• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Death Note Film to Play in Canadian Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MageofFire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
so is this english subbed or dubbed?
Tenchi Kaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Awesome! We usually get shafted when a non-Miyazaki anime or anime-related movie plays in theatres in the States, so that's good to hear.
kibou_no_seigi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, it took them long enough lol
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Yay! They remembered us Razz
I'll definitely try and see this.
Ninja Maid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tickets will be sold by themselves, or bundled with the movie's DVD for C$29.99. The DVD goes on sale in North America on August 29, and copies will be also available for sale at each theater location after the screening.

I'm kinda confused here? Why would someone want to go watch the movie in theaters if they already have the DVD? And even more confusing is that the DVDs will be on sale after the movie? Then what will they need the tickets for??

I'm very confused @-@
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Ninja Maid wrote:
Quote:
Tickets will be sold by themselves, or bundled with the movie's DVD for C$29.99. The DVD goes on sale in North America on August 29, and copies will be also available for sale at each theater location after the screening.

I'm kinda confused here? Why would someone want to go watch the movie in theaters if they already have the DVD? And even more confusing is that the DVDs will be on sale after the movie? Then what will they need the tickets for??

The DVD/ticket bundle goes on sale on August 29, but the DVD by itself won't be available to the general public until September 16. Think of the DVD/ticket bundle as a way to buy the DVD almost three weeks before everyone else can — with a bonus theater screening for kicks.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know there was a thread on this already...

x.x Oh, they meant the first, I thought it was the 2nd movie...
Satoko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
wai im so happy! i really want to see that since i didn't watch it yet and i haven't even watch the anime. i wonder will it be subbed??
DeliciouslySexy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Where's Saskatchewan? When I tried to check for tickets, Viz seems to have completely skipped my province! Evil or Very Mad

I guess we're not worthy of a single showing here. To think I was actually considering buying this DVD - I guess Viz doesn't think Saskatchewan residents are worth their movie. If they don't want our money that badly, then I'm not buying the DVD.

At least Canadian Idol smartened up after arbitrarily bypassing us after season one. Seems to be a trend - hopefully Viz will get a clue and give us a showing of Death Note 2. Feh - in the end I'm not surprised. SK seems to get bypassed a lot... and after I was watching for tickets to come on sale, too. Crying or Very sad
Chicken008

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
DeliciouslySexy wrote:
Where's Saskatchewan? When I tried to check for tickets, Viz seems to have completely skipped my province! Evil or Very Mad
Right under "Tickets go on sale August 29th!" is a link for Saskatchewan/Quebec residents.
Agoston

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Ninja Maid wrote:
Quote:

The DVD/ticket bundle goes on sale on August 29, but the DVD by itself won't be available to the general public until September 16. Think of the DVD/ticket bundle as a way to buy the DVD almost three weeks before everyone else can — with a bonus theater screening for kicks.
I think he (or she) is talking about the "for kicks" part, you could replace "for kicks" with "completely useless" and it would mean the same thing. They should bundle it with the anime DVD's instead, that would at least make some sense since the tickets would actually be to something you haven't seen yet but is still related to what you're buying.
FWNW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
double post--- sorry.

Last edited by FWNW on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
FWNW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ugh, this was absolutely terrible. I am a HUGE fan of the manga and anime, but this live action film was just complete rubbish (and I saw it subbed). There are too many changes made to the plot and even characters to compare it to the manga and anime. Its a whole other entitity on its own, that I'd prefer we just forget ever happened. Not only did it stray from the original material beyond repair, but it was also utterly boring. I had to watch it in 20 minute stints, hoping that each time I went back to watch, it would redeem itself. Well, I got to the final scene (another of the many poorly executed ones)... and it just...didn't! L was too distracting, they tried to fit in all of his wacky habits that it came off as forced. How many times did they pull that cheesy low angle shot of Light looking onward in accomplishment. Geez. And the cinematography was just ugly. Set design, ugly. Camera movement, CGI, UGLY! Ryuk looked like he came straight out of a video game. The color palette was disgusting. All these oranges and browns, warm colors, when the anime gave off a blue/green, more cold tone, that added more to the thematic morbidity, as well as the suspense of the series. There obviously was no artistic backing on this project, the only reason for its existance was to cash in on the popularity of the franchise. Maybe too many people are giving it way too much credit than it deserves, because currently its all they are being offered. But seriously, they could have done MUCH better. The film was just plain BAD... to the point where it almost tainted my view on the source material. I'm not trying to dis Death Note or anything, i'm only being this vocal because I am an avid fan of the original manga and anime. I just wish I hadnt seen it. But who knows, others who haven't experienced the manga or anime may indeed enjoy it. But its very sad to say that they are missing out!

Save your money, watch the anime! And if you already have, protect your love for it by avoiding this disaster of a "film" [sic].
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:57 am Reply with quote
I saw the poster for this today at my local Cineplex (I was seeing Hamlet 2...Jesus was quite sexy Wink), and I was worried about whether or not there would be tickets left if I bought them on the day of the event...now I know when to buy mine!! Thanks ANN!

Canada usually gets left out of special things like this, so I'm happy we get something like this!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2