• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV picks up CrossGen Sales Director

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Great, another bad business plan from ADV Manga. As if flooding the market with unknown titles wasn't bad enough. Now they're hiring someone who worked for a company which is close to folding. They can really pick them.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Oi, I am not liking ADV manga. I don't really have an opinion on the guy they just hired... it might not be his fault his previous company folded. I'm still pissed about ADV buying a ton of sequal manga titles without the original manga. T.T Selling unknown manga here in the US is one thing, but selling the sequal only of an unknown title in the US is worse. I'm still wondering what they were thinking when they made the move. Was comic blade just offering their manga titles for dirt cheap or something? *goes off to rant to somebody about this more*
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:48 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Great, another bad business plan from ADV Manga. As if flooding the market with unknown titles wasn't bad enough. Now they're hiring someone who worked for a company which is close to folding. They can really pick them.

Well, how can you blame the guy coming from a company made by a rich fanboy who's "buisness model research" was asking comic retailers what sells, and coming to the conclusion that "Fantasy-Action Comics sell."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:31 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Oi, I am not liking ADV manga. I don't really have an opinion on the guy they just hired... it might not be his fault his previous company folded. I'm still pissed about ADV buying a ton of sequal manga titles without the original manga. T.T Selling unknown manga here in the US is one thing, but selling the sequal only of an unknown title in the US is worse. I'm still wondering what they were thinking when they made the move. Was comic blade just offering their manga titles for dirt cheap or something? *goes off to rant to somebody about this more*

Crossgen didn't fold. And you don't know yet whether or not they're pursuing the license to the earlier Ragnarok or Peace Maker manga titles (two doesn't qualify as 'a ton', no matter how you want to paint it), so just hold your horses and reserve judgement until they actually release something or make some announcement about it.

Aside from that, it isn't like Ragnarok and Peace Maker are horribly complicated. You could catch people up pretty quickly on those without missing much.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Aside from that, it isn't like Ragnarok and Peace Maker are horribly complicated. You could catch people up pretty quickly on those without missing much.

The thing is, it's MORE then just those two titles. Those are the main one's everyone is making a big deal over because those are the most popular. Aria, and Kagerou-Nostalgia are also sequal series, and those are only the titles I'm familar with out of the list ADV got. For all I know a large percentage of those other titles are sequals are well. Kagerou-Nostalgia is the fifth and final volume, which has 4 other volumes before it. Aria is pretty much the only one that can stand well on it's own without the earlier volumes.

Sorry if I think that missing out on the first 7 volumes of a 11 volume series that does get rather complicated at times is a big deal. If you've read Matantei Loki, you'd know that a lot of things happen in those 7 volumes. The 8th actually represents a sort of turning point in the series for itself. One thing that happens in the newer volumes is suddenly Odin isn't the bad guy anymore, where for the past 7 volumes he was. Also by the 7th volume pretty much all the characters have shown up, and a lot of character development has happened, and some aren't on the original sides they were on, etc. Some things are explained in the first 7 volumes that aren't really explained in the newer volumes, not to mention the fact that Kinoshita Sakura doesn't often repeat herself on the Norse stuff. Loki IS rather complicated. You ARE missing much in Loki if you skip the first 7 volumes.

Peacemaker had 6 volumes to it previously, ADV only has 7+. The characters and their backgrounds aren't really re-introduced in that time. Most people tend to feel that in manga that focuses on characters and story, a big chunk missing from the beginning is a problem.

Again, with these last two titles, ADV can possibly get away without getting the first volumes of the manga by trying to advertise it as a sequal or continuation of the anime. With Loki this would fit almost perfectly because the anime ends pretty much where the 7th volume ends, but there are still some major differences in what happens with the characters. I hope this isn't what they're going to try and pull, but I wouldn't be surprised because it's more than likely they're planning on licensing the anime adaptions.
michelle

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quote
"Together they form an experienced team for ADV's fledging manga division."

Yeah, because American comics companies are just so good at selling to their own market. That's why manga does so poorly against them with its high page count, wide array of genres, rapid release schedule and bookstore marketing model.

/sarcasm off/

Seriously, it makes me very nervous to be handing manga over to someone from CrossGen or DC-Marvel. They're all one-trick pony publishers compared to what Tokyopop and Viz have accomplished. Do they know what they're getting into?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:13 am Reply with quote
michelle wrote:

Seriously, it makes me very nervous to be handing manga over to someone from CrossGen or DC-Marvel. They're all one-trick pony publishers compared to what Tokyopop and Viz have accomplished. Do they know what they're getting into?

AND the award for TOTALLY IGNORANT STATEMENT of the YEAR goes to...

*drumroll*...

MICHELLE!

The fact that you call Marvel and DC "one trick pony" publishers against what Tokyopop and Viz have "accomplished" makes my stomach turn. Marvel and DC have been around for AGES and made comics a valid art form in America and other parts of the world. Without having published comics like Superman, Batman, Hulk and X-Men, many of your favorite manga titles wouldn't be around today at all. If Marvel and DC were The Bible, Tokyopop and Viz are like bestsellers in the New York Times; modern success and instant promise, but without any of the legacy or historical contribution. Seriously.. it's like saying Ed Sullivan is a has-been wash out and a one-trick pony, unlike what Jimmy Kimmel has "accomplished".

Oy gevalt, kids these days!
michelle

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:06 pm Reply with quote
On second reading, my comment does sound amazingly stupid. I should have said "Kodansha and Shuiesha" (for example) in place of Tokyopop and Viz, the reprinters. That oversight fixed, DC and Marvel *are* one-trick ponies in my opinion. They keep recycling the same spandex superheros that they created in their heyday (Superman, Batman, Spiderman and X-men being the big ones), but they haven't created a popular original character in the past, oh, 20 years. As an extreme example, DC is currently featuring yet another "reintroduction" of Supergirl which makes at least 7 versions of this character that I can count. They keep repackaging the same old characters that keep returning to status quo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1