• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2008 Fansubs and Industry Panel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBigN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Then how do you explain FUNi's success when they are basically doing the samething as Geneon and ADV have done, albeit with different titles?

Isn't the point that they are different titles, in terms of target audience and exposure? Isn't it that the reputation company selling it helps, but ultimately what's being sold that matters?
billborden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
billborden wrote:
The first point is valid, or would be except that the entire argument is that the process needs to be streamlined, ie: eliminating those bottlenecks. If the industry claims that there can be no streamlining, then they will fail and the fan-subs will succeed; it's that simple. The anime industry will not go away in Japan, any more than sit-coms ever did in America; because when the inflexible companies fall, more industry capable groups come along and produce the same same, or better, quality for a reasonable price. The single most factious argument I've heard on this thread is that "company x claims that it works, so who are we to argue?" This discussion exists because whatever they are doing ISN'T working, companies aren't making enough money (Genon, ADV). The fact is, any company is quite capable of repeating the same failing process over and over, claiming the result will be different each time, until it is on--or past--the brink of failure. A company that is too hidebound to change when change is necessary, will fail, and it will not be the first time.
Then how do you explain FUNi's success when they are basically doing the samething as Geneon and ADV have done, albeit with different titles?

Because their not. First a disclaimer, I have not heard anything recently about how well FUNi is doing, so I'll trust Mohawk52's comment that they are among the few doing well. If they are, it's not too hard to see why. Beyond even the broader sweep of their library, they price their 4-5 episode disks at $20-$28 SRP and season box sets at $50-$70 SRP. Also, they don't load their DVD's with extra bells and whistles that add to the price. They have a history of reasonable price/product. Personally, I'd like to see them jump on the sub-only bandwagon and drop prices even more, but that may still be a minority opinion.

That being said, my comments were aimed at the industry in general, not at specific companies. Unless I've missed something, the R1 industry is in trouble, and--like the RIAA--they decide first to blame a new technology, rather than looking at their own practices. I acknowledge that the i-Tunes model will not fit the Anime/movie industry exactly, due to differences in the product, but all reports (including the RIAA's, grudgingly) have shown that a legal, affordable alternative will drastically reduce free-downloads.
billborden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of companies doing well, I would be interested in knowing how well Media Blasters and Nozomi are doing with their sub-only lines. They seem to be good models to follow; assuming they are doing well.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Amplified wrote:
Wow, see these are the guys defending their DUBBED anime? Speaking about screwing up the _japanese_ culture phenomenon, dubbing really destroyes a serie if anything. The only way people get their series might be thru fansubs since companies arent keeping the original work :S

p.s They can't even really pronounce the names of the series right. Scary tbh Shocked

Japanese anime isn't limited to Japanese culture only. Look at Full Metal Alchemist, Emma, Armitage III for example.

Simple enough, you really have no clue what you're talking about. Dubbing does NOT "Destroy" a series. If you don't watch dubs at all, then don't say something so ignorant. >_>;

4Kids have to really be the true exception since they try to give an interest to certain series for a younger aged audience (Censorship is essential in this case). I don't think they get many anime titles anymore, though.

(Shin-chan is an exception of changed dialogue (very few anime change the script completely), but I couldn't have it any other way. It's still funny. )

So yeah, I'm defending my dubs.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote
TheBigN wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Isn't the point that they are different titles, in terms of target audience and exposure? Isn't it that the reputation company selling it helps, but ultimately what's being sold that matters?
We shall see when FUNi release all those other titles that they got handed to them from Geneon and ADV. Wink

@ billborden
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-08-02/navarre-reports-that-funimation-exceeds-q1-expectations
billborden

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

Thanks, any bright spot is good news.
Blassstt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
Uh. is there any way i can download the video?
WitchHunter325

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:27 am Reply with quote
This was interesting, but they didn't address what I think is one of the key issues. That being the superior quality of some fansubs. Before I get flamed, I'm not saying that all fansubs are better then official subs. What I'm talking about are exceptions, like Eclipse. For those who have seen their fansub of Clannad, does anyone really expect the ADV sub to even compare? If these companies want to compete with fansubs, they need to provide equal or better quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9