Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Showgate Warns Alleged Singaporean File-Sharers


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1496
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
So Odex isn't the only one who cares? Blasphemy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dewlwieldthedarpachief



Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 751
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't personally oppose anime companies taking legal action against the petty thieves of the internet, but if only a few of the many are held responsible that's unfair, right? I mean, you could say that of piracy in the first place, but when you take into account that the repercussions of being held responsible as an individual versus the damages suffered to the companies that are caused by many people, not just the one individual, I can see the potential for overkill.

I couldn't give the exact details for lack of memory, but anyone who peruses the news headlines might come across the latest MPAA lawsuit from time to time. If I remember correctly most of these cases punish the offenders to such extreme extents that their lives are crippled by fines in the thousands or millions and perhaps jail sentences.

Please try to forgive me if my ideas about punishing people proportionately to their crimes are communist and vile, it's just that I can't get over the fact the legal system has and may again sanction the ruin of a person's livelihood over such a thing as illegal downloading. If people don't feel they can trust the law to be just, then why should they even bother trying to abide by it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Askman



Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 59

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I don't personally oppose anime companies taking legal action against the petty thieves of the internet, but if only a few of the many are held responsible that's unfair, right? I mean, you could say that of piracy in the first place, but when you take into account that the repercussions of being held responsible as an individual versus the damages suffered to the companies that are caused by many people, not just the one individual, I can see the potential for overkill.

I couldn't give the exact details for lack of memory, but anyone who peruses the news headlines might come across the latest MPAA lawsuit from time to time. If I remember correctly most of these cases punish the offenders to such extreme extents that their lives are crippled by fines in the thousands or millions and perhaps jail sentences.

Please try to forgive me if my ideas about punishing people proportionately to their crimes are communist and vile, it's just that I can't get over the fact the legal system has and may again sanction the ruin of a person's livelihood over such a thing as illegal downloading. If people don't feel they can trust the law to be just, then why should they even bother trying to abide by it?


Going after single people, and in the MPAA situation, can hit someone really hard and that could easily freak out other people and might stop them from doing it because they might be the next ones.

Also, I have no sympathy for people who are hit by large fines or jail time. They knew they were breaking the law when they did those acts, so they should have been prepared to accept any consequences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Askman wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I don't personally oppose anime companies taking legal action against the petty thieves of the internet, but if only a few of the many are held responsible that's unfair, right? I mean, you could say that of piracy in the first place, but when you take into account that the repercussions of being held responsible as an individual versus the damages suffered to the companies that are caused by many people, not just the one individual, I can see the potential for overkill.

I couldn't give the exact details for lack of memory, but anyone who peruses the news headlines might come across the latest MPAA lawsuit from time to time. If I remember correctly most of these cases punish the offenders to such extreme extents that their lives are crippled by fines in the thousands or millions and perhaps jail sentences.

Please try to forgive me if my ideas about punishing people proportionately to their crimes are communist and vile, it's just that I can't get over the fact the legal system has and may again sanction the ruin of a person's livelihood over such a thing as illegal downloading. If people don't feel they can trust the law to be just, then why should they even bother trying to abide by it?


Going after single people, and in the MPAA situation, can hit someone really hard and that could easily freak out other people and might stop them from doing it because they might be the next ones.

Also, I have no sympathy for people who are hit by large fines or jail time. They knew they were breaking the law when they did those acts, so they should have been prepared to accept any consequences.


I'm with the whole movement of seeing an end to fansubs with the companies responding by getting licenses sooner and international releases being produced but... As long as the people who are being fined and given jail time are REAL problems. I mean, who's really a bigger effect on the industry in terms of hurting for cash?

The little 15 year old download 150+ episodes of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and the like?

Or the 23 year old watching the more out there series, then purchasing them once they become available?

As long as the REAL cause of the problems are eliminated, that's what matters. Just like with what the RIAA did concerning various kids who'd illegally downloaded thousands of copyrighted songs, versus the adult who gets a track or two to sample and determine their purchase.

