• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Lion' is 4th Macross Frontier CD Single in Top 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:
mike_s_6 wrote:

I'm not sure if the Slayers one was reported or not, but I suppose that if it made it to the top 3 in the weekly (as opposed to just daily) rankings, then to be fair, ANN should have reported it.

To date, these are the Macross F CDs, their highest weekly rank, and whether they were reported or not:

Triangler: Rank 3 - Reported
Diamond Crevasse: Rank 3 - Reported
OST 1 (Nyan Fro.): Rank 3 - Reported
Seikan Hikou: Rank 5 - Not reported
Lion: Rank 3 - Reported

So as you could see, it's consistent that if the CD gets within top 3 in their weekly ranking, then its gets a report in ANN.

Most definitely not.

Okay, before anyone further comments on my post, I repeat:

myself wrote:

... but I suppose that if it made it to the top 3 in the weekly (as opposed to just daily) rankings, then to be fair, ANN should have reported it.

When I said that it's consistent that "if the CD gets within top 3 in their weekly ranking, then it gets a report in ANN", I was referring only to the Macross F list. Besides, I was only trying to point out what ANN's (apparent) standard is.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:50 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Actually, JA wikipedia says it only hit #5.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/STARCAMP_EP

But yeah, Eternal Blaze and Secret Ambition should have been reported, although, like you said, one is three years old and the other over a year old.

Yeah my mistake, I must've got it mixed up with her latest album ranking.

But either way, you can find reports of Haruhi singles being in Oricon #5 etc in the news archive - and those singles definitely came before StrikerS, so the standards of reporting is, well, not exactly clear and uniform. Except maybe whichever show's name is catchier/louder, as I've suggested......

mike_s_6 wrote:

When I said that it's consistent that "if the CD gets within top 3 in their weekly ranking, then it gets a report in ANN", I was referring only to the Macross F list. Besides, I was only trying to point out what ANN's (apparent) standard is.

And I've said and pointed out by example that the apparent "standard" is that it's ANN just picking out Macross (or Haruhi as well) is probably because the title "Macross" is much louder and makes for a better headline and not so much to do with the actual ranking/singer. *shrug*
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:50 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:

And I've said and pointed out by example that the apparent "standard" is that it's ANN just picking out Macross (or Haruhi as well) is probably because the title "Macross" is much louder and makes for a better headline and not so much to do with the actual ranking/singer. *shrug*

I wonder if there's an ANN representative reading the boards? It seems to me that there is no one from them monitoring Oricon directly, though I don't really blame them. They are a company, which means they reserve the rights on what to publish or not, with a priority perhaps on what attracts website views. I'm not going to be a judge on the ethics of this, besides, this thread is about the success of the Macross F CDs, and not how ANN chooses their headlines.

I'm glad some people pointed out the news about Ponyo and the others, because otherwise, I wouldn't have heard of these either. But that's not to dampen the spirit of Macross F's or Haruhi's successes (I heard that Haruhi stayed in the top 100 for the whole year, and the Macross F OST 1 reached top 3 after 11 years of not having any other anime album reach that spot), just because ANN chooses what they want to publish.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:43 am Reply with quote
mike_s_6 wrote:
houkoholic wrote:

I wonder if there's an ANN representative reading the boards? It seems to me that there is no one from them monitoring Oricon directly, though I don't really blame them. They are a company, which means they reserve the rights on what to publish or not, with a priority perhaps on what attracts website views. I'm not going to be a judge on the ethics of this, besides, this thread is about the success of the Macross F CDs, and not how ANN chooses their headlines.

I'm glad some people pointed out the news about Ponyo and the others, because otherwise, I wouldn't have heard of these either. But that's not to dampen the spirit of Macross F's or Haruhi's successes (I heard that Haruhi stayed in the top 100 for the whole year, and the Macross F OST 1 reached top 3 after 11 years of not having any other anime album reach that spot), just because ANN chooses what they want to publish.
Are you implying that ANN somehow has either hindered, or helped a sound track's ranking on the chart, by simply whether it decides to publish a report about it, or not?
mike_s_6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Are you implying that ANN somehow has either hindered, or helped a sound track's ranking on the chart, by simply whether it decides to publish a report about it, or not?

No, I'm not implying that. (It sounds ridiculous, and completely off of what I posted.) I only said that ANN chooses what they publish, with a criteria that we don't know, and is most likely affected by the popularity of the anime itself.

What you might have misunderstood was the second paragraph. I meant, if the intention of the people who are posting the "other CD singles that sold well and haven't been reported" is to dampen the success of Haruhi or Macross F by saying, "Haruhi and Macross F aren't really special, look there are other CD singles that made it to the top", then it's not fair to Haruhi and Macross F either. Just because ANN decides to publish about these two and ignore some others should not affect how we view their successes.

I hope that's clearer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2