• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Toward The Terra DVD 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hm, good review. I'd been tossing around the idea of buying this for quite a while, but forgotten about it recently. Still not sure if I'm interested (though solid Bs is encouraging); I love sci-fi epics like the Sekai series, but I wonder if Terra would provide the same satisfaction.
indou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:45 am Reply with quote
Joined to post on this series Smile

If you enjoy classic science-fiction epics, you'll almost certainly enjoy Toward the Terra -- if you're not looking for romance or a space battle in every episode. It's a strongly character driven series with a storyline that covers a period of several decades, giving viewers a rare chance to watch the cast .

Do be aware that Toward the Terra takes its time getting off the ground. While the opening episodes, set when the characters are in their teenage years, are certainly enjoyable, the meat of this series really begins around episode 10, when the main characters have become older. One common complaint I've heard about the series from people who've dropped it after two to three episodes is that the main character is "too whiny." I found this refreshingly realistic for a change (he's 14, for crying out loud), and yes, he does grow out of it. As the characters age, the pace of storytelling increases, their personalities mature, and the decisions they are presented with become much more complex. Some of the characters become people you won't like, the "good guys" occasionally make morally questionable decisions, and there are even a few that turn out to be unexpectedly awesome people in the end. There are even some of those space battles along the way, as well as a large dose of tragedy.

This series has really been my favorite science fiction release of the last several years. The series as a whole leaves you feeling very satisfied, as if you've really come to know these characters and been involved in their struggle. It's a treat to have it come out on DVD stateside.

By the way, if you enjoy the anime series (or even perhaps if you don't) give the manga series (already published in English by Vertical as To Terra...) and the movie (previously published on VHS (got my copy in the 90s!) and forthcoming on DVD by Right Stuf (bless them)). They both present darker, grittier versions of the same story. The striking visual styles in each of these versions serve the story better than the happy environmental design of the television series, and present the world of the humans under Superior Domination as a much more sinister place (the review is right that the tv series could be more strongly developed here). The character of Keith is also significantly different in each of the versions -- for example, in the manga, he spends much more time questioning the system Rolling Eyes and develops more realistic reasons for following Mother's orders. There are also many scenes in the manga that were toned down or removed from the anime series entirely; this is a shame as all of them added to the development of the characters, their inner struggles, and their relationships to each other.

Anyway, whatever version you prefer, the TV series, even with a few weak episodes in this early set, is really a treat for science fiction fans who prefer some substance to their entertainment. Give it a shot (and watch the next collection Bandai will be releasing, before making up your mind on this series)!
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
While I agree with everything the reviewer said, I couldn't finish this series when I first watched it. Too much crying.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I liked Toward the Terra.... but not enough to buy it (yes, I watched fansubs, but deleted the episodes and am not distributing them - i respect licensing and so should you) It has some really strong elements to it, but it starts adding more and more characters in the second half to the point that they can't get the attention they deserve. Jomy and Keith stay great characters, though - particularly Keith, who is one of my favorite characters in recent anime I've seen.

It's definitely worth taking a look at, and I'm very glad I watched it, even if it didn't totally win me over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1