• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Revolutionary Jargon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom debuted at EVO 2008.

Here's hoping we'll see an official release here in some way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No, I don't mind something like Commando: Steel Disaster at all, simply because there aren't enough Metal Slug clones out there.

Don't you mean Contra clones? Wink

Quote:
but there's a lack of carnage-filled 2-D shooters on the market,

What about Contra 4 and that DS Bangaio?

Quote:
but at least Altered Beast looked good. Plus it had the unintended comedy of Greek bodybuilders punching zombies and growing muscles while a totally-not-gay announced intoned “Power UP!”

Seen this old parody

Laughing
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Bushido Blade's no health bar and limb disabling attacks made it one of the coolest games at the time.I also enjoyed the system link and first-person versus mode.Fun stuff.Square doesn't think like that any more.

I hate to talk about FF7 but what about the "preloading,loading"it had.Where it would load before you hit the edge of the screen.There is no excuse for the load times now a days.Heh,like MGS4.Though I'm sure it's there to try to stop piracy.That's a lot of loading. Laughing

Suikoden was a great RPG series.Odd title but I say bring on another 108 stars.

I was never a fan of Bionic Commando (Top Secret: Hitler's Revival.Still got the game,box and all.) but I did very much like exploding hitler's face at the end.What a satisfying NES game ending. I really hope this remake keeps it.

This remake couldn't be as bad as the GBC sequel. Confused You couldn't give that game away.You also mentioned the terrible arcade game too.I swear the level designs of Bionic Commando and Strider were just thrown together with no logic to be had.Like one of the designers snuck into one of Capcom's meetings,and stole all the rough drafts and ideas that were thown around and put it together overnight.Classic games,horrible level designs.

Both Code Geass games for the DS are fun.I didn't like R2 as much.

Yes!,some PCE goodness.The first game I played on PCE. (because it came with the system.)Keith's Courage.It had some memorable music,level designs kind of like Wonderboy.It had mecha,laser swords and rainbow level warps.Awesome.Super Mario world,Final Fight and Super Castlevania IV be damned.Keith's courage and Bonk's adventure is the way to go. Laughing That was until Splatterhouse came along. Twisted Evil
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Oh. My. God. I just remembered how very briefly I played Keith Courage back in the ancient past. Anime hyper
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
I've played Lost Colors. As the column states, the story is basically discardable since it takes place in sort of an alternate reality. Still, if you love your Code Geass characters, this is a good place to explore them further. Admittedly, though, I have only seen two of the endings – while I love visual novels, I'm not as patient (or bored, perhaps?) as to "play" the same one over and over to attain all the different endings.

Also, the combat scenes suck. This game would have benefited from a battle system.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I didn't like R2 as much.

You speak as though it's over already. Razz
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Ai:The DS game that came out a couple days ago,not the anime.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Ai:The DS game that came out a couple days ago,not the anime.

Ah, my bad. I hadn't paid attention to its name. Wink
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
Why do people like the original Suikoden so much? It's an alright game, but it's so utterly bland, even for it's time. It EXCELS at being average. I mean, it's better than some of the other early PSX offerings ::ShudderBeyondtheBeyondshudder:: but rose colored glasses clearly distort the memory.

How anyone could put it in front of Suikoden 3 is beyond me.

A Suikoden online game would make sense. It's been on every Suikoden fan's mind since... well, MMOs were developed. Depending on how it's handled, it can be a cash cow or a huge flop. Judging from how Konami has handled the series in the past, I'm not expecting too much. S5 sadly flopped, so it's not surprising they've been dragging their feet.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To briefly recap, the first two games are awesome, the third is dreadfully bland, the fourth is even worse, and the fifth (right) is intriguing but has no concept of proper pacing whatsoever.

While the original Suikoden is my favorite game in the series, I consider Suikoden III the last great Suikoden game. There were complaints back in the days about the trinity system, but I thought learning about different POVs on the war in the Zexen-Grasslands gave the story alot of depth and made it even more entertaining to follow, it made me wish if Ted and Joei had their own POVs despite them not being of the 108 stars of destiny. I also wasn't bothered by the fighting system and I thought the main cast was just as likeable as that of Suikoden II, though admittedly no one can ever surpass Viktor or Flik Razz

Suiko V had its good points and I enjoyed its detailed political scenarios, but it was too slow at the begining for my tastes, and many of the SOD were missable which made them a pain in the neck to recruit. I also hated that you could use special runes like the falcon and others only once per battle.

Ever since Murayama's departure, my hopes and expectations for the series plummeted, but I'll be willing to play another Suikoden none the less if the new game has Suikoden V writing -minus the pacing problems- and featured a better and more flexible battle system.
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
I hope Nintendo grows some balls because I would love to play Bionic Commando on the VC. I hope the only reason why they can't release is some tech issues and not some censorship. "Master D" and he's firecracker filled melon isn't that bad compare to Splatterhouse and upcoming Mad World.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:04 am Reply with quote
Yes, that is interesting about making good clones. And there are so many. I heard about that game and my first thoughts it looks like a rip-off of 'MS'. At first I thought SNK Playmore was responsible until I saw the developers. But hey, if you're going to rip-off a series then you got to rip off the best. The clone does look interesting. But I guess if you're a 'MS' purist then you wouldn't dare. But if the game has something different to offer then might be worth giving it a try. Also it's good to have a open mind.

Ah 'Keith Courage'. Now that's a classic during the TG-16 age. I never saw that comic. Oh man that's insane.

Suikoden another great series.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
Suikoden was a great rpg series. However, after the third sequel, the game seemed to become complicated and somewhat mundane.

I've played every Suikoden game with the exception of the strategy verstion. I remember the playstation games were much better.

Great article as always Todd.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Haha, I love the alternate text comments for the Code Geass images, and agree with the first one. The show really does get annoying in that sense.
My Neighbor Liz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
The Commando: Steel Disaster cover looks almost like it could be a Trigun game.
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The Suikoden series does have it's ups and downs, that's for sure. Suikoden II, let's face it, out does all the rest hands-down in its awesomeness. But as for the rest, I think there's varying opinons. For me I thought Suikoden V had the best writing/pacing since II, and it's my second favorite. The overall story of III was great, and having the different perspectives was cool, but the game's pacing is a huge hinderance and made it a chore to get through (the story is much better in manga form if you haven't read it). I liked the original Suikoden, but it was pretty average. And IV...*cough* let's just pretend it never happened. And I have to withhold an opinon on the Tactics version because I've never played it. Anyway, I'd be happy with a new Suikoden game, even a weirdly named one. Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2