• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Durarara Arm Cushions Let Fans Rest in Anime Characters' Arms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
By your standards here, are ALL shows either targeted toward Fujoshi OR otaku? No middle ground?

Not at all. Only shows that target otaku/fujoshi are otaku/fujoshi shows. Usagi Drop, for instance doesn't target either of those two. It was more for a general audience. Likewise, I doubt there is a ton of Usagi Drop merchandise.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
By your standards here, are ALL shows either targeted toward Fujoshi OR otaku? No middle ground?

Not at all. Only shows that target otaku/fujoshi are otaku/fujoshi shows. Usagi Drop, for instance doesn't target either of those two. It was more for a general audience. Likewise, I doubt there is a ton of Usagi Drop merchandise.

ok. I see your point.

However, I don't really think that Durarara started out intending to be a fujoshi show. I think the merchandisers just followed what happened afterwards in the fandom. It's not like this stuff appeared simultaneously with the show's release. Durarara is nearly two years old now.

I think merchandising like occurs when they see a market for it to exploit. The fujoshi following surrounding this show sort of grew over time, so now we see this kind of thing.

I doubt the author of the novels (who also wrote Baccano) had any idea he was writing fujoshi material, or had visions of huggy-pillow merchandise in mind when he was writing it. Confused

Last edited by tuxedocat on Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Why would anyone willingly put themselves near Izaya?

I also have an issue with DRRR! being knee-jerkingly labeled a fujoshi show. Just because the cast has some adult males in it doesn't mean it's a fujoshi show. Considering there's a fair number of women that are pleasant on the eyes, it's a bit of a reach.

Calling it an otaku show seems much more plausible (being that it's about a BBS), but not too much so. DRRR is just a rather unusual creature, not designed to pander to any one group, but to succeed on its own narrative merits.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
There is no reason for the Izaya/Shizuo quarrels other than the set fujoshi desires ablaze. if you want to play a game, go to Pixiv and search "デュラララ!! -r-18" and go back however many pages you want and count how many females are drawn. Now if you want to compare that to the otaku show... (that also has adult male main characters) then search "Steins;Gate -r-18" and count how many female characters there are.

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
CatoriStar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Well, OK, it is a little creepy... I was expecting a pillow chair with Shizuo's arms as handles or something

Lol, I thought the same thing. However, the actual pillow was as disturbing as the one in my mind. Sad
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
There is no reason for the Izaya/Shizuo quarrels other than the set fujoshi desires ablaze. if you want to play a game, go to Pixiv and search "デュラララ!! -r-18" and go back however many pages you want and count how many females are drawn. Now if you want to compare that to the otaku show... (that also has adult male main characters) then search "Steins;Gate -r-18" and count how many female characters there are.

Sorry, but I'm still not seeing what you are trying to get at here. Durarara is listed as shonen in the Wikipedia, and no where is it listed as fujoshi, or even josei anywhere else.

Sure, Fujoshi sort of fixated on Shizuo and Izaya, but they do that with characters from lots of shonen shows.

By your measure, Naruto and Bleach would qualify as fujoshi shows. (They are also dominated by male characters. btw.)
GregorJustGregor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I just find the fact that females would want to buy something like this disturbing. If this was a product designed for men, it would still be creepy, but that's what single otaku guys do best in the confines of their homes.... creepy things that no-one should ever know about.
I realize that it may be a double standard, but when women display creepy behavior and just might surpass men in such activities, chills run down my spine.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Quote:
....decorated with male characters' upper bodies to let fans "rest in the arms of a charming man." ...

Maybe I watched a different version of Durarara than other people, but neither Shizuo or Izaya could be really described as "charming". Much less "cuddly". Confused

All of these pillow products in Japan are weird and disturbing anyway, IMO.

lol Smile , well you beat me to it. I was gonna say the same exact thing.

And I agree, while I personally don't really think it's disturbing, I do find it rather... something else.
I've never been able to wrap my head around why people like the whole pillow products thing. Or pay that kinda money for em'. But meh, maybe my imagination just isn't that big.
I've never, and honestly don't ever picture myself having one. And should, for whatever reason, someone buy me one. I find i'd probably end up hiding it in my closet.

For a number of reasons.
None of which being the whole reason why someone would most likely have one.

But whatever, I've seen weirder stuff so it doesn't really bother me much at all.
To each there own~
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, you could get both and have the characters "cuddle" each other, I guess. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Izaya imply that he was gay in one episode?
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I doubt the author of the novels (who also wrote Baccano) had any idea he was writing fujoshi material, or had visions of huggy-pillow merchandise in mind when he was writing it. Confused

The mental picture of Ryohgo Narita thinking huggy-pillow thoughts... that so made my evening. Bless you.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I think someone should pitch a new reality show to TLC "It's me or the Pillow."
InnocentSorrow59

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
I... I'm disturbed...
Not by the fact that they are being made, but rather, by the fact that I don't mind that they're being made...
I am mildly ashamed.

Also, makes me wonder why they haven't made female versions. I would've thought they'd make those first.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
LoL, this has me quite amused. I think they're more interesting than dakimakura. Doesn't mean I'll buy it though. =P Not really my thing, but they are definitely amusing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
DRRR is a fujoshi-targeted series. It's not typical that they would make girl versions for fujoshi series. Like, I'm sure there's a lot less Blue Rose merch than there is the two main male leads in Tiger & Bunny for instance.

Ummm... I don't know if I agree with that. I agree that the relationship between Shizuo and Izaya is directed at the fujoshi (heck they even poked fun of that in the show) but the whole series? Not so sure about that. Also the two main leads in Tiger and Bunny have a huge fujoshi following and there are similar items of them for sale (I seem to remember a sheet set not too long ago along similar lines).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
I love it. The pillow covers are awesome and it's nice to see that the female market is being catered to. I see nothing wrong with women buying these pillows, as I see nothing wrong with men buying these pillows or the usual body pillow fare. What people do in the comfort of their homes is their business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3