• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madhouse to Create 4 Anime with Marvel Comic Heroes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine's a lazy choice, considering they've milked his character to death by now. When they have to have him fight with bone knives from his hands, you know they've run out of ideas! Rolling Eyes Iron Man can work, but I'm wondering if they're not worried the anime could steal the show from the upcoming sequel. Wink
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
The real question is if anyone actually gets wedgies or stuffed into lockers these days.

Todays kids seem more inclined to making you feel so down and low with words and general outcasting of the social ladder that is high school. Meaning 95% ignore you except those 5% who want to get in your face.

Those 5% beat the tar out of you. Or at least thats how it went at the schools in my area.

I'm gonna have to go with the don't flaunt it don't attract trouble idea. You wear a Naruto headband in public you should be able to wear and do what you want but if someone pulls you into an alley and you try to fight them off with your ninjutsu I won't feel bad. You had it coming giving the bullies an open target.

As for the idea that studio heads flaunt their fave items well... In the (slightly altered) words of Yugioh Abirdged: "Screw the rules, they have money".

But on topic, I'm excited for this news. As for why I'm not freaking out with the reverse Japan to America thing... I'm not gonna bs it: Both parties want money. But so far at least on the things i've seen Japan doesn't F-up character stories. They don't change things to fit everyone or a "wider audience". They take the story and keep the original concepts. America seems to (in most cases) completely butcher source material.

It's alright to change some things when you're remaking something, but don't change it to the point where when I'm watching the trailer or looking at test footage I wouldn't know what the hell it was without the title at the end. That just sucks.

Sorry about the rant, this is slightly OT but
Quote:
A separate Wolverine and the X-Men animated television series is debuting today in Latin America and later in Canada and the United States.

anyone know what this is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Quote:
A separate Wolverine and the X-Men animated television series is debuting today in Latin America and later in Canada and the United States.

It's an adaptation of a storyline involving the Sentinels, I've seen an actual trailer for it and the animation and character designs are quite good, except that some of the characters have that whole burly-torso-comparatively-skinny-legs thing going on, and as is almost always the case, the women are skinnier round the waist than is healthy for any h. sapien or close enough mutant. There is also an Iron Man animation coming out, using similar tech to the French language air travel focused sci-fi fantasy Skyland.

Shigi wrote:
Does anyone other than me remember the anime intros for the old 1992 X-men cartoon? That was some nice animation. Cool

I never really watched the show, but I agree the intro is very nice.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:56 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba wrote:
Anyway, I wonder how well Gotham Knight did in sales. I'm sure that anthology could've been an inspiration for these new projects...

Yes, I do agree with you on that one. It's a good marketing scheme, when one superhero become a anime. Another company will do the same thing also.

OK, so Marvel is jumping in the anime bandwagon. I'm fine with that. I've always wanted to see superheroes going anime/manga stlye. With the upcoming Marvel-Del-rey's X-men and Wolverine OEL manga, and now this. What's next:

-Superman anime with character design by Akira Toriyama.
-Frank Miller and Shinichiro Wantanabe team up and do a Sin City anime.
-Yoshiyuki Tomino doing the anime version of The Punisher including character design.

Anyway. it's kind of cool. This is who I think should voice for the anime.

Wolverine:

Japanese: Kōichi Yamadera (voice of Spike Spiegel), Kazuya Nakai (Voice of Mugen in Samurai Champloo)
English: Steve Blum (he voice Wolverine in various Marvel video games including Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and the series Wolverine and the X-men, I think he's a great choice for voicing Wolverine in English), David Hayter (voice of Solid Snake)

Iron Man:

Japanese: Takehito Koyasu (voice of Zech Merquise, I think his voice will fit Iron Man), Hikaru Midorikawa (Heero Yuy's voice actor), Shigeru Chiba, Hiroki Tōchi (voice of Father Nightroad)
English: Crispin Freeman, Richard Epcar, Jameson Price, John Cygan (voice Iron Man in Marvel Ulitmate Alliance),
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Well, these series will have cool animation, this is I believe is a given! ^^

I found this news interesting even if I'm not a big fan of Super Heroes comics.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
toru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Would want. Like, at an unhealthy level.
Panda Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
It actually has decent art. Iron Man is one of the few likable Marvel heroes I will watch, so maybe this one might be good.
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Wow, make one small comment about how nice it is to see one more instance of a moronic stereotype that was never true to begin with going away and someone launches into an attack.