But I'm sure some will disagree... It's just a view of course.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cetus-kun



Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
Askman wrote:
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
I don't personally oppose anime companies taking legal action against the petty thieves of the internet, but if only a few of the many are held responsible that's unfair, right? I mean, you could say that of piracy in the first place, but when you take into account that the repercussions of being held responsible as an individual versus the damages suffered to the companies that are caused by many people, not just the one individual, I can see the potential for overkill.

I couldn't give the exact details for lack of memory, but anyone who peruses the news headlines might come across the latest MPAA lawsuit from time to time. If I remember correctly most of these cases punish the offenders to such extreme extents that their lives are crippled by fines in the thousands or millions and perhaps jail sentences.

Please try to forgive me if my ideas about punishing people proportionately to their crimes are communist and vile, it's just that I can't get over the fact the legal system has and may again sanction the ruin of a person's livelihood over such a thing as illegal downloading. If people don't feel they can trust the law to be just, then why should they even bother trying to abide by it?


Going after single people, and in the MPAA situation, can hit someone really hard and that could easily freak out other people and might stop them from doing it because they might be the next ones.

Also, I have no sympathy for people who are hit by large fines or jail time. They knew they were breaking the law when they did those acts, so they should have been prepared to accept any consequences.


I'm with the whole movement of seeing an end to fansubs with the companies responding by getting licenses sooner and international releases being produced but... As long as the people who are being fined and given jail time are REAL problems. I mean, who's really a bigger effect on the industry in terms of hurting for cash?

The little 15 year old download 150+ episodes of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and the like?

Or the 23 year old watching the more out there series, then purchasing them once they become available?

As long as the REAL cause of the problems are eliminated, that's what matters. Just like with what the RIAA did concerning various kids who'd illegally downloaded thousands of copyrighted songs, versus the adult who gets a track or two to sample and determine their purchase.

But I'm sure some will disagree... It's just a view of course.


The RIAA wasn't just fining 15 year-olds though. They also went after 90 year-old grandmothers too. Ultimately I think the only way the anime industry is going to grow is if they can find a way to make money off of the young crowd.

Lots of kids don't have the money to buy a lot of DVD's, but if they could find some other way of making money off them it could really pay off. It doesn't even have to be just paid downloads. They'd probably attract more of them with ad-based streaming. GONZO's offering both right now for Druaga and Blassreiter. If only other companies could do the same. Even what Kadokawa is doing with Youtube is heading in the right direction.


Last edited by Cetus-kun on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
Askman wrote:

Going after single people, and in the MPAA situation, can hit someone really hard and that could easily freak out other people and might stop them from doing it because they might be the next ones.

Also, I have no sympathy for people who are hit by large fines or jail time. They knew they were breaking the law when they did those acts, so they should have been prepared to accept any consequences.


I'm with the whole movement of seeing an end to fansubs with the companies responding by getting licenses sooner and international releases being produced but... As long as the people who are being fined and given jail time are REAL problems. I mean, who's really a bigger effect on the industry in terms of hurting for cash?

The little 15 year old download 150+ episodes of Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and the like?

Or the 23 year old watching the more out there series, then purchasing them once they become available?

As long as the REAL cause of the problems are eliminated, that's what matters. Just like with what the RIAA did concerning various kids who'd illegally downloaded thousands of copyrighted songs, versus the adult who gets a track or two to sample and determine their purchase.

But I'm sure some will disagree... It's just a view of course.


The RIAA wasn't just fining 15 year olds though. They also went after 90 year grandmothers too. Ultimately I think the only way the anime industry is going to grow is if they can find a way to make money off of the young crowd.

Lots of kids don't have the money to buy a lot of DVD's, but if they could find some other way of making money off them it could really pay off. It doesn't even have to be just paid downloads. They'd probably attract more of them with ad-based streaming. GONZO's offering both right now for Druaga and Blassreiter. If only other companies could do the same. Even what Kadokawa is doing with youtube is heading in the right direction.


