• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S.'s Toonami Jetstream Posts New Zatch Bell Episode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:28 am Reply with quote
Maybe this is Viz giving the show a second chance? As I believe all YTV is airing now is the run-off of what Viz initially expected was going to be aired on Cartoon Network, since apparently the dub hasn't been completed and is apparently on hiatus. Like many other Viz series I suppose.

How I loathe this company. Where's my Zoids: Genesis, it's only been like 3 years Viz.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Maybe this is Viz giving the show a second chance? As I believe all YTV is airing now is the run-off of what Viz initially expected was going to be aired on Cartoon Network, since apparently the dub hasn't been completed and is apparently on hiatus. Like many other Viz series I suppose.

How I loathe this company. Where's my Zoids: Genesis, it's only been like 3 years Viz.
Agreed. If a company licenses something, they should at least finish it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
Don't hate on Viz for this one, guys, it's not their fault (this time).

The english production was funded directly by Toei and shopro, and Viz only has the license for the DVD distribution.

That's why, for example, the DVDs are dub-only.
Zatch was a show, along with Bobobo, that Toei sort of went on its own for the english localization and got the TV deals itself, then they outsourced the DVDs to Viz in zatch bells case and illumitoon in Bobobo's case.

Obviously both were failures, somewhat, although at least all of Bobobo was dubbed...

I read somewhere that Zatch was dubbed through episode 104 and that's it, so it's not Viz who you need to complain about, it's Toei/shopro/whoever actually paid for the dub work.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm beginning to think that Toei thinks that Anime here in the states are still just for the kiddies.

Zatch Bell isn't the only case.

Sailor Moon and One Piece are good examples of this one.

Sailor Moon Stars I don't need to say... everyone knows about that...

One Piece is another good example. Shortly after the new dub came around. Midway though the Skypeia Arc, they suddenly stop showing the episodes... Why? Well according to Cartoon Network they said they ran out of episodes... according to Funimation, they still had a lot of episodes and that it was Toei's doing. I really don't get what Toei was doing... seriously I heard there was a ratings increase.

Well of course you have to put some of the blame on Cartoon Network... I really think they hate anime now... Toonami was made to show anime right? First they cut back on Toonami to only two hours... What's worse is that they only show one anime on Toonami now, granted it's two episodes of Naruto... but still... What's worse is that the rest of Toonami is reruns of Samurai Jack and Ben 10 Shippuden (come on you know that's what they're going for). Seriously... it's a combination of Toei and Cartoon Network... really!
bleuster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I lost my cable access around when it stopped airing on CN, so I thought they were close to finishing the series.

It's good to know I can see more of Suzy. I thought the show was really funny.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
One Piece is another good example. Shortly after the new dub came around. Midway though the Skypeia Arc, they suddenly stop showing the episodes... Why? Well according to Cartoon Network they said they ran out of episodes... according to Funimation, they still had a lot of episodes and that it was Toei's doing. I really don't get what Toei was doing... seriously I heard there was a ratings increase.

Apparently, when the FUNi dub started up on Toonami, CN was hoping the ratings would reach Naruto levels. It didn't happen and they stopped airing episodes.

Emma Iveli wrote:
Well of course you have to put some of the blame on Cartoon Network... I really think they hate anime now... Toonami was made to show anime right?

No, it was made to show action-adventure animation shows. It was never exclusive to anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
Primus wrote:

Agreed. If a company licenses something, they should at least finish it.

That's not a good business logic, for obvious reasons.

Furthermore, some shows are hundreds of episodes long, and still going. One Piece, Detective Conan, etc. No company would dare just to license them if they are bound to finish them even if the show fails. No company would experiment licensing shows "outside the box." Everybody will stick with the same "tried and true formula" shows. And definitely nobody would license any long series (e.g. what is a hit this year may become passe 2, 3, 5, or 10 years from now).

People, even Japanese studios, experiment because they know that if it doesn't work out, they could cut their losses and move on. If they're bound to it to the finish, then with just one bad egg they could go bankrupt. So nobody experiments.

Emma Iveli wrote:

Well of course you have to put some of the blame on Cartoon Network... I really think they hate anime now... Toonami was made to show anime right?

Um, no that's a misnomer, just like "Adult Swim Action." Toonami was created to appeal to kids (later specifically boys) ages 9-14 (the short-lived counterpart Miguzi was for girls ages 9-14). Heck, when Toonami started, only Voltron can be considered anime.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:37 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

The english production was funded directly by Toei and shopro, and Viz only has the license for the DVD distribution.

