• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-22]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Simpsons plays in dubbed form on Japanese TV, though it's somewhat adapted for local tastes.

Wow, I'd love to see that. I can't imagine how The Simpsons can be made to be more appealing for Japanese fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
proserpine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
Oh, come. We all know Mr. Rogers wins.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
My bets are on Matt Cloverfield.

Last edited by tasogarenootome on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
loaded up with extra features starring Pixar honcho and chief Miyazaki ass-kisser, John Lasseter

Can someone not be a fan without being an ass-kisser anymore? I see no ass-kissing. His fannishness seems 100% genuine to me. Rolling Eyes
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
Aww. I'm disappointed. There are so many better match ups.

How about:

Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs Vash the Stampede (Trigun)
Alucard (Hellsing) vs D (Vampire Hunter D)
Seras Victoria (Hellsing) vs Saya (Blood: The Last Vampire)
The cast of Ninja Scroll vs the cast of Basilisk
Eva 01 (NGE) vs Rahxephon (Rahxephon)
The 08th MS team (Gundam) vs Mithril (Full Metal Panic!)
Section 9 (GitS: SAC) vs The Wolf Brigade (Jin-Roh)

Or in the realm of real people:
Mamoru Oshii vs Hayao Miyazaki

Oshii has guns on his side but I have a suspicion that Miyazaki can control the beasts of the earth with his mind.

As you have likely guessed by now, yes, I do have a talent for this stupid crap.

Quote:
"Yes. I'm not sugar coating this at all. The anime industry WILL be dead in 2-5 years if something does not change about fansubs."

I really hate these stupid extremists. They hurt the credibility of those who point out the more reasonable negative effects of fansubs and open the door to the whole circular debate that causes any discussion about fansubs to go nowhere.
emory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Powerpuff wasn't really that expensive. Consider it was 1998 and a few years later too. They had a tree fort of an operation and their writers were also their artists. They really did it on the cheap.

It just boils down to the fact that animation workers in the US have the leverage to earn better wages, as opposed to the disgustingly low wages paid by Japanese studios. We have unions, we've struck in the face of the corporations. Either Japan literally cannot afford the pay, their business model is screwed up (sounds like this is a big reason), or their staff has some weird guilt complex that makes them feel they deserve the wages they get.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
Kunihiko Ikuhara wrote:
This cost... HOW much? And it looks like THAT?!

Classic. Just classic. Laughing

dtm42 wrote:
It appears Dorcas_Aurelia's response regarding Elfen Lied did not get published this week. Shame, since they seemed so enthusiastic.

Yes. I would have liked to read that too.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:06 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

They would rather anime remain entirely in Japan, so they can use the lack of availability to justify their cheapness.

With them its not so much lets get this for free as they feel that anime is in the purest form when fansubbed. No company has touched it besides Japan, and because of that no type of edits were made at all. Nothing is censored, and its the same program the Japanese saw. Because the companies didn't release it they "know that for sure".
By buying the dvd, they "know" they are going to get something thats been edited.

Or at least, thats what the "Make Viz loose the license to Naruto crew" seems to think. When I read through on of their threads earlier this year. It was interesting, most of them were kids. But some were older, who were stuck in the 90s still traumatized from the Initial D dub and others like it.
Not to say there weren't some in there for free anime, but that to me didn't seem to be the majority.

I hope against the odds that ADV put forth the rest of whatever money they had into getting the EVA movie. If they could secure that they'd be secure for another 10 years. With re-releases and such.

Answerfans:

Luffy vs. Naruto = Luffy would win, because I think he could KO Naruto before naruto could change into Kyuubi.

Matt Greenfield vs. David Williams= David williams, his picture looks so badass.

dtm42 wrote:
Been off his game, he has.

To much Clone Wars? Or, hopefully too much Star Wars in anticipation for Clone Wars, which you didn't waste money on. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:52 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Aww. I'm disappointed. There are so many better match ups.

How about:

Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop) vs Vash the Stampede (Trigun)
Seras Victoria (Hellsing) vs Saya (Blood: The Last Vampire)
The cast of Ninja Scroll vs the cast of Basilisk
Eva 01 (NGE) vs Rahxephon (Rahxephon)
The 08th MS team (Gundam) vs Mithril (Full Metal Panic!)
Section 9 (GitS: SAC) vs The Wolf Brigade (Jin-Roh)

Oh, I love those match ups. Definitely more entertaining than the other ones.

