• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime on US Phones & Free Japanese Manga on iPhone, DS

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
i can't wait to get my new phone next week to try this out.
Although I have to wonder, will it be dub only for Moonphase?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
I need a cellphone >.<
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
Argh... Verizon never gets in on these cool deals Confused
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering about how successful this will be, seeing as how the regular commute time in America is quicker or a least doesn't necessarily allow for time to read stuff on your phone... hard to catch up on Shonen Sunday when you're on the I90 to Boston.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
I'm wondering about how successful this will be, seeing as how the regular commute time in America is quicker or a least doesn't necessarily allow for time to read stuff on your phone... hard to catch up on Shonen Sunday when you're on the I90 to Boston.
People may watch more while they're at work or in class. Older, employed Americans I can't comment on but at least the college students where I go to class are practically addicted to cellphones. I once saw a guy stay on his phone throughout an entire class. . . an hour and 40 minute night class.

Rush hour traffic some places makes the highway into a parking lot.
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote
I have an iPhone with the 2.0 software update but I still can't imagine trying to read manga on such a small screen. Dubbed anime works better though. In fact I've used handbreak to put whole DVD's of whatever on my phone for those times when I'm bored out of my mind and have nowhere I can go.

For those who don't know, the AT&T contract is more of a rip-off now than before, but the iPhone itself is pretty damn cool and it's nice to have a phone that can be updated after your original purchase.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

With the increasing cost of gasoline, more people are taking the bus, which (at least in Seattle) can easily double the commute time.

But even outside of commuting, I'm excited to see anime and manga companies moving into the 21st century and embracing the Internet and other technologies. Very Happy
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
I remembered saying I'd give this a try when I got my new cell phone. I'm on bedrest so I gave it a go. The sound is pretty good, but the picture quality horrible. I'm on the new iPhone and the images in the promos were bad.

I didn't download the service, but I have wonder if I'd get better quality if I downloaded it.I don't get how they expect to sell the service when promo looked so bad.

To anyone who was intersted I'd say avoid.
You could get a higher quality vid on YouTube.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1