• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds: Crisis on Infinite Podcasts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
The ANN holiday special sounds promising. Will it feature Bea Arthur?

Corpses make a dandy visual gag, but a podcast is all audio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac I had to ask this, why my question hasn't been answer yet
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:34 pm Reply with quote
re: limited editions
I'm so hyped for Madoka Magica that I have bought more than one copy (of the LE). The second isn't for me; I made a bet with someone on another forum that if they could stop complaining about Aniplex until the show comes out I'd give it to them. In order to ensure that I have a copy, I've already put in the pre-order for it, so even if they lose the bet, I'm going to give it away to someone else.

On Magical Girls:
Shugo Chara is a modern magical girl show that is intended for girls rather than otaku. It seems to still be pretty popular for CrunchyRoll. It ran for 3 seasons. Or 2 and a half, since half of the third was live-action variety show padding. It's pretty good, too. Even the filler episodes in the first season are right at the same level of quality. The subsequent seasons diminish in quality a tiny bit, as they overtook the source manga, but that ended up having a pretty rushed ending anyway.

The question from corkboy at just before 138 gets cut off a bit. Zac summarizes, but there's still some information missing.

errinundra wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:
Pretear is a reverse harem. Sorry, Mike. Wink ...

If you listen carefully Mike actually refers to Pretty Cure. The others mishear him thinking he is talking about Pretear, he tries to correct them and then seems to get confused about the title of the show he is thinking about. As far as I can tell, Pretty Cure is a magical girl show.

No he doesn't. He describes it as like Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but with bishonen instead of dwarves. That's Pretear.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
re: limited editions
I'm so hyped for Madoka Magica that I have bought more than one copy (of the LE). The second isn't for me; I made a bet with someone on another forum that if they could stop complaining about Aniplex until the show comes out I'd give it to them.
What the hell made you think that was a good idea? Neutral
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
There was an example of cultural dissonance in the tweet questions. Someone asked whether the panel members preferred cake or pie. Pies as a dessert is a very American thing. Sure, here in Oz, we have sweet pies but at least 90% of pies are savoury. Fruit pastries are more often things like Danishes or tarts. To an Australian the question was a bit like, "What do you prefer: pasta or ice cream?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:06 pm Reply with quote
That "Geneon Entertainment Memorial Theater" bit was pretty funny.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san is definitely a comedy where all of the characters are jerks. It's pretty vulgar and crazy while being more funny than many other comedy anime.
Ted_the_bear2001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Happy 100 Episodes!!

About Giant Gorg, I remember someone at an Anime Con showed an episode of A Giant Gorg parody and in the credits stated that the anime was licensed by Bandai Entertainment. Someone in the crowd shouted out and said that wasn't true. That confused all of us into wondering if the anime did get licensed or it was just a hoax. It was helpful hearing Mike talking about the Giant Gorg licensing issues.

It was great hearing this podcast all the way from the beginning. Can't wait to hear more.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on the 100th ep! It's hilarious how nerdy you all are, but it makes for a pretty entertaining podcast.

I'm happy about all the love that Chihayafuru is getting online. I generally don't follow simulcasts, but after hearing about it on twitter, I started watching and am now tuning in every week. Unfortunately, I've also heard that it pretty much has no chance of getting licensed D:
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I should just point out is this review of Steamboy

animenewsnetwork.com/review/steamboy

Perfect example of how tastes can change over time, which was one of the topics of the podcast. Smile

Personally, I don't think Steamboy is that bad, but that's just my personal opinion.

This was a good podcast. It was long, but it was both interesting and informative. Both Mike and Daryl were excellent guests.

I'm definitely one of those "different kind of nerds." Firstly, because I'm a woman (LOL!). Secondly, I'm also not really big into comic books. I enjoy manga, but I really don't go out of my way to read comic books that much.

My husband and I saw the first English dubbed episode of Baka and Test on the FUNimation area in Comcast's ON DEMAND about a couple of months ago. Personally, my husband and I weren't that impressed. By the end, we felt we were having to use our "suspension of disbelief" a little too much.

I listened to this podcast late last night; I didn't get to bed until almost midnight. Razz I was hoping a breakdown would have been posted by now to refresh my memory as to what was talked about in order to contribute more opinion and feedback. Unfortunately, I just checked and saw that the breakdown hasn't been put up yet. Oh well. If I remember anything else, I can always post later.

EDITED TO ADD: Oh yes, just remembered the discussion about Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers. I definitely agree with the assertion that Voyager won't be in any hurry to get the rights to and release any of the new animation or the live-action film. I was also surprised to hear that Zac had never seen this property until he saw the live-action film.

I'd love to see a Blu-ray release of the original Japanese versions of all three seasons of the Star Blazers episodes; my husband and I would buy something like that without hesitation. However, I know that Voyager would never try to issue something like this, and that makes me sad. Sad Star Blazers is the first anime I truly have a memory of seeing back in the early 1980s, so it holds a very dear place in my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I should just point out is this review of Steamboy

animenewsnetwork.com/review/steamboy

Perfect example of how tastes can change over time, which was one of the topics of the podcast. Smile

Personally, I don't think Steamboy is that bad, but that's just my personal opinion.

I just find it funny that Zac would change his mind that drastically in 7 years when he first saw it in his mid 20's. Personally I found Steamboy to be better than Akira, it had a great steampunk style, fantastic animation, well rounded characters but in a much more comprehensible tale and an ending that wasn't just "oh crap I ran out of time, oh well we can just stop here"
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I am still confused about how Stigmata's Quaser has never been licensed considering you can just slap on (From the creator of My-Hime)

Because life is unfair.

Or maybe because of lolicon stuff, that seems to be a hot button in the US.

On the subject of magical girl.. there's quite a lot actually. Yeah, stuff like Nanoha is more otaku-focused. But you have Pretty Rhythm Aurora Dream, Jewelpet, Pretty Cure.. there's quite a lot for kids and they do pretty well.
Etrien

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote
I really have trouble understanding why people seem to be having difficulty with Fate/Zero. Sure, I saw Fate/Stay Night a few years ago (which fell solidly into my "it was okay" category), but I hardly remember it now. And the few things I remember have had little to no relevance in Zero so far. I haven't found the show difficult to follow in the least, and I'm reasonably confident I would have felt the same even if I hadn't seen F/SN.

So far, it's reintroduced pretty much any concept anyone brand new to Fate would need to know. Sure, they might throw a new phrase or name out randomly, but just wait a bit and they eventually explain it. It does have particularly large cast it's shuffling through (which reminds me more of a modern American drama than a typical anime), which I guess could add to some peoples' confusion.

But I really just don't think it's all that difficult for a newcomer. :/

errinundra wrote:
There was an example of cultural dissonance in the tweet questions. Someone asked whether the panel members preferred cake or pie. Pies as a dessert is a very American thing. Sure, here in Oz, we have sweet pies but at least 90% of pies are savoury. Fruit pastries are more often things like Danishes or tarts. To an Australian the question was a bit like, "What do you prefer: pasta or ice cream?"

Tarts and American Pies are pretty much the same thing.
Which sounds quite delicious right about now.

Though, given the choice, I, too, am a cake man.

(Oh, and for the record: pasta.)
Kimani

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Since Zac feels he's too good to post a breakdown... j/k What was the Shoujo series that Mike brought up in earlier part of the show?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I have yet to listen to the 100th cast but congrats guys. I find most of these to be very enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5