• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
English songs from Asian artists.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:20 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I've posted, I hope everyone is doing well. Today, I come to you with yet another search, and hopefully it'll benefit everyone else as well as myself. The matter is songs in English sung by Japanese artists, or really any artist from Asia (Korea, China, Singapore etc.) Recently, I've been looking for some great music in English from such artists, and I've managed to have found quite a few notable delights. Here are some of them if you're also looking for great songs in English performed by Japanese artists that you can find.

"I'll Be Your home" - Rin Oikawa
"Simple And Clean", and "Fly Me to the Moon" - Utada Hikaru
(Note: I excluded "Sanctuary", and songs contained in her "Precious", and "Exodus" albums on purpose)
"Tell Me What the Rain Knows", and "Gravity" - Maaya Sakamoto
"The Day You Went Away" - Trish Thuy Trang
"Eyes On Me" - Faye Wong
"YOU" - kazami
"Everlasting Song - Ballad Version" - FictionJunction ASUKA
"Kiss Me Good-Bye" - Angela Aki
"I Won't Last a Day Without you" - Shina Ringo feat. Utada Hikaru
"Safe in a Crazy World"..... well really Corinne May in general (love her music)

Alright, so that's what I've compiled thus far off the top of my head, of course there are more but as you can see, a lot of these songs are mild pop pieces, or ballads, with a little R&B in there. I'm trying to find songs that would be suited well with those listed (thus my reason for not listing all of Utada's other work).

I'm sure that artists like BoA, Sowelu, and Crystal Kay have songs in English as well, but that's where I need your help! Similarly, I'm sure there are other artists from China, and Korea, and elsewhere in Asia that also have great music - I'm looking more towards female singers for this one (or else I would've thrown in Lee Hom Wang, among others in there). So, could you guys help me once again! It'd be greatly appreciated.

If possible could try to suggest some more energetic songs like an "I'll Be Your Home", or "Simple and Clean" as opposed to more ballads like an "Eyes On Me", and so forth. Thanks.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:44 am Reply with quote
I've already deleted two posts.

No listing.

If you have any comments on a particular song, artist, or any other relevant information that isn't "just a list" of songs, feel free to contribute.

Anyway, I would recommend Bonnie Pink's album, Even So. Not all of it is English, but a handful of them are, and I like the overall album for its 80s and 90s pop/R&B sound, with a little touch of lite rock here and there.

Among J-artists, I'd say she, Rie Fu, and Maaya Sakomoto are some of my favorites in terms of English songs. The accents are a lot less noticeable on them, especially Rei Fu since she spent a lot of schooling time in London, which I think gives her an almost country/folksinger twang in some of her songs (sounds like Natalie Merchant sometimes). It takes some getting used to, but depending on the melodies of the song and pitches of her singing, it can be rather catchy.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
-facepalms- I'll try this again. Anime hyper

Boulevard of Broken Dreams (Green Day cover) - Utada Hikaru - Some people actually don't know about this cover, so I thought I'd mention it. She actually didn't do half-bad, but there are a LOT of differences between her version and the version that Green Day did.
My Heart Will Go On (Celine Dion cover) - Yuna Ito - Part of a tribute CD to Celine, and a beautiful tribute at that.
Passion - Siam Shade - I actually think I like their English version over their original Japanese version. Now if only they did an English version of 1/3 Pure Heart Emotion before they broke up...
Every Heart - BoA - I don't think I need to explain this...but to tell the truth, the English version doesn't seem to make as much sense as the Japanese version.
Change The World - V6 - Not as passionate as the Japanese, but still just as good.
Deep Forest - Do As Infinity - Now this one I love. Although lighter than the Japanese version, it's still great.
In This Serenity - Mayumi Gojo - Beautiful, sweet, and tender...although if you listen to it too much you may want to fall asleep. It's like a lullaby, and if it's familiar to you, it's also the ending theme for Xenosaga: The Animation.
Wind - Akeboshi - Again, no explaination really needed. To the point, it's inspirational and awesome, and one of the best Naruto ending themes ever.

