Forum - View topic
NEWS: Murakami's Video for Kanye West Song is iTunes #1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jih2



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 403
Location: East coast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Now if only the fans would stop giving Mr. West ALL the credit for the video...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spiderkid



Joined: 21 Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Location: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh, I love this video. Murakami's great, so is Studio 4C, so is Kanye. Great collab.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ultenth



Joined: 02 Oct 2007
Posts: 229
Location: Washington State

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Jih2 wrote:
Now if only the fans would stop giving Mr. West ALL the credit for the video...


Heh, how is that different from any other music video? The musician always gets all the credit, rarely can anyone ever mention who directed or wrote etc. a music video.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2



Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Posts: 403
Location: East coast

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:


Heh, how is that different from any other music video? The musician always gets all the credit, rarely can anyone ever mention who directed or wrote etc. a music video.


True, I guess I'm just tired of the kids at my high school telling anyone with ears how legendary his "unique" vision is when he goes back and does a rap version of a song everyone's forgotten, draws inspiration from a fairly popular film (by anime standards) for the music video and works closely with an already established Japanese artist. I'm putting too much into this but yes, you're right.

To be positive: this may lead some people to experience some anime for the first time which is pretty awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
...Still, these are two things that should never mix:

Rap and Anime.

EXCEPT FOR TWO LONE FACTORS:

-The Boondocks
and
-Samurai Champloo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 1834

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know how anyone can stand Kayne as a person (or his music, for that matter, but that's another story), but at least the video looks kind of cool.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daimao Raki



Joined: 03 Jul 2008
Posts: 587
Location: Dark Side of the Moon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...Still, these are two things that should never mix:

Rap and Anime.

EXCEPT FOR TWO LONE FACTORS:

-The Boondocks
and
-Samurai Champloo
Hmmm, I'd still like to see Nujabes do some more work on other anime projects.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
britannicamoore



Joined: 05 Dec 2005
Posts: 2616
Location: Out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I loved this song on the album. The video was awesome too. I wonder if there are plushies of the bear, he's so cute. Even though he looks crazy most of the time, but I guess if I spoiler[woke up late for my graduation and got swallowed by a cloud i'd look crazy too]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chicken008



Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 16
Location: Ontario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...Still, these are two things that should never mix:

Rap and Anime.
Ro Ro Fight the Power!!! Watch Gurren Lagann now!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
kaizen-dono



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 383
Location: NE England

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
...Still, these are two things that should never mix:Rap and Anime.
EXCEPT FOR TWO LONE FACTORS:
-The Boondocks
and
-Samurai Champloo

why is that exactly? hip hop is just another form of music one that could easily fit into a lot genres of anime if done well. but then I'm bias being a hip hop fan. there are worse alternatives Gabba for one!

OT tho seriously how much money was spent on this? it looks really cheap! a pretty lame peice of animation if you ask me (suits the song I suppose)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
kaizen-dono wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
...Still, these are two things that should never mix:Rap and Anime.
EXCEPT FOR TWO LONE FACTORS:
-The Boondocks
and
-Samurai Champloo

why is that exactly? hip hop is just another form of music one that could easily fit into a lot genres of anime if done well. but then I'm bias being a hip hop fan. there are worse alternatives Gabba for one!

OT tho seriously how much money was spent on this? it looks really cheap! a pretty lame peice of animation if you ask me (suits the song I suppose)


As long as we're talking the grooving beat of hip hop.

When I say rap, I mean that really vulgar stuff. I'm saying let's never let it see go BEYOND this kind of music. Let's not see anime implemented into some extremely vulgar rap song.

And yes, seeing some new songs by Nujabes would be good.

@Chicken: ROW ROW, FIGHT DA POWA! Yes yes, I know, I've seen it, it was one brief moment. I think Gurren Lagann is better known for the epic guitar music though, intro and insert songs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArielTsuki



Joined: 19 Jul 2006
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
kaizen-dono wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
...Still, these are two things that should never mix:Rap and Anime.
EXCEPT FOR TWO LONE FACTORS:
-The Boondocks
and
-Samurai Champloo

why is that exactly? hip hop is just another form of music one that could easily fit into a lot genres of anime if done well. but then I'm bias being a hip hop fan. there are worse alternatives Gabba for one!

OT tho seriously how much money was spent on this? it looks really cheap! a pretty lame peice of animation if you ask me (suits the song I suppose)


As long as we're talking the grooving beat of hip hop.

When I say rap, I mean that really vulgar stuff. I'm saying let's never let it see go BEYOND this kind of music. Let's not see anime implemented into some extremely vulgar rap song.

And yes, seeing some new songs by Nujabes would be good.

@Chicken: ROW ROW, FIGHT DA POWA! Yes yes, I know, I've seen it, it was one brief moment. I think Gurren Lagann is better known for the epic guitar music though, intro and insert songs.


It's not like anime is this pure thing, I mean Britney Spears made an anime video, you can't get any worse than that.

As long as it used creatively, like this video, it's all fine with me.

I actually saw this video when I visited the Murakami exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum in New York City back in mid-July. The funny part I thought it was already released already. LOL. But kaizen-dono, it's far from low budget when you see it on the screen. It's pretty damn detailed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roy9076



Joined: 06 Jan 2006
Posts: 286
Location: California

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:24 am Reply with quote
I like this music video. I also like the song. So works out. Wait, this reminds me, didn't Snoop Dog or some other rappers were in a project with Madhouse for making a video? Been a while since there was news about such a thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zin5ki



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3481
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The hip hop artist Kanye West has announced on his blog that the "Good Morning" music video directed by artist/animator Takashi Murakami has reached #1 on Apple's iTunes music video chart in the United States.

In other words, a rapper remains popular thanks in part to the efforts of others.
Nothing to be surprised about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fokkusuhaundo



Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 346
Location: San Diego ♥ ☼ ▓

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:33 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Quote:
The hip hop artist Kanye West has announced on his blog that the "Good Morning" music video directed by artist/animator Takashi Murakami has reached #1 on Apple's iTunes music video chart in the United States.

In other words, a rapper remains popular thanks in part to the efforts of others.
Nothing to be surprised about.

I wouldn't say that. He doesn't need Murakami and an animation studio to make his video to remain popular. I think his big ego does that for him, and we can't forget the "George Bush doesn't care about black people" fiasco. And let's face it, when compared to most other rappers in the mainstream today Kanye West doesn't really have to try hard to win Grammys.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group