• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FLCL....weird?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animefan16

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
okay. Thanks.
alpinequeen

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I saw 2 or 3 episodes on Adult Swim last year and yes I thought it was really weird, but I like weird. Then I discovered it was only 6 episodes and figured they'd rerun it to death like they do with other stuff, but they didn't. But I had to have more FLCL so I got the series from Amazon, and it was still weird, so I watched it with the director's commentary on in subtitles and with the English dialogue, and then it made more sense.
rage-demon

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Depression wrote:
Animefan16 wrote:
That episode was funny as hell. What was that thing that spoiler[came out off the commander's head? I think it was a d*** because Haruko said to the commander that she knew "it" was small and even Naota had a bigger one. ]

spoiler[It was a slingshot what she said could make you thing that or it could be just referring to how the slingshot was too small to destroy the giant hand]

Mostly Haruko was toying with his emotions, but what she really pulled out was spoiler[a mini guitar. It was so small that she could only use it as a sling shot. (Can't really hit a giant robot over the head with something that small.)]
PraiseCanti

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:04 pm Reply with quote
FLCL is a anime produced by gainax and Synch-Point in America. The first Ep envolves a boy of 12 who's brother is in America playing baseball. He is in a small ordianary town where nothing happens. The only thing that stands out is the Medical Factory at the highest sea-level point in the town. The factory is called Medical Mechinica or Mabase. Naota (the boy) is strolling across the bridge with his brothers girlfriend (Mamimi). She is a highschooler, and as they are walking down the bridge Haruko is driving her vespa across and hits Naota on the head. This opens his N-O channel. N-O channels are gateways to robots that Mabase can use to pull their robots through. Lost yet? Anyways this is still the first ep. If you want more post me.spoiler[]spoiler[]
Animefan16

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 10:50 pm Reply with quote
FLCL was produced in America?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Animefan16 wrote:
FLCL was produced in America?

It was licensed for US distribution by SynchPoint. They had nothing to do with its production.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
on another note, does anyone know what the director says at the end of the trailer for episode 6?
7r0n

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
i heard Kazuya Tsurumaki was on twice the prescription of prozac while doing flcl then he was when working with neon genesis evangelion. im not sure how accurate that is though. ah well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PraiseCanti

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Synch-point did the English dub production here in the what, The US.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:56 pm Reply with quote
PraiseCanti wrote:
Synch-point did the English dub production here in the what, The US.

In other words, they had no actual say in the actual creation of the show. They just added the (very nice) English dub to it and marketed it in the United States.

As such, they aren't typically regarded as producers of the show itself, just the English-language distributors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3