And as an extra recommendation, although it's a Japanese and English mix, I'd also check out Yuna Ito and Celine Dion's collaboration of Anata Ga Iru Kagiri ~A World To Believe In~. It's a beautiful song, a great collaboration, and just...wow. It's amazing.

Last edited by Aura Ichadora on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I second Ma'aya Sakamoto and Rie Fu - not only are they great singers, but they're very understandable. Ma'aya-san's got a little bit of an accent depending on what she's singing (if there's Japanese and English in the same song she tends to retain her accent just because she's switching back and forth so quickly), and Rie's English is nearly flawless. For something catchy and upbeat, Ma'aya's 24 will probably fit what you're looking for; I know I've got other perkier English songs by her, but I'll have to trawl through my iTunes library for titles.

Another suggestion is Puffy - almost everything they've done is energetic, and they use a lot of English. I specifically recommend Planet Tokyo and Your Love is a Drug.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 am Reply with quote
Some songs by Rie Fu are in english, some are half half too. Like Life is Like a Boat, switches from english to japanese or english again, she has a lot of good songs. Decay has an english version as well as a Japanese one.

Dir en Grey has a few songs in english like Clever Sleazoid but they really can't pronounce anything so it sounds like a different language, though they're still excellent.

Mell does a few (I think) I know Red Fraction is in English and its one of my favorites. Its the opening theme song to Black Lagoon.

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment.
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
I only know a few, such as Bye Bye Mr. Mug by The Brilliant Green, and the English version of Euphoric Field by ELISA (which is much, much better than the Japanese version, if you ask me). I think there's also an English version of Wish by Olivia, but I haven't found it yet (been looking for it for a pretty long time though).

I also recently found out that Hyde has a version of Careless Whisper. My male friends seem really to like it.

And since you're asking for Asian artists, might as well recommend to you some songs/artists from the Philippines Very Happy

Try Barbie's Cradle. They've disbanded a few years ago, but the lead singer, Barbie Almalbis is still active. A few songs from them I'd recommend would be Money for Food, and one of their last songs, All I need. Barbie reminds me of Yui, because they both have tiny voices.

Other bands/artists I'd recommend are Session Road (listen to Leaving You), Up Dharma Down (Maybe) and Taken by Cars (Uh-oh and December 2, Chapter VII).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
There's an English version of HYDE's first album, Roentgen.

Olivia has many English versions of her songs scattered about. There's no one spot to find all of them though.

hiro releases English covers under the name Coco d'Or. She has two albums out so far with a third rumored.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot everyone. So far, I've taken a look at several of the artists and songs already mentioned. I should point out, I'm aware of Utada's Green Day cover, as well as basically every song she's performed or released (I've become an Utada fanatic in the last several months lol). However, I did appreciate the Yuna Ito recommendation, she does a very nice job with "My Heart will Go", and to be honest, I much prefer her version over the original.

I'll have to check out those songs/artists from the Philippines, jetz - I've never heard anything from there before, but if a comparison to YUI is being made, then I'm definitely interested. I'll also be taking note of Olivia, I've never heard one of her songs, so it should be interesting. I still have to check out more songs from Rie Fu, I only know one of one song she's done in full English off the top of my head, and I'll definitely have to find Maaya Sakamoto's "24", I've never heard that one before.

So thanks to everyone for the help, keep them coming! I think everyone will really appreciate these findings.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
Full_Metal1923 wrote:
I'll have to check out those songs/artists from the Philippines, jetz - I've never heard anything from there before, but if a comparison to YUI is being made, then I'm definitely interested.

Please do Very Happy We have a lot of great artists here and only a few of them are known worldwide. Most Filipinos are very fluent in English, so all the songs I've recommended make sense Laughing and are easy to understand.