I could just see Spike trying to get that huge $$ reward for catching Vash the Stampede, if only to get Bell Peppers and Beef. Now, Vash could easily annihilate Spike. However, as Vash is a pacifist, he would probably keep dodging Spike's bullets until the latter ran out, then dodge Spike's kicks until Spike was lying on the floor gasping for breath. Vash wins by default. Therefore, any sort of fight between the two is impossible, since Vash never needs to actually attack Spike.

Let's not go to the hell that is EVA 01 versus the RahXephon (or even the Xephon).

Alucard all the way. He's stronger and cooler. D has no hope.

Ditto with Seras Victoria. Especially when she gets an upgrade in the Manga (and maybe the OVAs, I don't know). Besides, as anyone with any common sense will know, an anti-tank cannon beats a sword any day.

Most of the cast of Basilisk wouldn't hold up against the Ninja Scroll lot, I think. But, there are more Ninjas in Basilisk than there are in something called "Ninja Scroll", which I think is amusing. Still, most of the cast of Basilisk would rather fight among themselves than fight anyone else. But in the end, if Oboro and Gennosuke tagged-teamed, they would be nigh-on unstoppable.

Mithral would win; their Mecha technology is inferior, but with a submarine that cannot be found (very easily) and with one Tessa Testarossa commanding the battle plans, they'll outwit and outlast. Besides, the soldiers from the 08th MS Team can die, but the main cast of Full Metal Panic cannot. That's a huge disadvantage.

Sorry, but haven't seen Jin-Roh. But they'll have a tough time beating The Major, I suppose.

Last edited by dtm42 on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
angieness

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
Couldn't Simon just use the Lagann to combine with the EVA? Anime hyper He combined with like everything else in GL, don't see why he couldn't do that with the EVAs. Granted the EVAs are alive but it'd be pretty awesome
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Miyazaki would get his mates from Disney to sort Oshii out, but (with a couple of exceptions) would himself heavily moderate the violence to broaden the fight's appeal, hoping to end it on a positive note.
The brawl would continue until:
a) Katsuhiro Otomo spoiler[destroys whatever city they're fighting in].
b) Hideaki Anno spoiler[fights them along with the entire human population and wins, only to declare that he has progressed them/it to the ultimate level of toughness.].
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Clarify please, you mean movie D or novel D. Because novel D is a whole nother beast that could probably give Alucard a run for his money.

As for the match ups. Luffy has shown better strength and speed feats. So Naruto's getting speed blitzed. Of course, Zac never clarified if they are in character or blood lusted.

Eva vs GL. Tough call really. One should not underestimate the hax that is spoiler[Spiral Energy. ]
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Matt Greenfield vs. David Williams

The answer is obviously Dan Green.

/yugioh abridged reference
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:30 am Reply with quote
Naruto VS Luffy......I would have to go with Naruto if it's from Shippuden. If not, it will be a tough call

Eva 01 VS Gurren Laggan. Well.....it depends on a lot of things. Fisrt off, witch GL? The original, middle one, or final? If it's either Tengen Toppa or the one beofre, EVA 01 has no chance. Spiral energy is too hax. If it's the original Gurren Lagan, mostl likely EVA, but it would be hard, because of said hax. Basicly, GL always "cheats", or just ignores common sense and wins anyway.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Behind all of their rants, all they really want is to get something for nothing. It wouldn't matter where the anime was coming from, they just don't want to contribute to the industry. They wouldn't buy from the studios in Japan if they could, not when they can get it for free. They're ruining everything.

Or of course, if the distribution time is cut astronomically, the Japanese get out of their xenophoblic stranglehold of profit making and holding onto archaic business models, and the USA is offered a wider selection of titles to pursue rather than the pitiful allowance it is offered now, perhaps we wouldn't have doom and gloom.

Think about it this way: When the only options for overseas fans for an Anime Series (or any show for that matter; i'm looking at you BBC) is fansubs/torrents/whatever that isn't legit, and people are getting it in spades, doesn't that kinda ring a bell to try and make an effort to release media to the masses?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6