I think I have an answer to your nomdeguerre Who Is This Guy!?; this guy is a troll and a jerk.

And a complete idiot. You forgot that one.

Anyone who makes this statement: "It's definitely within context because what I said is right. " and isn't outright joking when he says it, is a complete failure at life, an ignorant douchebag, a waste of existence and a stupid fool worthy of ultimate ridicule.

But then again, his snide comment about Gotham Knight in the first place, which he couldn't bother explaining or backing up should have tipped everyone off that he's a hopeless idiot and a worthless troll.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Wolverine's a lazy choice, considering they've milked his character to death by now. When they have to have him fight with bone knives from his hands, you know they've run out of ideas! Rolling Eyes Iron Man can work, but I'm wondering if they're not worried the anime could steal the show from the upcoming sequel. Wink

The problem with Wolverine is that every damned thing they put him in SELLS -- whether it's crappy or fantastic matters far less than whether it has Wolvie on the cover. So while it is a bit lazy, it's also foolish to avoid using a proven seller. And hey, Batman's been done to death too, but 60 years later they're still able to come up with awesome and stylish stories. (You just notice the crap because of the sheer volume of it.)

I doubt they have any worries whatsoever about the Iron Man anime outshining the movie -- when any anime does half a billion dollars domestic in theatres, THEN they will "worry".

Also? I'm not saying I've seen anything yet, but I wouldn't worry.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
Quote:

It's an adaptation of a storyline involving the Sentinels, I've seen an actual trailer for it and the animation and character designs are quite good, except that some of the characters have that whole burly-torso-comparatively-skinny-legs thing going on, and as is almost always the case, the women are skinnier round the waist than is healthy for any h. sapien or close enough mutant.

I think it's going to be good. I saw the original trailer of it, and the part when the Foo Fighters music was playing was just awesome. Really looking forward to it, hopefully it'll erase the bad taste X-men 3 left me. The Wolverine movie looks pretty good as well judging by the leaked Comic-Con trailer.

Top Gun wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Would want. Like, at an unhealthy level.

Forget health, I think my brain would explode from such an awesome concept.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully they'll have actual experince directors this time, Gotham was alright but nowhere near as good as Animatrix. Not surprising considering that Animatrix had alot of experience Directors while Gotham had a bunch of rookies first time directing.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
This is a positive move that will help raise the profile of anime, the same way Gotham Knight did. I'm sure Marvel are obviously looking at Gotham Knight and saying 'I wants me some of that'.

An Ironman anime I think would be great, but Wolverine would take something special when being handled, with it being a bit more mature and all. Both will be great IMO, and will help bridge that gulf between anime/manga and american comic book fans.

I know some american comic fans have a fear of the anime and manga, but I feel this will sway them to just how awesome they can be.

Can't wait to see who'll be doing the character designs and directing. I think Yoshiaki Kawajiri would be cool for Wolverine designs, and maybe Toshihiro Kawamoto for Ironman's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Aikoh wrote:
It's great to see the bridge between American and Japanese animation and comics coming to a close. I wonder how this will affect future "definition of anime" debates. Laughing

2 reasons why I do not want to see an American influence on anime and manga:

1)The stories will never end- so long as the manga or anime continues to turn a profit, the production companies will never allow the creator to satisfactorily conclude the series.

2)No more diversity- Manga and anime stories have a rich history of taking place all over the world with a wide-ranging, diverse cast of characters. An American influence would bring stories mostly populated by white, male heroes and their loyal ethnic or woman compadres.
NightOption

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
Aikoh wrote:
It's great to see the bridge between American and Japanese animation and comics coming to a close. I wonder how this will affect future "definition of anime" debates. Laughing

1)The stories will never end- so long as the manga or anime continues to turn a profit, the production companies will never allow the creator to satisfactorily conclude the series.

Wait, you mean this doesn't already happen?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6