• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Upper Deck Ordered to Pay Aniplex US$3.9 Million+ for Kiba

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In August of this year, the Dutch trading card company Upper Deck International filed a lawsuit against its own Upper Deck Co. subsidiary in California — claiming that the subsidiary counterfeited the Yu-Gi-Oh! card game and cost its parent company millions of dollars in legal fees, lost sales, and damaged reputation.

lol Upper Deck International sued their own subsidiary , man the US subsidiary sucks.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Just as an FYI, all of the official information spells it "Roya", not "Roia" (both the US release, and the cards that came with the Japanese release).
toyNN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow I thought this was about the Yu-Gi-Oh card thing - but its about Kiba? I'm right in the middle of watching the anime too. Its been pretty good and I got the full series during one of the Crunchyroll-rightstuf special promotions. Had no idea it was involved in a lawsuit.

3.9$ million - sounds like Upper Deck has valid claims but getting involved in a partnership was bad luck right as the recession was hitting in the US.

By not paying and with the other lawsuit seems like Upper Deck will have to file bankruptcy.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
The entire Kiba franchise isn't even worth $1 million.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
$3.9 Million? Jeez, that's a lot of money. You could buy like five Aniplex Blurays for that!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:

3.9$ million - sounds like Upper Deck has valid claims but getting involved in a partnership was bad luck right as the recession was hitting in the US.

By not paying and with the other lawsuit seems like Upper Deck will have to file bankruptcy.

$3.9m is not that much. Card games are pretty good business. But of course they didn't see the recession. I don't see how they have a valid claim. I licensed an anime or manga from Japan. IF i don't make any money, I don't have to pay them?

More than one American companies tried to not pay those jp anime companies now. Maybe they think Japanese wouldn't know the American legal system.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
$3.9 Million? Jeez, that's a lot of money. You could buy like five Aniplex Blurays for that!
If they were on sale, maybe ;D
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Bravo. Very Happy
Ongaku_no_tenshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
If they were on sale, maybe ;D

This exchange had me laughing for quite a while. I thank and applaud you both. Laughing
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:38 am Reply with quote
Just another reason why Japanese animation companies won't want to make joint production shows with America. Thanks Upper Deck...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:39 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
toyNN wrote:

$3.9m is not that much. Card games are pretty good business. But of course they didn't see the recession. I don't see how they have a valid claim. I licensed an anime or manga from Japan. IF i don't make any money, I don't have to pay them?

No, seems like Upper Deck is part of the production committee, not a licensee. Unfortunately for them, Japan made something else that they couldn't sell to their audience. Advice to them: next time, put everything on signed paper, so if anyone deviates from what was agreed upon, you have a notarized claim.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Just another reason why Japanese animation companies won't want to make joint production shows with America. Thanks Upper Deck...

That and the boom ended 4 years ago peaking in 2004.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

*DEAD* Granted I do love AUSA (mostly for being the spiritual successor to Geneon USA), that post almost doesn't sound exaggerated
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1