• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Showgate Warns Alleged Singaporean File-Sharers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
Askman wrote:

Going after single people, and in the MPAA situation, can hit someone really hard and that could easily freak out other people and might stop them from doing it because they might be the next ones.

Seriously now, do you really believe it or have one iota of evidence to backup that people act like that? Not even close. The RIAA has done it longer and they are not exactly nice people, yet they've failed miserably. The MPAA has done no better.

Quote:

Also, I have no sympathy for people who are hit by large fines or jail time. They knew they were breaking the law when they did those acts, so they should have been prepared to accept any consequences.

So you agree with laws in some places where stealing bread = chopped off arm? You said "any" consequences, and in the same way that bread = the loss of an arm (which most people would find overkill) high fines or long periods of jail time for a crime which has hard to measure damages makes little sense.

I don't understand how anyone could support injustice to "send a message" So what about the death penalty? Why not just kill them? Would that be going too far? At what point does the punishment not suit the crime for you?
Askman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Seriously now, do you really believe it or have one iota of evidence to backup that people act like that? Not even close. The RIAA has done it longer and they are not exactly nice people, yet they've failed miserably. The MPAA has done no better.

I do not believe that it will prove to be effective. I do believe that is the message they are trying to send out to people. However, the problem with this strategy is that it has never proven to be an effective deterrent. People are going to continue downloading. All I was saying is that I believe that is their strategy.

Quote:
So you agree with laws in some places where stealing bread = chopped off arm? You said "any" consequences, and in the same way that bread = the loss of an arm (which most people would find overkill) high fines or long periods of jail time for a crime which has hard to measure damages makes little sense.

I never said I agreed with the punishments. However, to use your example, if someone does get their arm chopped off because they stole the bread, they would not get any sympathy, because they damn well knew that they would get a hell of a punishment for committing the crime. However, we are living in a world where we damn well know what the possible implications of illegal downloading could be. If these people choose to do so anyway, they should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

I'll say it again: I do not agree with the extreme punishments that some companies are doing to people who are downloading fansubs. On the other hand, these people know what they were getting into when they decided to do it.
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:59 am Reply with quote
I aint going to get into this kind of debate anymore it aint worth it. Its just a shame that these kind of threads get more posts than whats your fave anime kind of thread. And we seem to have a lot of people allways bickering with each other instead of enjoying anime *shrug* just my 2 cents.

And too quote from another thread "The fandom is rotting from the inside" because of all the infighting...........It will sort itself out over time hopefully.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
My main beef with downloads right now is that they tend to be dub-only.

Just wanted to say that your statement is misguided.

There are many subbed downloads through websites, I don't really know where you're looking for anime but definitely the belief that anime downloads are dub only is false.

However, I don't know your taste in anime. I'm just saying not to make such a large generalization.

Kireek, just don't post anymore. xD I just find it funny when people do post their opinion, some people think they're actually forcing others to do "as they say."

It's more like an argument to get to a total understanding that will never be reached on both sides. I mostly stopped because I didn't bother to listen to such stupid accusations. *shrugs.*
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
I just wanted to say that I didn't read the article.

I did eagerly click on the link for the article, but then I saw that I read the headline too fast, and it was referring to something called Japan's Showgate, and not Japan's Shogunate, and I was very disappointed that the past had not been replaced with a much cooler alternate past while I was sleeping.
halo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:20 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
I aint going to get into this kind of debate anymore it aint worth it. Its just a shame that these kind of threads get more posts than whats your fave anime kind of thread. And we seem to have a lot of people allways bickering with each other instead of enjoying anime *shrug* just my 2 cents.

And too quote from another thread "The fandom is rotting from the inside" because of all the infighting...........It will sort itself out over time hopefully.

You're in the wrong section, try here. There are 50-some page threads for stuff like Code Geass and Claymore. Feel free to use the "New Topic" button in the upper left if these aren't to you're liking. This section is for talking about anime news topics, which is kinda the main point of this website. In these threads people usually tend to diagree with each other, as they do with everything else on the internet.
Kireek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:40 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
Kireek wrote:

You're in the wrong section, try here. There are 50-some page threads for stuff like Code Geass and Claymore. Feel free to use the "New Topic" button in the upper left if these aren't to you're liking. This section is for talking about anime news topics, which is kinda the main point of this website. In these threads people usually tend to diagree with each other, as they do with everything else on the internet.

Hece why I said im not going to debate in these type of threads anymore so theres no neetd to tell me im in the wrong section??????? Not that I have problem with the other topics pn the website you pointed out you understand.
kokuryu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
The Sekirei letters were a mistake, no doubt about it. They only had intent letters, nothing was signed yet, so they shouldnt be going after anyone in the US yet.
Skyhawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Before BAYTSP sends out these letters for Aniplex, they need to make sure they are licensed private investigators in every state they send these letters to. They will run into the same problems that Media Sentry is starting to have doing the same work for the RIAA. Two states are considering criminal charges for violating Cease and Desist Orders and also to include DMCA and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act violations for computer intrusion.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Askman wrote:

I do not believe that it will prove to be effective. I do believe that is the message they are trying to send out to people.

