• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL....weird?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roboticservo

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who is totaly confused by FLCL?
Not only am i confused by the plot line but I don't like how they jump from the more mature looking artwork to the childish style during the story, anyone agree?

Matt
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote
Having trouble trying to figure out Furi Kuri? If this is your first time watching it, then you hould be. I was baffled at first watching. Alos, the artwork is generally consistant unless they change to parody Gundam, or express something.

But hey, some people like FLCL and some people just dont. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I love Furi Kuri/Fooly Cooly/FLCL. The plot wasn't too difficult for me to follow. But I've only seen the whole thing through once (on DVD,) so maybe my memory is a little off.

The artwork and animation are stellar (being an OAV after all,) and the music is among one of my favorite soundtacks.

However, I think what turned a few people away from this series was the zany mix of comedy and parody while trying to tell (what I thought) was a pretty followable story.

As Jinchuu-san said, you'll either like it or hate it, no in-betweens about it. It just depends on your taste of anime.

And as you can tell, I like it. Wink
rage-demon

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:13 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw FLCL I thought it was very weird... funny as hell, but weird. And thus it immediately became one of my favorites. Anime smile The first time I watched it I was left confused a few times, but when I watched it the second... and third time, I saw several things that I didn't catch the first time. Some how I allowed myself to miss all of the foreshadowing that was going on the first time.
nervheadquarters

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quote
I also have to say i have the same problem. It is the wierdest show i have ever seen.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Guess this what happens when you lock some animators ina room and starve them, unless they produce something like Fooly Cooly....um, Furi Kuri......um, ah **** it, FLCL.

Desperation I tells ya!!
téknolàized

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:53 am Reply with quote
It's calculated madness, and I like it. Very Happy
Directing, animation, music, voice actors/actresses, everything is top notch here. The main story is totally way out there and of course a parody on a good deal of common anime clichés.

As Tony K. said, it depends on your taste. I was glad to see something so fresh, playful and varied.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Indeed téknolàized, I think one of the reasons Furi Kuri/FLCL/Fooly Kooly did so well was that while it didn't totally bring something new to the table, it gave us something fresh and new which is something in my opinion, anime could certainly use among other things.

I mean, what other anime have you seen in the past 2 or 3 years that gave you what FLCL/Furi Kuri/Fooly Kooly gave you in such a wonderfully mixed bag of candy goodness?

As I already stated, some people just got it and others didn't. I did and It certainly made a fan out of me! Cool

If your really confused, I suggest watching it in Japanese. It makes a bit more sense reading the subtitles rather then the small yet never the less crucial changes to the speech done in English.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
animeman51

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FLCL....weird?

Pope....catholic?
polyh3dron

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:31 am Reply with quote
I for one LOVED FLCL, I feel sorry for whoever didn't "get" it. I mean yea it was weird but that's exactly what makes it great. Some things in it just aren't supposed to make sense, you just need to take it in as a whole and not the sum of its parts.
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:41 am Reply with quote
something about FLCL just didn't click with me. Not that I didn't understand it, I just didn't like it.
Neo_Kitti

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I liked Furi Kuri, one because, It's just so insanely weird, (and this is coming from a legally insane person. hahaha) I agree with polyh3dron, I dont think it's supposed to make sense. But I acctually went over it multiple times and acctually found a hidden decent meaning in the whole show. I would have done better to watch the show in insanity. *curses her over analytic mind* Well thats in my opinion of course. None the less its was awesome. I acctually bought the Rickenbacker Bass Guitar that Haruko has, for the heck of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animefan16

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I thought I would understand it better by buying the manga but I still don't get some of it.
Depression

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:14 pm Reply with quote
FCLC is weird but that is what makes it so great. It is something different than other anime. Also each time you watch it is like watching it all over again because there is so many thing that you miss.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quote
there are somethings in life and in anime that just aren't meant to be understood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3