• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hetalia Axis Powers: Paint it, White Limited Edition DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:57 am Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to catch the premiere of this movie at AWA and it was fabulous! This movie was funny as hell to me, I didn't think it ever got stale... And I loved those those bloopers! They were hilarious, I can't remember the last time I've laughed that hard. Laughing
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'll never get why ANN advocates the dub so much for this series in their reviews. It's an obnoxious and terribly unfunny dub, and it really, really doesn't capture the original spirit of the series at all. It's far more mean-spirited, for example (also, the characters are insanely OOC and none remain likable outside minor ones). One of the reasons I like Hetalia is because it's light and gentle, but Funi turns it into a typical 'edgy' comedy.

I've always been a big supporter of Funimation, but I dislike their Hetalia dub so much that I'm selling the boxsets I do have because I don't even really want to own them, even with the sub option.

The movie is something only a really hardcore fan would probably enjoy though, I definitely think. Also the recycled clips from the series are silly. They actually removed those from the Japanese dvd release of the film since they were received so poorly, so I'm surprised they didn't do that here.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:57 am Reply with quote
I like Hetalia. I really do. For a number of reasons.

I like the sub, but I actually like the dub alot more.
I mean, to me, to dub is actually rather funny at times. And alot more entertaining.

But the movie Anime cry ....

I'm sorry, but to me it was just awful. I'd seen alot of fans praising the hell outta it... but after watching it, I got the feeling they were just saying it was good... For the sake of the fandom.
(Which I love btw, really!)
I'd seen it first subbed. And thought it was rather boring and hard to watch. Awkward and well... I wasn't buying the story either.
Watching it dubbed imo, was alot better. It was alot more amusing... but it still didn't save the movie for me. To me, the movie still rather sucked. Alot.

I guess its just one of those things you'll either really like, or really loathe. I won't buy it. (I'll save my money for the S3 WS DVD) And personally I don't think it worth the money to buy anyways... atleast not that amount.

But hey, what ever floats you'r boat~
If anyone did enjoy it, by all means buy it. I think it might even be on sale on right now Right Stuf, though i'm not entirely sure...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1