Zatch was a show, along with Bobobo, that Toei sort of went on its own for the english localization and got the TV deals itself, then they outsourced the DVDs to Viz in zatch bells case and illumitoon in Bobobo's case.

Obviously both were failures, somewhat, although at least all of Bobobo was dubbed...

I read somewhere that Zatch was dubbed through episode 104 and that's it, so it's not Viz who you need to complain about, it's Toei/shopro/whoever actually paid for the dub work.

It's not just Zatch, there are tonnes of other reasons, one for example is that they're the only R1 anime licensor that releases Edited Dubs on DVD (sublicenses, and special shows like Shinchan excluded). They're the only ones who don't release all they license(unless the company has problems finacially, but that's not Viz's case), like I said, they licensed Zoids: Genesis in early 2006 for Toonami Jetstream, we're now entering the last parts of this year, and yet they haven't said a word about that show since.

And isn't Viz Media the combination of ShoPro and Viz LLC.? That shouldn't have to have a part in why Zatch was canned.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I'm beginning to think that Toei thinks that Anime here in the states are still just for the kiddies.

Zatch Bell isn't the only case.

Sailor Moon and One Piece are good examples of this one.

Sailor Moon Stars I don't need to say... everyone knows about that...

Well of course you have to put some of the blame on Cartoon Network... I really think they hate anime now... Toonami was made to show anime right? First they cut back on Toonami to only two hours... What's worse is that they only show one anime on Toonami now, granted it's two episodes of Naruto... but still... What's worse is that the rest of Toonami is reruns of Samurai Jack and Ben 10 Shippuden (come on you know that's what they're going for). Seriously... it's a combination of Toei and Cartoon Network... really!

Another reason why I despise Toei. They make some of the stupidest decisions I've ever seen a company make in my life. I mean, IIRC, they were the ones who thought it was a great idea to give 4kids the license to One Piece in the first place. And tons of other stupid ****. It makes me wish Zatch Bell or One Piece would've been done by Studio Pierrot.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

This pretty much contradicts many things Viz has said about the show. Viz had made it clear multiple times that they had control over translation/parts of dubbing, editing, marketing, and DVD release. (Though, this would partially explain some of the inconsistencies in the production.)

Quote:
I believe it was the ADR writer had mentioned that he stopped working on it.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
samuelp wrote:

This pretty much contradicts many things Viz has said about the show. Viz had made it clear multiple times that they had control over translation/parts of dubbing, editing, marketing, and DVD release. (Though, this would partially explain some of the inconsistencies in the production.)

Quote:
I believe it was the ADR writer had mentioned that he stopped working on it.

Really? I thought this was a studiopolis job like bobobo was... I didn't know that Viz had any creative control.

Well, if so then I revise my argument slightly: Not finish Zatch Bell is the _least_ of the things to be angry at Viz about Smile. How about full moon or hikaru no go or prince of tennis or mar or any of the shows that viz has complete control over? Smile
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I have issues with Viz for other reasons, as well, of course. Sometimes I severely question what they're doing on an industry and business level. Some companies, clearly, do not have the same perspective on how Anime should be released and do not afford it respect as a work of art and entertainment that someone has made. Which makes things weird in the US sometimes. A show that you'd think whould never get licensed, does, doesn't sell well. A popular show gets mangled by the production company, doesn't sell well. Different companies handle things differently, which makes the otherwise unified Anime watching audience stuck with an uneven bag of shows that get proper treatment (including marketing and the like) and don't which is sometimes difficult or impossible to understand why - if there is a "good reason", even. But I digress.

Gash Bell did not catch on well enough in the US, unfortunately. The industry was a little different when it was licensed and the show was not treated with due respect (it was edited, and poorly, as you may recall). So, the companies involved were just hoping to make a quick buck, period, and when the show didn't catch like they had hoped, they just dropped it. Its really silly but some companies come to care about their bottom line at the expense of their audience.

I love Gash Bell and I'm glad to see it back in any capacity. I imagine, Cartoon Network simply still had the airing license for the episodes that didn't make it to TV and so something good has come of that. I don't know how well Toonami Jetstream is going but it seems to be the dumping place for shows that didn't work on TV (and also shows that they had no plans for putting on TV, as well as successful shows). Hopefully this will go well for them and for the show.

As an aside, I picked up some Zatch Bell toys at Toys "R" Us on clearance on Saturday ^-^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1