• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2 Japanese Parties Propose Penalties for Illegal Downloads

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:24 am Reply with quote
So if it's not the DPJ making it harder for youths to get their jollies, it's the LDP tightening the download noose. Laughing
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:06 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

Swiss are OK. They don't produce anything significant to global media anyways. Ba-dum-ching! Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Melanchthon wrote:

Swiss are OK. They don't produce anything significant to global media anyways. Ba-dum-ching! Laughing

Well it's possible they are involved implicitly (software or entertainment) if for example, the parent of the parent company turns out to be "Swiss" since many large businesses and corporations are moving and have moved their headquarters to Switzerland, like in Zug, due to less regulation and much lower taxes.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
laws are always passed in incrementalism.. let this be a reminder.. for those simpletons who maintain that small passage into dojin or h manga one way or another seemingly targeting only a certain age group will be limited only at just that.. time to let your experience wisdom grow a bit. seriously, grow up.
jhuhn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Note to Japan: Anyone want to post #blackout on their Twitter account? :P

I hope this does not apply to JPGs and material that the user has created themselves.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
" impose a prison term of up to two years or a fine of up to 2 million yen (about US$26,000) for people who illegally download music and video files."

It sounds like Japan wants to become a police state over this, and it's an entirely stupid and destructive idea. What do they expect to come out of this? Do they expect to get more money from the Japanese people? Where will that money come from?

This money will come from other purposes those individuals would have chosen. It won't appear out of thin air as if to contribute to the media industry. And since this law won't affect just Japanese material American companies will lobby Japan to prosecute individuals for distribution of their stuff as well.

How do they plan to enforce this? That seems strangely lacking here, but it won't be lacking forever. The Japanese will step up monitoring of individual actions on the internet and allow allegations to be thrown directly from companies.

These laws destroy the freedom of everyone for the benefit of a few, and the amount that they will benefit that few in comparison to the detriment is not easy to calculate. One thing I can assure is it won't be good for Japanese culture to imprison people more for this. They won't make people into better people by using threats and a gun. This never works. One need only look at the drug prohibitions to find out.
setlib

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Japan is not becoming a police state -- it is joining the rest of the world in cracking down on theft.

The Recording Industry Association of America has already prosecuted individuals in America for illegally downloading music, at up to $80,000 per track: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/06/riaa-jury-slaps-2-million-fine-on-jammie-thomas/ although most offenders settle for far less than that.

While the RIAA has slowed down suing individuals due to the sheer amount of paperwork and court costs, movie companies and book publishers sued over 200,000 people in the U.S. for copyright infringement - since 2010 alone - with possible fines of $150,000: http://torrentfreak.com/major-book-publisher-files-mass-bittorrent-lawsuit-111031/

Tracking down offenders is very easy - just a matter of following the IP address. The recently proposed Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) would make it even easier - and could potentially add penalties of five years in prison for online piracy: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2011/11/sopa-copyright-bill-prison-for-pirated-posts.html

The number of legal ways to get manga and anime are rapidly increasing -- as are the potential risks of pirated material. My hope is that, as the creators of manga and anime make increased profits from the legitimate sale of their works, more material will be released in the U.S., further expanding our access to legal versions.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
setlib wrote:
The number of legal ways to get manga and anime are rapidly increasing -- as are the potential risks of pirated material. My hope is that, as the creators of manga and anime make increased profits from the legitimate sale of their works, more material will be released in the U.S., further expanding our access to legal versions.

Well I have an idea, but by the time they even bother to implement it, the events in Bubblegum Crisis would've (theoretically) started to happen.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
setlib wrote:
Japan is not becoming a police state -- it is joining the rest of the world in cracking down on theft.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowling_v._United_States_(1985)]Copyright infringement is not theft.[/url]
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
setlib wrote:
My hope is that, as the creators of manga and anime make increased profits from the legitimate sale of their works, more material will be released in the U.S., further expanding our access to legal versions.

Your hope is based on assumptions that are entirely unrealistic. You have bought into the propaganda that each download is a significant loss, when mostly those who download do so because they can, not because they'd actually be willing to buy anything in the alternative scenario.

Yes, there may be a few who will buy because they can't, but this number won't be nearly as significant as you'd like to think it will be.

But we'll see if it goes that way when these laws are passed.

The one thing I can guarantee is that no matter what happens most people will consider themselves worse off after these laws in comparison to the few who consider themselves better off due to them. This is a net-negative proposition in terms of human satisfaction.

If you are right we get some moderate bonus to the amount of Japanese work that comes to the US. If I'm right we get almost nothing and pay for it with our rights and our privacy.

Not to mention that enforcing these laws requires presumption of guilt. An IP address is not a person, regardless of how much you want to pretend that it is for convenience.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1