios and production houses. You can buy approved legally provided subtitled anime straight from Japan on Crunchyroll.

BOST and YouTube and Direct2Drive and a few others now provide this service as well, but Crunchyroll is lightyears ahead of all the others in content and service.
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Antanaru wrote:
Wow, pretty harsh. So burglars, thief's, jugglers etc....

O_o, why are grouping the jugglers with the delinquents... if you had said mimes, I'd totally support you, since they are [expletive] creepy, but jugglers are fun! Anime hyper
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Antanaru wrote:
Wow, pretty harsh. So burglars, thief's, jugglers etc. are often threated lighter than guys uploading anime without their own profit. Nice.

How do you figure?
I work in Criminal Justice & a HUGE number of my clients get no jail time, just need to come see me for 3 yrs. Some of these guys were caretakers for little old people & stole jewelry which is irreplacable because it's a memory whether the old person is wearing it or keeping it in a box & whatever the person got hocking it is no way near worth thats' person's old wedding ring's memories, etc. It sounds like these guys got some form of probation (suspended meaning if they mess up in any way the person supervising them can ask they do their time, but otherwise, they won't)

Antanaru wrote:

Fansubs will exist as long as there is demand for them. .

You do know that's the line used for prostitution & drugs.
Doesn't make it harmless.

Antanaru wrote:

Sorry but very often fansubs are way better than official releases. .

Sez you. Sit in on any translator talking about translations & you'll hear translation is more an art than a science. Most of the "official" translators working for the industry here say they are tweaking their translations up to the last minute.
You expect me to believe fansubs posted hours after the show airs in Japan are accurate in the face of comments like those?
Look at the Japanese use of English. Sometimes good, usually laughable & they aren't pressed for time.

Antanaru wrote:

And what is the most important thing they are well-available. So first they have to improve market, and don't forget that U.S. are not whole anime world ;] Many people around the globe want need fansubs.

But understand you do not have a god given right to anime. You don't NEED fansubs-you need food, water, shelter. Everyting else is a means to getting those things or icing on the cake. You could live without anime, movies, music, art, literature, etc.

Anime is made by Japanese for the consumption of Japanese just as American tv/movies are usually made for the domestic audience first & other places have to wait until the company chooses to release it to the other country. Fansubs interfere with the normal give & take. Fansubs are a loophole the people who sweat their tails off making this stuff are trying to close because you don't reimburse them for their efforts by watching fansubs.
What was that screenwriters' strike about? They wanted a piece of the internet action among other things. Your watching their shows on the net thru some site that doesn't reimburse the makers in some way doesn't provide them with their necessities of food, water, shelter.
None of us like to work for free. When one works piece-work like a lot of anime seems to be, one gets paid more per piece so an anime with an expected audience of 100,000 would theoretically pay less than one with a projected audience of 1,000,000. The stars on Friends pulled in more than the actors on some little title that didn't even make it thru the first season.
Teuvan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Clodus wrote:

How in the world are "good" (a subjective term, and the majority seem to agree that dubs are getting better compared to previous decades) dubs relevant to the problem of fansubs? Chances are if you're fansubbing an anime, then you have no issues watching subs, so why be concerned about the dub when over 99% of anime DVDs have the sub as well?

I don't care about dubs myself. However, I do wish companies would start making good subs. I have enough scattered knowledge of Japanese, especially of words that are difficult to translate and/or don't have good English equivalents, to know when a sub is half-assed. Most professional translators take the most literal route, leaving the dialog without feeling and stripping of it of the original intent. On the other hand, many fansubbers take a more artistic approach to translating, and make an effort to maintain the original intent rather than do a direct translation.

Another problem is DVDs. It's not so much that DVD prices are ridiculously bad. The problem is that more than 90% of anime can only be "legitimately" watched through DVDs, and that's unacceptable. If the American television industry was in the same situation, they'd be in the same situation as the anime industry. Without proper exposure to the works, people won't be willing to shell out $30 for four episodes on a blind gamble.

To me, the best solution to this is taking advantage of Internet television. This is starting to grow as a trend, but it still has a long ways to go. If distributors could offer anime on a website in the same way television works, with advertisements and all, they would increase the exposure to their product, thereby increasing DVD sales, and they would earn the extra income from advertising and subscription fees. Some channels, probably most, could be subscription based, while others could work like broadcast television, relying only on advertisements.

Either way, until both translation quality and Internet television become commonplace, I have no sympathy for the American anime industry. I'll keep expanding my 400 volume manga collection, though, because the companies in the manga industry have already taken the proper steps to ensure their success in business. But as far as anime goes, I'll keep downloading fansubs and ignoring DVDs until companies actually do something that makes them worthy of my purchase.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Antanaru wrote:
Many people around the globe want need fansubs.

I'm going to be nice and ignore the obvious grammatical error there, but you do make a claim that's ridiculous. Nobody NEEDS fansubs. Heck, nobody NEEDS anime. Anime is not a necessity. It's not something you have a right to. It's a commercial product intended to be bought, no different from video games, novels, comic books, movies, etc. That's what it is, and that's what it always will be. The day the industry dies will be the day anime dies. And if anime dies, guess what? No more fansubs, since there will be no more anime. So it's ironic that people claim they "need" fansubs, when fansubs could very well destroy themselves.

So yeah, lock him up. He knew full well the consequences of what he was doing. No sympathy from me, don't do the crime if you can't do the time. And for crying out loud, they're not "brave soldiers". If you want to root for people who went against the system, then root for REAL heroes. Root for the patriots who fought to win freedom from Britain. Root for all those who fought and sacrificed in the name of civil rights and women's right. But rooting for people who do fansubs? Give me a break.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4