And I just remembered this yesterday. I saw the band Shonen Knife perform for J-melo (an NHK music show). They played a few English songs, such as Twist Barbie and even their own rock version of Top of the World. If I remember correctly, they also have a song called Banana Chips and Daydream Believer (forgot who originally sang this one).
rodro91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The only english song from a japanese artist i know is "tonight, tonight, tonight" by beat crusaders, its the 4th opening for bleach
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
All of the albums released by Japanese punk rock group Hi-Standard are in English. They're style is also interesting, as their song themes don't cover what you would call punk themes. Since the band has been disbanded since the beginning of the century, there may be trouble trying to find their albums.

They are:
- Last of Sunny Day (EP)
- Growing Up
- Angry Fist
- Making the Road
- Love is a Battlefield (EP)

Highly recommend them though.
Sloober

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Sixpence None the Richer actually did one of their own songs in japanese, i think it was Kiss Me

Leigh Nash (Sixpence's singer, at least before they broke up!) has worked with Rin' as well, the Samurai7 song anti-hero (i think it was in that one..) was a collaboration.

I am having trouble thinking of any others that were not already mentioned!
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Well if you can find the album or songs anywhere a good few come from "Fiction" by Yuki Kajiura. The album is a compilation of songs from a few Animes and a few originals. Not all are in English but I will tell you which ones. I noticed you had Everlasting Song by FJK which Kajiura also wrote so you might like these.

Key of the Twilight (.hack//SIGN)-The underlying insert song from .hack//SIGN performed by New York Singer Emily Bindiger. If you heard the song before the music arrangement will be slightly diffrent, but not much.

Cynical World-This is an original song made for the album. Also sung by Bindiger it's a dark melody with a strong Celtic solo.

Fake Wings (.hack//SIGN)-Again Bindiger is the vocalist for this song. A very pretty arrangement with more strings than the SIGN version.

Fiction-Of course the title song of the Album Bindiger also performed this one.
Vanity follows this song, it's another romantic themed song. Also performed by Bindiger.

Open your Heart (.hack//SIGN) - In my opinion this is most like the reprisal in the .hack//SIGN OST but it is arranged differently. Bindiger again is the vocalist.

Winter-A short love song this one is actually by one of Xenosaga's vocalists Deb Lyons.

Outside the realm of Kajiura and in to the Video Game world there is an English version of a song called "Gentle Hands" (I've also seen it titled "Kind Hands" in some places) from .hack//G.U. it's a very lovely song by Tomoyo Mitani. She has a very lovely voice.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This is the definition of an extremely broad question. I could sit here all day typing and not even hit 1% of all the English language songs (I've listened to myself) from Asian artists. Here's some of my current favorite bands (all their songs are in English).

From Japan:

BEAT CRUSADERS- Should be familiar to anime fans. They did the Bleach and BECK themes. Great pop-punk with synths.
buddhistson- indie rock
ELLEGARDEN- punk. Also should be familiar. 2 of their albums have been released in the US.
eksperimentoj- Great post-rock band. About 2/3 instrumental for the most part.
enie meenie- Another great pop-punk band.
Nature Living- screamo
Oceanlane- more of your traditional rock band. Very good English, btw.
winnie- Sounds similar to Jimmy Eat World

I'll save Singapore and Hong Kong bands for another post.

fighterholic wrote:
All of the albums released by Japanese punk rock group Hi-Standard are in English. They're style is also interesting, as their song themes don't cover what you would call punk themes. Since the band has been disbanded since the beginning of the century, there may be trouble trying to find their albums.

most of their releases were distributed by Fat Wreck Chords in the US. Their singer, Ken Yokoyama, has a solo projectand was in the thrash punk band BBQ Chickens. Both projects are entirely in English.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zero_chance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Monoral, the Japanese group perhaps best known for their song "Kiri", the opener for Ergo Proxy, apparently performs entirely in English.

Well enough, in fact, that I had a hard time believing that they were, in fact, Japanese. Their vocals share more with British bands like U2 or Coldplay than they do any Japanese group I've heard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2