• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noir

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yonel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to know if some one like the end of the anime Noir ?

I think that Noir must have been Kirika and Chloe and forget Mireille ...

Confused
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Along with a majority of the series, I didn't like the ending either.

The show itself seemed episodic a lot of the time. Both girls, Mireille and Kirika, getting hired to take out various targets. Very little, or NO comedy relief to compliment the dark and mysterious storyline.

On top of that, those lines that kept flashing in the animation as a result of formatting it into Anamorphic Widescreen really made it frustrating to watch.

I also didn't like the fact that there wasn't any blood in the series. No matter how much someone got shot, chopped, or stabbed, there wasn't a single drop, except for a maybe small wound.

The characters were kind of boring. Maybe because most of the cast being mostly female made it a little boring for me too (since I'm a guy.) But that's not make me sound sexist or anything. I just didn't find the series that entertaining in an overall sense.

There were a few good arcs like that Intocobile thing, the part where they go to Taiwan, and then that Noir thing towards the end. A decent series, but I wouldn't buy it unless it was very cheap and I had absolutely nothing else to buy.

And welcome to the forums! Wink
Yonel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:21 pm Reply with quote
thank u i enjoiy your answer
Very Happy Very Happy
cyrax777

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:13 pm Reply with quote
as Much as I liked noir it would have been better at 13 eps.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
as Much as I liked noir it would have been better at 13 eps.

I actually agree. I loved the show, but it sorta dragged a bit at the start, and a bit in the middle. Takes them forever to actually get around to Les Soldats.

Anyway, as I said, I quite liked Noir. Had a nice Parisian style to it that made it really stand out, as well as likeable characters and a superb soundtrack. Animation could have used a bit of work, though, as some gunfights just got a little repetitious with all the stock "sliding & firing" shots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
As said, artwork isn't top notch. Great music though, but that won't save a horrible plot.

No, the plot is actually quite alright. It's a little slow but they did have to fill out 26 episodes with something. I'm up to episode 17 or so and I'm still only catching glimpses of who the Soldats really are. I do know by now there are spoiler[ two or more factions, Chloe belonging to one of them. I can't say that Mireille isn't important to the plot. Afterall, she's an important link between Kirika and Soldats. Chloe doesn't even begin to appear until about a third of the way into the series. Her past, her parents' past, that pocket watch, etc.]

I stopped at episode 17 or 18 (can't remember, getting old) because I'm now caught up with watching GITS: Stand Alone Complex.

That's not saying Noir is crap, just that GITS is a whole lot better and I want to finish that first.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:25 am Reply with quote
Decent series, kinda dark and brooding but that's cool. Cool but as i have mentioned in a previous post, This series dragged on longer than it deserved to. the ending was ok. (After awhile i get bored of the "let's kill off the major character(s) for a ending they won't forget" finale.)

The ending theme (Beautiful emotions) is a pleasant tune.
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm about halfway through this series and so far I'm not to pleased. While some episodes I very much enjoy, others seem to be a pain to watch. The verdict is still out on my feelings for the lack of blood, but I think its a unique concept?

I like the storyline ideas so far, I just think it drags a bit. I agree with whomever commented on the parisian feel. Its very nice.

The music saves this show; I find it very pleasing and great to listen to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
as well as likeable characters

Huh? Could you please elaborate a little?

I actually watched about half of it, then went on a 3 month hiatus after that and finally finished it. What did you like about the characters? Maybe after such a long period of time between the stopping point and the finishing, I lost the idea. Can you help me out, maybe?

Nagisa wrote:
a superb soundtrack.

Yeah, I'll agree with you here. In my hurry to post my initial comments, I totally forgot to mention the soundtrack. I have the first one, and I've listened to it maybe... 12 times now.

I like how Kajiura-sama arranged a lot of these songs with a very quainte European flavor. However, my only problem is that I don't care much for accordians, but other than that, I just about adore this soundtrack.

I'm ordering all of the .hack//SIGN LE sets w/ OSTs included, so that should give me a lot more exposure to her wonderfully composed music. Anime hyper
zidox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Well imo this is one of the better series I have watched, I agree that the first few eps seem kinda slow, I even thought it was kinda boring.. but from the moment I got passed ep 10 it started to get really interesting, (especially when Chloe gets involved) I got hooked on Noir from that instant and had to see all the rest of the eps.. which was a good decision cause I liked the rest AND the ending. The ending is well done.

I agree there isn't very much blood but why does it always have to contain loads of blood ? The animation is maybe not "the best", but it's still quite good and it creates a good atmosphere (especially in Paris etc.) plus some of the fighting scenes are really a beauty to watch. spoiler[I think at ep 19 or something where Mireille watches Chloe and Kirika fight together is a really awesome fighting scene!]

And indeed the music truly rocks. (Yuki Kajiura)

So to put it short, first few eps might seem quite boring but they are just to get to know the first 2 main characters (Mireille and Kirika) better. Afer that the story builds up quite quick, and all the pieces of the puzzel that were missing in the beginnin are all starting to clear up the more u watch.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:21 pm Reply with quote
zidox wrote:
I agree there isn't very much blood but why does it always have to contain loads of blood?

It doesn't have to contain loads of blood like Berserk or Hellsing. Even just a little would be nice.

I don't know. I guess being a guy, I would usually incorporate violence and blood to be hand in hand.

In the case of Noir there were just too many dark colors (like black, dark blue, and not to mention the lack of lighting,) and I suppose a few streaks of red here and there might have kept it a little more artistic looking (for me, anyway.)

Bah, never mind, it's just my own tiny gripe about the show. Rolling Eyes

Overall though, yes. I also think it should've been 13 episodes instead of 26, as it seemed kind of boring at the beginning.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Noir is french for black, so that's maybe a reason that it is so dark on times. Wink
I've just finished Vol. 4. I love it. I love the feel of the underlying tension between Kirika, Merielle, and now Chloé. The music is haunting and sticks in my mind. I find myself humming the BGM of the fight scenes in my head when I'm driving down the motorway (scary I know Shocked ). This is one of those rare anime's that only a mature person with a bit of mileage under one's belt can and will enjoy because it's similar in tone to a P.D. James mystery, or an Inspector Morse drama. Yes there isn't any blood in the killing scenes, but some live action dramas are the same. It depends when, at what time, this TV series was transmitted in Japan that would have decided that. I think the animation is very good, as good as Kiki's Delivery Service. which was drawn in the same French Reviera setting. Having been to that part myself I can tell you that they got it very right. I'd love to find more anime's like this. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Nagisa wrote:
as well as likeable characters

Huh? Could you please elaborate a little?

Elaborate? On what? No offense, but I just think they're fun & stylish. Never thought I'd have to pry into the personal reasons I think they're interesting a la Evangelion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Elaborate? On what? No offense, but I just think they're fun & stylish. Never thought I'd have to pry into the personal reasons I think they're interesting a la Evangelion.

Hmm. No offense taken. Stylish? Yes, but they (I assume you mean Mireille and Kirika) didn't really strike me as fun. I just always see them as a couple of assasin babes trying to solve their pasts with a little bit of situational humor here and there. Nothing they did in the series really felt "fun" except for maybe when they were at their apartment drinking tea and watering that plant.

The characters in Evangelion though, are great. At least they made jokes and hit each other from time to time.

I don't know, I guess it's just the style of the show (Noir) that didn't appeal ... Rolling Eyes
SSJ Ski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quote
The characters in Evangelion are on a whole different level when comparing them to the ones in Noir.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2