• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids' Losses Mount in Second Quarter

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Yugioh Abridged pwns anything 4kids ever made... in America! Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
Um, the article specifically said that their revenues were up, and capitol is something else entirely. Pretty much, they spent more than they made this quarter with the launch of the new card game, as was said. All that needs to happen is for kids to get their parents to buy this new card game for them, and 4Kids will be in the clear. Keep grasping at dreams and straws, Kahn. Smile

Kind of reminds me of Enron in a way Wink Their problem in investing is the turn around time. If they were able to manage that a little more then they wouldn't be having problems.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
LordPrometheus wrote:
Yugioh Abridged pwns anything 4kids ever made... in America! Wink

4Kids didn't deserve Yu-Gi-Oh! It's not aimed at kids! Only grown-ups are allowed to play children's card games! Very Happy
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
in all seriousness, does 4kids have any profitable franchises left? i mean they lost Pokemon, and the Yugioh trend is pretty much dead and buried. i can only imagine how much money they lost on the flop that was the TMNT movie.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
I used to hate 4kids but now I just pity them... I wrote a novel and am writing a sequel where one of the main characters is a religious One Piece fan (by which I mean it's part of her religion to watch One Piece) and I made two jokes involving how 4kids is going down hill... one was a joke with the On Notice Board where she took down 4kids name (or was it Kahn... either or, I need to double check) and the other was in the sequel that I'm currently writing where he talks about how sad it is that 4kids is hanging on to Yu-Gi-Oh... and how stupid the concept of that new show is...
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
I absolutely hate how 4Kids butchered and ruined One Piece, so I hope this company continues to lose money, that way they'll be forced to close.

Think of this as revenge 4Kids, you ruined One Piece and several other shows. Good thing Funimation saved One Piece though, those morrons at 4kids don't know anything about doing quality work.
Yeah, Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
I hated 4kids before it was cool to hate them and i can not tell you how great it is to see them in there current state, everything the anime fans said was true, we were all right all along. They were behind the times in thinking what american kids wanted, look at Viz with Naruto and Bleach and look how well they are doing while staying true to the japanese version, it warms my heart to see this when i thought the norm was 4kids dubbed garbage on TV.

Only Yu-Gi-Oh is left for them and it is sunk, who watches it plays it anymore? Someone should tell Al Khan that kids grow up and won't watch the same garbage they feed to everyone. Kids now are not watching 4kids garbage on tv, they are drooling over Miley Cryus and Vanessa Hudgens and 4kids 1990's policy of american kids being to stupid to accept other countrys proved wrong wrong wrong and for us fans this is a victory, we where right all along.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
The joke is they are prefectly capable of releaseing a show without making a total mess of it.

Ok, it will still have edits and the like, but it will at least be enjoyable.

And whilst AFIK; Ultimate Muscle did gangbusters for them (or rather, enough for them to get a season 2 produced for themselves), Shaman King (thier "best" dub) went the way of the dodo and hence more or less enabled thier nonsence.
Yeah, Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
4kids dubs are all garbage if you watch them, i say none are good by today standerds, i hate it when people complain about stuff like Naruto and Bleach dubs and anyother modern dubs, i remember when stuff like FMA would have got 4kids dubs, the fans got what they wanted all right.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:34 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
They deserve it. Thank God they never got started with PreCure. I hope some better company picks it up.

you can catch first 2 episodes of PreCure on Direct2Drive....both are in Japanese audio with English subtitles...

i would buy them but i don't do download to own video...it's too much work to get it on TV...
3 more episodes have been added by Toei.
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
They're putting a lot of faith in the card game Chaotic (and associated show), which from my experiences looks to becoming a luke-warm hit in a market already saturated with a number of card games. But, as someone pointed out, 4kids is not doing terribly; they just spent far more than they earned. Here's to seeing how those investments pays off.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
As for that Chaotic card game thing, I haven't seen a deck or pack of those cards being sold so far at my local Wal-Mart, and the section where all those cards are kept has like an overstock of them. So as for the game being popular, I don't know about that; it seems to me that it holds no interest to the card gamer crowd.

But as much as it sucks to see that 4Kids is seeing a loss, I can't say I sympathize with them too much. With how much they butchered their anime and came up with some not-so-great dubs (One Piece, Shaman King), it kinda stands to reason that they were going to see a loss.

Now if only Funimation or Viz or someone would save Shaman King like One Piece was saved. That would make me a happy panda. Anime hyper
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
But as much as it sucks to see that 4Kids is seeing a loss, I can't say I sympathize with them too much. With how much they butchered their anime and came up with some not-so-great dubs (One Piece, Shaman King), it kinda stands to reason that they were going to see a loss.

Keep in mind, however, WHY they bastardize those shows - so that they can be targeted towards a younger demographic (which is why they are 4kids and not 4otherpeople.)

I've seen the cards move, but at a very sluggish pace. If the show doesn't start gaining popularity, the cards themselves will fade away into obscurity in less than a year.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

Keep in mind, however, WHY they bastardize those shows - so that they can be targeted towards a younger demographic (which is why they are 4kids and not 4otherpeople.)

I've seen the cards move, but at a very sluggish pace. If the show doesn't start gaining popularity, the cards themselves will fade away into obscurity in less than a year.
I know why they did it, and 4Kids even admitted themselves they didn't like how One Piece turned out, which is why they stopped dubbed it and Funimation got the rights.

I didn't even know there was a show for Chaotic; I just saw the game when I was organizing the card section and went "Oh what now? Another card game?"
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
They need to stop relying on card games, even though they have been big money makers in the past. Although I wouldn't be suprised if 4Kids went under in the next few years. Would be nice to see Viz get most of their licenses.

Couldn't've said it better myself, hon. Viz or FUNi could really breathe new life into some childhood favorites, which I think would bring a smile to any new or veteran fan's face.

Don't get me wrong, now. Even with the problems folks've had with 4Kids, and I understand and even agree with for the most part, I still found certain dubs, like Shaman King's, to be fairly well done and, at times, a very funny and enjoyable experience. I can recall a set of lines from one ep. wherein Horohoro (dubbed Trey, yes, that was one of the more ridiculous ones) made a sarcastic remark to the effect of, "Ooh. Mamy and Daddy are fighting again!" when referring to two of his friends. That genuinely made me laugh and I still smile when remembering today.

But as I aforementioned, as much as I cherished their shows as a kid and still do nostalgically (yes, I'll still defend them from that standpoint, at least), I'd feel phenomenally better if their titles, such as Shaman King, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew etc. were "rescued" so to speak by another North American anime company and given the re-start that FUNi has so graciously given One Piece. That would make me overjoyed. Anime catgrin A company like that has really shown us, I believe, how much they respect the material they're handling, whether that be in regards to the cultural references, char. nuances, or overall storyline, and sadly that is something that sadly, time and time again, 4Kids-- even as far back as they were called the FoxBox-- has shown that they won't or can't do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4