• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Maria Watches Over Us Season 1 DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crilix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
It's about close friendships rather than romantic love.
That's what a lot of fans consider as true yuri, and incidentally they despise any kind of sexual character interaction.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:51 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
That's what a lot of fans consider as true yuri, and incidentally they despise any kind of sexual character interaction.

Ehhh? Is that what fans really want in their yuri, sheer subtext?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I know I would be annoyed if I bought something claiming to be yuri and then it didn't have anything sexual in it at all. Sometimes, that's what you're in the mood for. If you just want subtext, that's what I call shoujo-ai.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Most Japanese women would say the close friendships are akogare, not yuri. Most of the couples in Marimite would be yuri fodder at best. Yuri fans want actual canon couples, not just one-sided love, fan service, and subtext. Fans who insist on using "shoujo-ai" instead of yuri tend to look down on sexually explicit f/f.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Most Japanese women would say the close friendships are akogare, not yuri. Most of the couples in Marimite would be yuri fodder at best. Yuri fans want actual canon couples, not just one-sided love, fan service, and subtext. Fans who insist on using "shoujo-ai" instead of yuri tend to look down on sexually explicit f/f.

Reminds me of Kannazuki no Miko...about the only thing I liked about it was that it went "yes, we're lesbians" at the end rather than harping on suggestion.

That said, turning Marimite into the Lesbian Schoolgirl Show would really cheapen it.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

That said, turning Marimite into the Lesbian Schoolgirl Show would really cheapen it.

That's what Strawberry Panic is for.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:41 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
maaya wrote:
In fact I can't really think of any slice of life show as good as H&C (recommendations welcome Wink ). But well, you can always give it a try ^^

Beck
Aria

I think Someday's Dreamers would also count into this category...

And potentially portions of Lucky Star.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Strawberry Panic could have been a lot better if it didn't take itself so seriously and be a cliche storm. At least it doesn't beat around the bush on the girls' love aspects. Now if it only had the same character dynamics as Marimite....
seryass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:54 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Splitter wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Strawberry Panic could have been a lot better if it didn't take itself so seriously and be a cliche storm. At least it doesn't beat around the bush on the girls' love aspects. Now if it only had the same character dynamics as Marimite....

I agree wholeheartedly. The cliche storm as darkchibi07 puts it was in my opinion Strawberry Panic's biggest problem. Virtually all the popular typical stereotypes were there.

Back on topic I love Maria for the character interactions and the development. I have seen all three seasons and there is a strong development between most of the major characters (espeically not surprisingly Sachiko and Yumi) who really do start to learn about each other.
Mevious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Carl wrote:
Cannot be watched if sarcastic people—yourself included—are in the room

This applies to anything, really. Quite the defensive statement for a review.

MariMite is "To Heart" slow, though To Heart had more interesting characters.

The character interaction in MariMite is interesting, but it remains the only anime that has put me to sleep anytime I tried to watch it.

If we can get this - an anime with a focus on character interaction, maybe Right Stuf will make the leap and get Legend of the Galactic Heroes...

One can dream.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
I've transcribed and translated the interview at here. Since it contains some photos I'll leave it in the Events forum.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2