• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where do you buy manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Where does everyone find the best prices for manga?
gnollman

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I generally get mine from Amazon.com Japan. I've also gotten them from Planet Anime and Anime Gamers.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:40 am Reply with quote
Amazon.com and occasionally from Viz.com

Otherwise, I just stroll out to the nearest Suncoast. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This one's more regional, but Hastings has 10% right off the bat, so if you have one near you, that's all the better. If you have a Triple AAA card, that can score you even more off. I've even been lucky enough to have them do a 30% off sale and pick up three Tokyo pop manga for about $18.

Always a plus when that happens. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Godaistudios wrote:
This one's more regional, but Hastings...

Must not be too regional; We have Hastings stores here in Kentucky as well...
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I hadn't realized the expansions it's had over the last ten years. Well, I just remember it being a smaller chain seven years ago, and I really hadn't thought about how much growth it has had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I live in Florida, never heard of Hastings.

I usually shop for my manga at Walden Books/Barnes & Noble. They sell at the cover price, but since I'm a member of their frequent shopers club thing, I get a percentage off my perchases. If you're a bookworm, it's a good thing to have.
radicaledward

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:55 am Reply with quote
It depends on where and when I get it - normally I get it online and as such these are the places that I frequent:
- http://www.amazon.com
- http://www.bn.com
- http://www.overstock.com (They may or may not have what you are looking for at any given time, but when they do they have good deals)
- http://www.rightstuf.com

As for brick & mortar stores:
- Barnes & Nobles
- Borders
- Hero's & Fantasies (Local gamers store)
Shorty22

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:31 am Reply with quote
Well, I buy manga from Amazon, which several people have already mentioned. I also pick it up from Suncoast with my little replay card. Both keep it at list price, but it's 'tax-free' from Amazon or I can save up for coupons at Suncoast/occasionally find deals, just as 'buy one, get 2nd half off'. Basically, whatever I can't find at Suncoast (which seems to be increasing... Confused ), I go to Amazon for them.
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:25 pm Reply with quote
I like www.animecastle.com

As for real store stores, Suncoast, Waldenbooks, B&N, and Borders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spewmuffin

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Online, I typically go to rightstuf.com but most of the time I just wait for a sale...

At local stores, I get the urge to hit the malls once every month or two and I just go to whatever store's closest. Usually it's either Virgin Megastore, Suncoast, Sam Goody's, or Fry's Electronics. As for brick & mortar stores, I buy stuff about 1/3 to 1/2 of the times that I visit.

--
SpewMuffin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Just another thought... if titles aren't available at your local stores and you like getting good prices online, you can also check out Animeten. They have a decent selection, and the prices start at 7.99 for the Tokyopop manga and the rest of their stuff looks to be discounted around the same at about 20%. Nothing to sneeze at if you think about it. Smile
darkhunter

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:03 am Reply with quote
If you're buying anything over 15 dollar, use amazon. You'll save 30% off plus spend 25 dollar and get Free shipping! Great for people who like expensive Dark Horse title. Trigun vol 1 for only 10 buck! No tax!. Not worth it if you're getting tokyopop item, since they'll still be 10 buck.

My best choice is www.justmanga.com. Beside Amazon, they have one of the largest domestic selection of manga. All of thier title are discounted, from 9%-30%. $10-retailed manga are around 8 dollar. 8 dollar title are around 7 dollar. Also spend 40 dollar and get Free Shipping. I get like 6 or 7 books at a time. They also sell anime dvd (no bootlegs) and cool japanese toy/stuff. Thier layout is great and easy to navigate with plenty of information.

Other places will charge you from 5-10 dollar for shipping. Booo!

Most of the time, I hit up ebay and bid on whatever manga I can for a lower price. It's a great way to try new manga and save money. I've try a lot of title like Rave, SGT Frog for 10 buck shipped. I'm hoping to get Ragnarok set & Flame of Recca set for around 4-5 buck per volume, since I will never pay full price for them unless I really like them. Just be wary of the shipping and factor it in to the overall cost.

I sometimes hit up my comic shop if I want something right away. The bad part is paying full price plus tax.

Anybody know any other places that has great price, cheap or free shipping.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri May 21, 2004 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I stumbled across AllDirect.com the other day. Their prices are pretty low, but shipping just about evens them out. Nice selection, too. It IS kind of weird searching by ISBN numbers, though. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Dale's Planet Comic has a great deal on Hellsing Vol 1 & Vol. 2 for 8 buck (5 buck shipping) (retail 13 each). Only 1 Left, there was 3, I bought one set. Great deal, especially for 4 dollar each.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2