Fair enough I agree that this is probably what they were thinking.

Quote:

They would not get any sympathy, because they damn well knew that they would get a hell of a punishment for committing the crime. However, we are living in a world where we damn well know what the possible implications of illegal downloading could be. If these people choose to do so anyway, they should be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

Well, that's consistent, and I can understand your viewpoint well enough. But, that being said, even if I would be "prepared to accept the consequences" that doesn't mean I would think they are just. I suppose what you mean by sympathy is that you wouldn't feel sorry for them, and while I would feel sorry for them it would mainly be because I think the punishment too extreme, not because I think they were getting into something they couldn't anticipate.

I mean, lets say someone is injured severely playing football or gets shot in a hunting accident. Everyone knows these things can happen in that kind of activity, but does that mean we shouldn't sympathize with them just because they knew it was possible? I think you would probably say it's ok not to sympathize here on the basis that the activity is illegal, but lets say something ridiculous was illegal, like football? Should we allow any punishment to be imposed for infractions of a law like that?

Honestly I don't see copying as any less natural than playing football. It's negative if it's done in a manner that causes people not to buy or support anything, but it's also in many cases (even when done illegally) not immoral at all. That is unless you have some kind of ethic that says the law is absolute.

Quote:

I'll say it again: I do not agree with the extreme punishments that some companies are doing to people who are downloading fansubs. On the other hand, these people know what they were getting into when they decided to do it.

I guess I missed another post you had made elsewhere on the subject. But I agree here obviously.
yoru08

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:02 am Reply with quote
Normally, I don't want to argue or just want to stay in neutral side
but lately, especially after reading alot of "heroic" messages, please allow me to express my opinions and I certaintly welcome all of feedbacks - good or bad. However, please consider this is friendly message, don't take this too personally. If anyone feels insulted because of this, I apologized in advance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I want to ASK FIRST : Regarding to Japan Non-Stop Attack

""""""""""""""WHY STARTING NOW??"""""""""""""""""""""""

I/. The long, long history between the co-existent between the Fansubbers and File-Sharer!!

__As long as everyone barely remember, anime-fansubbers have been around this world (Entire Earth) for very very long time
Well, you can say, Once Upon A Time...etc.
So do File-sharers
Without fansubbers, without file-sharer, I doubt every single one of you here ever have the chances to getting to know about the greatness of Japanese animation or even to be here to discuss about your favorite titles, characters, story..etc
Would anyone here dare to say that " I have never ever download anime from Japan by "whatever method" (I won't say "legal" or "illegal" as yet) freely? and that I only watch the licensed anime by buying them crazily (by watching previews, ads..)"

2/. The Consequences / Punishment / Legal Acts??

To tell the truth, "Unless you are in other's shoes, you won't know"
Animation titles was bornt from many different studios in Japan only
and Japanese otaku(s) are the ones that having the most advantage to freely purchase / support their own domestic products
However , for us, who living world apart, and having "nasty, crazed, and very picky" distributors, the source of anime is only 45%

For example,
VIZ MEDIA, postponed many titles just because on their report, the annual sale is "RED" marks
Have they ever cared about their consumers a bit?
ADV FILMS, poor quality - their dubbing are a joke
GENEON, BEST - but the price a bit high than others
FUNIMATION, GREAT - However, lately, their quality dropping down little by little especially on VIRDIAN COLLECTION or BOXSET
Their prices are acceptable

Just by punishing /accusing/ sending C&D..is one-way of treatment to this traditional history
That not solving the matter in peaceful way but turning it to another disater.
1/. The fansubbers getting more and more upset . One day, they all doing it secretly - no LEECHERS , just among the group
2/. Without certain source from fansubbers, the file-sharers also disappearing
I think , most people will say, THAT GOOD! Now there is no more "bread-stealing, illegal sharing"
But, who suffering the most? The industry, the consumer, or all of you , anime hard-core fans?
The results:
1/. Japan winning the case to keep their domestic product not to be leaking out to anywhere else
That meant the anime source totally be shut down in internal sharing only.
2/. Our country, the source dropping down to 15%, only small certain licensed anime available to buy / rent /view online by pre-paid program.
3/. What would happening to ANIME CONVENTION? Do we only discuss about 3-4 domestic titles? Visit same faces over and overr?

WAIT! You can say that I totally supporting to free , illegal file-sharing.
I do support our own coutry domestic products. If not, I won't get mad at VIZ MEDIA acts of stopping the certain titles without warning. If not, I am not dare to say I am a proud citizen of my country U.S
But, for non-native and limited source of anime here, that understandable for anime hard-core fans to seeking out more to satisfy their hunger. That human natural being!
Unless someone, something miraculously destroy the bridge of limited source of anime industry in non-native countries, the existence of both fansubbers/file-sharer won't be gone completely
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2