Right, I forgot about that... Everyone was getting their asses sued.

Yeah, Gonzo's got the right idea but... Yeah, other companies REALLY, REALLY need to pick up on such a thing.

But... Personally, I'd prefer more paid download. That payment that removes the commercials makes all the difference for me. I just hope the money going into my iTunes account isn't ALL going to Apple and some degree is going back to Funimation and Manga Entertainment/Bandai Entertainment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 8142

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'd prefer a subscription based high quality streaming. Like a staggered price plan gives you so many points, and the episodes cost so many points, and movies cost more in points and what not. My main beef with downloads right now is that they tend to be dub-only. While this is important for attracting casual viewers who might not like the Japanese track, it completely doesn't suit my tastes. Hopefully that will change sometime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3040
Location: earth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo and BONES are starting to get the idea.

BONES is selling Exclusive anime on PS3 and Gonzo is selling steaming anime online.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cetus-kun



Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Gonzo and BONES are starting to get the idea.

BONES is selling Exclusive anime on PS3 and Gonzo is selling steaming anime online.


I'll agree with you on GONZO, but honestly I don't think it was a good idea to make Xam'd a PS3 exclusive. Not everyone who might have been interested in it owns a PS3 and to make matters worse they're charging more per-episode for rental than most companies would for download-to-own. Sure, we're getting it even before Japan does, but they're really limiting their audience in the way it's being offered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spotlesseden



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Posts: 3040
Location: earth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
They might some deal with Sony which they maybe already make most of the money back.

Edit: i have to agree with you that they should let you own it, not rent. Atleast the Anime is pretty good.


Last edited by Spotlesseden on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Afax



Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 74

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:00 am Reply with quote
Cetus-kun wrote:
Quote:
Gonzo and BONES are starting to get the idea.

BONES is selling Exclusive anime on PS3 and Gonzo is selling steaming anime online.


I'll agree with you on GONZO, but honestly I don't think it was a good idea to make Xam'd a PS3 exclusive. Not everyone who might have been interested in it owns a PS3 and to make matters worse they're charging more per-episode for rental than most companies would for download-to-own. Sure, we're getting it even before Japan does, but they're really limiting their audience in the way it's being offered.

Considering that Xam'd is practically OVA quality, its price is entirely warranted imo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 1496
Location: Toronto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
FUNimation has a Youtube channel that streams full episodes, it's where I decided not to buy Peach Girl, and where I decided to buy Blue Gender. ADV also has their online Anime Network, but that thing is wonky as with everything else in that company right now.

It seems the ones having a harder time adapting are the companies with direct links to Japan, like Shogakukan and Viz, and Bandai's sister companies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Big Hed



Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1607
Location: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:53 am Reply with quote
Afax wrote:

Considering that Xam'd is practically OVA quality, its price is entirely warranted imo.


Yeah, now that I'm watching the series, I think that the quality of the production is a big part of why Bounen no Xamdou is so expensive to rent. As for why the show is PS3-exclusive, I'm guessing that Sony is compensating BONES quite well for that.

Good to hear that more companies are jumping on the C&D bandwagon, I suppose. I'm not surprised that it's a company like Showgate, since they've got a bunch of recent and currently running titles. Best to strike while the iron is hot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
fighterholic



Joined: 28 Sep 2005
Posts: 9193

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
You would not want to be hit if they really did catch you for illegal downloading, because it will hurt your wallet indefinitely and then you're wondering why you're having to work even more to pay off stuff. They're really going after people in this matter, I can tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
hikaru004



Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 2305

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Good to hear that more companies are jumping on the C&D bandwagon, I suppose. I'm not surprised that it's a company like Showgate, since they've got a bunch of recent and currently running titles. Best to strike while the iron is hot.


This may be more than a C&D. Odex fined the people $3,000-5,000 each. I feel sorry for those receiving notices.

I also agree that Sony shouldn't have made that a PS3 exclusive or made it a rental for $3 when download to own cost exactly the same for other titles and portable versions of other titles cost the same amount of money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group