• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Asks for Info on Suspected Fraud by Ex-Staffer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

And if this guy does turn out to be innocent, I hope he sues their butts off.

Well considering he signed a confession I highly doubt that will be happening. As for noticing the badges.....I enjoy Otakon every year but I must say much of the staff are idiots. They have perpetual looks on unhappiness and general "I don't care" attitudes going on. Many also do not check badges properly at all. At least not from what I saw. In fact the main key element they look for is not the badge itself directly but the little shiny silver foil sticker in the corner. Those btw can be faked and ripped off very easily and then just slapped on a random badge. My friend and I commented on it at how easy it would be (we wondered if we could wear a badge from last year and get by them as a little experiment, we didn't do it though) and told a staffer at the DR line we were in and he just looked at us and walked off. So I'm not surprised there was an issue along these lines. I'm more surprised there hasn't been one before. My question why was this not noticed during the con, and if it was why are we just hearing about it now? I mean telling people now really won't accomplish much at this point.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:48 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
What this man did isn't right at all and he does deservered to be punished. Since his name is pubicly availible, he should also have this incident permenently recored in his background file and should be noted every time he appplies for a job.

That would require them to contact the police and file criminal charges. If they haven't done so, then it's not happening.

BTW: I don't want to know how you got his name pubicly. Then again, what you do in your off-time is your own business Wink

Quote:
Also, Otakon should ban him from ever going a Otakon event ever again.

Oh, I think that's already done.

I've never seen this kind of stuff at Otakon before, though I've seen a lot of weird stuff go on with them over the past 14 years (missed this year for a conference in LA... kicking myself up till the point when I realized I was in LA instead of Baltimore), so that someone might have actually given him the nod is not beyond the realm of believability for me.

I wouldn't have been the first time there was a major miscommunication amongst the folks running the convention.

/though he probably knew what he was doing was wrong
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3