• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL....weird?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xberserkx

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I loved FLCL mainly because it was so wacky and funny, thats what makes it so great. At first by watching one episode it didn't seem like there was a story but it actually has a pretty good one
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
graywolf

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 8:52 pm Reply with quote
i may be weird but it bade perfect sence to me. but i guess you would have to have a dreamy out look on life. i mean who would want the wrinkels of this world ironed out, if every thing flowed so smothly everything would be so... well ... boaring.
i thnk it show us that its the rough spots in life and how we choose to face them that that makes life what it is.

and if you find that boaring i guess you could join the marins, that should be exciting Very Happy if you want, you could ask me any thing about it and i will try to give an answer that seems some what coherent. hee hee hee Laughing even if its totaly wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ghenn

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I have a couple qeustions:)

Why is it that Naota's head was the only one that Haruko could use to pull that stuff out of his head?

Also, why did Haruko want that stuff to come out of Naota's head? I know that she spoiler[wanted to free Atomsk], but everytime something came out of Naota's head, she (or canti) would take it out, Usually causing the destruction of the machine that come out of Naota's head (untill episode 5). So was Haruko just waiting for the right thing to come out of his head so that she could spoiler[ activate Medical Mechanica and get Atomsk?]

Thanks for your time:)
(PS: Yes, I am really that slow, incase anyone is wondering:p)
(Edit: Is this the right way to use the spoiler tag? Or did I over use it?^^;; )[/spoiler]

Last edited by Ghenn on Wed May 19, 2004 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Ghenn wrote:

(spoilers or two comming up)

for spoilers you really should use the spoiler tag which will black out the spoilers so anyone who doesn't want to read them doesn't have anything "spoiled" for them
Ghenn

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
Ghenn wrote:

(spoilers or two comming up)

for spoilers you really should use the spoiler tag which will black out the spoilers so anyone who doesn't want to read them doesn't have anything "spoiled" for them

::Looks at the Tags bar::

Ya...I should:) Sorry about that:)
Iscariot

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why is it that Naota's head was the only one that Haruko could use to pull that stuff out of his head?

spoiler[He isn't the only one there is one other which is Amarao the commander with the eyebrows. Which leads to the reason why he wears the eyebrows which is because they make it so nothing can come through his head. ]

Quote:
Also, why did Haruko want that stuff to come out of Naota's head?
spoiler[She was trying to merge with Atomsk to steal his abilities, she wasn't trying to free him. ]
super cherry bomb

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hey, don't worry. Yes, FLCL is not your average anime, but that is probably why it's so popular. Because it's so weird. I think the plotline is a little confusing but have you seen Metropolis? The animation mood-swings can be awkward but it's not impossible to get used to them. Overall, watch it a few more times. It'll grow on you.
Ghenn

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies:) Now I have more love for FLCL:)
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 6:16 am Reply with quote
Okay, got a question:

Tonights episode, where it goes into a South Park-Esque animation, did Trey Parker and Matt Stone do that sequence, or is there a program that does that sort of animation, or was it done as an homage?
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:28 am Reply with quote
I guess they wanted to parody South Park since South park has parodied anime before.
Anime-Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I saw it, but did not find it that funny(maybe watching it with someone else make it more funnier to me, but don't know really Confused )

Something about the other crazy animes like Excel Saga and Abenobashi makes me like it alot, like an addiction.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Okay, got a question:

Tonights episode, where it goes into a South Park-Esque animation, did Trey Parker and Matt Stone do that sequence, or is there a program that does that sort of animation, or was it done as an homage?

It was done as a homage to South park. If you notice, there are at least 3 references to South Park in FLCL. The first is in episode 3 when the teacher's car gets smashed you see a small figurine of Kenny fly through the air. The next one is the one you were asking about where the guy with the eyebrows is getting his hair cut. The third is also in episode 5. It's the part where Naota has his hood over his face and has a muffled voice just like Kenny.

As for the question if Trey Parker or Matt Stone had a hand in this... no. While South Park has a unique look to it, it's not too hard to recreate. After all, it's just made with little bits of construction paper (or at least it once was, i'm sure they use computers to do it now).
acidburn_d

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I really love FLCL - first time I saw it didn't understand many many things but as you watch it again you see some things you didn't notice be4 - its funny, crazy and full of joy Very Happy
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Iscariot wrote:
Quote:

spoiler[He isn't the only one there is one other which is Amarao the commander with the eyebrows. Which leads to the reason why he wears the eyebrows which is because they make it so nothing can come through his head. ]

Quote:
Also, why did Haruko want that stuff to come out of Naota's head?
spoiler[She was trying to merge with Atomsk to steal his abilities, she wasn't trying to free him. ]

That episode was funny as hell. What was that thing that spoiler[came out off the commander's head? I think it was a d*** because Haruko said to the commander that she knew "it" was small and even Naota had a bigger one. ]
Depression

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
That episode was funny as hell. What was that thing that spoiler[came out off the commander's head? I think it was a d*** because Haruko said to the commander that she knew "it" was small and even Naota had a bigger one. ]

spoiler[It was a slingshot what she said could make you thing that or it could be just referring to how the slingshot was too small to destroy the giant hand]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3