• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noir

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zidox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:56 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
zidox wrote:
I agree there isn't very much blood but why does it always have to contain loads of blood?

It doesn't have to contain loads of blood like Berserk or Hellsing. Even just a little would be nice.

Hehe if we go in detail... there is a little blood in the series Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:12 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
Elaborate? On what? No offense, but I just think they're fun & stylish. Never thought I'd have to pry into the personal reasons I think they're interesting a la Evangelion.

Hmm. No offense taken. Stylish? Yes, but they (I assume you mean Mireille and Kirika) didn't really strike me as fun. I just always see them as a couple of assasin babes trying to solve their pasts with a little bit of situational humor here and there. Nothing they did in the series really felt "fun" except for maybe when they were at their apartment drinking tea and watering that plant.

The characters in Evangelion though, are great. At least they made jokes and hit each other from time to time.

I don't know, I guess it's just the style of the show (Noir) that didn't appeal ... Rolling Eyes
It wasn't meant to be a black comedy drama in the first place so it's no wonder you didn't find any. Try Excel Saga, if you haven't already, you might find it more your cup of tea. Wink
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
It wasn't meant to be a black comedy drama in the first place so it's no wonder you didn't find any. Try Excel Saga, if you haven't already, you might find it more your cup of tea. Wink

Already seen it and love it. It's probably my favorite anime in terms of pure slapstick, off the wall, nonsense comedy.

By the way, isn't Noir also a term for some kind of French film?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Actaully, Noir is a French term for a film style that came from France, but it's not exclusive to the country itself. It means the color black, and from there you can kind of see why.

In it's usage for art style (a.k.a. film noir) it usually means a film that's based on a dark and moody setting. There are several other characterisitcs as well. There is usually only a little dialogue, and instead allow the mood to be set by music. They are usually tragic stories as well involving death and seperation. Many of the old Humphrey Bogart movies (especially Casablanca) used this film style.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I see. Well then the name makes perfect sense for the anime. I knew it meant "black," and my mother even kept getting on my case because I pronounced it incorrectly the first time I heard about it.

To everyone who doesn't know, it's pronounced (no * wa) or maybe even (nwa) if you say it fast enough; well, something like that.

I don't know the linguistics of the French language, but my mother actually speaks it a little fluently, so I trust her. But please don't pronouce it (no * arr.) It sounds like you have "no Rs" in your alphabet soup. Laughing

Feel free to correct me if you know any better.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I see. Well then the name makes perfect sense for the anime. I knew it meant "black," and my mother even kept getting on my case because I pronounced it incorrectly the first time I heard about it.

To everyone who doesn't know, it's pronounced (no * wa) or maybe even (nwa) if you say it fast enough; well, something like that.

I don't know the linguistics of the French language, but my mother actually speaks it a little fluently, so I trust her. But please don't pronouce it (no * arr.) It sounds like you have "no Rs" in your alphabet soup. Laughing

Feel free to correct me if you know any better.
Your mother has it in one. 10/10 to her.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:38 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
However, my only problem is that I don't care much for accordians

I stand corrected. I just listened to .hack//SIGN OST Vol.2 and they (the accordians) sound much better in this soundtrack than in Noir. Kajiura-sama is a great musician indeed. (*nods head in approval*) Yup.
is2hyolee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:37 am Reply with quote
... i watched this series sometime last year, it wasn't too bad ...
... i like the idea of female Assasins, although you gotta thing about as there as a fair bit of talking and not enough action ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2