• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Losses Mount in Second Quarter

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Nonetheless, he feels that once the Chaotic game fully ramps up, and once 4Kids launches its two blocks of Saturday morning children's television programming on The CW Network and on Fox, prospects for the rest of the year and the first half of 2009 will be brighter.

Anyone else... Kinda sense a tone within the article's author? Anime hyper

It's fairly amusing.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
Well, good luck to them. They're lucky they haven't been killing themselves with some of the other stuff that's been going on these days. They're really going to have to come up with something to stay afloat, if they can.
bleuster

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
Do they have new shows licensed for the revamped blocks?

As much as people give them a hard time, I liked how they handled Mew Mew Power and the one with those tree musical witches or whatever.
I actually would stay up and watch those two shows on the rare occasions when I wake up before noon on Saturdays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Well, good luck to them. They're lucky they haven't been killing themselves with some of the other stuff that's been going on these days. They're really going to have to come up with something to stay afloat, if they can.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they produce the american broadcasting of that one anime about... mountain biking?

And it failed miserably or something...

Granted that was a year or two ago, but that failure had to hurt.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
This loss may seem like something they might be able to handle, but the thing is how they are going to handle it. If they have a steady loss of revenue and capitol throughout the year, I see layoffs coming by the end of the year. And Al may still be able to bonus if he can think of something.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
This loss may seem like something they might be able to handle, but the thing is how they are going to handle it. If they have a steady loss of revenue and capitol throughout the year, I see layoffs coming by the end of the year. And Al may still be able to bonus if he can think of something.

Um, the article specifically said that their revenues were up, and capitol is something else entirely. Pretty much, they spent more than they made this quarter with the launch of the new card game, as was said. All that needs to happen is for kids to get their parents to buy this new card game for them, and 4Kids will be in the clear. Keep grasping at dreams and straws, Kahn. Smile
MageofFire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think the card game will help 4Kids get out of the hole. Doesn't this card game have to go up against Yu-Gi-Oh! and Magic the Gathering? As well as other trading card games?
daedelus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Now might be a good time to buy some stock; keeping in mind the old saying, "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." A small buy of maybe 100 shares might be a good investment.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
Chaotic seems to be fairly popular, though not nearly as popular as Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh! were in their heydays, at least from what I've seen. I've seen the product in quite a few stores over the last few months.

I actually don't have much of a problem with them; in terms of anime localization, as long as the titles they license actually fit with their targeted demographic (Dinosaur King, Pokemon), then I don't really worry, as they tend to do a better job on the more kid-friendly titles (probably because there's less to edit out =\).

Kyogissun wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they produce the american broadcasting of that one anime about... mountain biking?

And it failed miserably or something...

Granted that was a year or two ago, but that failure had to hurt.

Idaten Jump was handled by Hasbro.

The only thing they did "right" with that title was that they actually kept all of the names. Though given how about half of the series' episodes were spliced in half, I would've taken name changes any day. This was really mind-boggling, especially since they did a decent job with the various Transformers and Beyblade series.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
DOWN WITH 4KIDS Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad! They ruined one piece and even shows like SM had some big plot changes. Thanks funimation for bringing back one piece! Sorry just had to rant.
jedimaster5000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:51 am Reply with quote
HAHAHA, time to become bankrupt 4kids (even though thats not possible, since they have YUGIOH and Pokemon w/ them)
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:48 am Reply with quote
They need to stop relying on card games, even though they have been big money makers in the past. Although I wouldn't be suprised if 4Kids went under in the next few years. Would be nice to see Viz get most of their licenses.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
They deserve it. Thank God they never got started with PreCure. I hope some better company picks it up.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
They deserve it. Thank God they never got started with PreCure. I hope some better company picks it up.

you can catch first 2 episodes of PreCure on Direct2Drive....both are in Japanese audio with English subtitles...

i would buy them but i don't do download to own video...it's too much work to get it on TV...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
inu-liger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
jedimaster5000 wrote:
HAHAHA, time to become bankrupt 4kids (even though thats not possible, since they have YUGIOH and Pokemon w/ them)

Ummm????
They DON'T have Pokemon anymore. That's a huge reason they're NOT making money anymore Very Happy

Pokemon USA (PUSA) took all the licences back from 4Kids last year, and have running the anime and everything else by themselves since, starting with season 9 I believe (now it's going into season 11).

Yu-Gi-Oh..................meh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4