• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 09-03-08

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, look what I get to look forward to, what with Vic Mignagna comig here in October and all...... Anime hyper

Nah, I'll probably be just fine. It isn't typically like me in the first place, although admitedly (and JG if he's reading this probably doesn't even know about this himself Anime smile + sweatdrop ) the very first time I ever went to an autograph signing event (with one of my top favorite dub VAs in Michelle Ruff to go along with it) I got quite a bit nervous waiting in the line, although I didn't really do anything to show that I was and in the end was able to keep my cool pretty well. I was a whole lot better with Greg Ayres and Luci Christian latter that day though, so I guess I kind of redeemed myself there. Anime smile + sweatdrop Just basically conversed with all 3 them like normal everyday human beings that they are, and they were all really nice people to, so it was all cool in the end. A great experience just to get to know and casually talk to them and all. It'll even be the same with Vic as well no doubt. Although I still do have to say having already had the experience goes a long ways to helping me keep my cool during one of these things, I think that's what I sort of took away from that experience, so yeah, it'll be all good I'm sure. I just had my first time jitters that one time was all. Anime smile + sweatdrop
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I have no trouble talking to the famous ones, it's just I'm afraid my ugly voice and my weird name would make them raise an eyebrow.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Try this next time. Think about his grandfather trying to kill your grandfather, and maybe succeeding 65 years ago. That will usually bring you back down to Earth. Wink

Wow.

So as a black American, what's the mindset I'm supposed to have about Michael Phelps' grandparents before showering him with praise? Hell, should I inherently think less of Ryan Payton or Chris Patton because there's a SLIGHT chance they had members of their family that ran with a lynch mob?

A good friend of mine is part-Vietnamese, should I just not trust him because there's a chance my grandfather did crap to members of his family during a certain war and he'll be wanting revenge?

WHAT THEIR ANCESTORS OR PEOPLE DID really have little to nothing to do with the character of that person.

I understand you're trying to say "they're only human" and bring people back to reality and in a joking manner. Still that sounds more like anti-progressive thinking than it is an attempt to snap people back into reality.

Really, I'd just say it's simple hero worship and as much as I criticize people in that position at least I'll let them dream.

Well, so much for moving forward.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Uh, MugenKeiji, he wasn't really being serious. Notice the Wink smilie. Typically, this is a sign that someone is kidding around or at least that they aren't completely serious.

All Mohawk52 was trying to say is that even if you're a fan of someone's work, they are still human and therefore you shouldn't feel quite so self-conscious or out of sorts about meeting them. He wasn't seriously saying we shouldn't like or trust people because maybe our grandparents were mortal foes.

Edit: Fixed some grammar mistakes I didn't notice.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Uh, MugenKeiji, he wasn't really being serious. Notice the Wink smilie. Typically, this is a sign that someone is kidding around or at least that they aren't completely serious.

Sigh...

"I understand you're trying to say "they're only human" and bring people back to reality and in a joking manner. Still that sounds more like anti-progressive thinking than it is an attempt to snap people back into reality. "

I hate repeating myself, especially when people reiterate facts that I've already stated as though I was never aware.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Try this next time. Think about his grandfather trying to kill your grandfather, and maybe succeeding 65 years ago. That will usually bring you back down to Earth. Wink

I don't know man, even then one's reaction could still be "ZOMG Vic Mignogna's grandparents and my grandparents actually knew each other!? Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper Anime hyper " Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
MugenKeiji wrote:
I hate repeating myself, especially when people reiterate facts that I've already stated as though I was never aware.
The rest of your post seemed to be unaware so I felt it was valid to point it out clearly. You're taking what Mohawk52 posted far too seriously in my opinion.

You're talking about lynch mobs and the Vietnam war despite saying you understood the intent of his post, which again, is clearly not intended to be taken that seriously. I'm just saying you're taking it a tad far. I mean, this is a thread about a comic strip, not a social commentary by important community leaders or something. Whether Mohawk52's post was "anti-progressive" thinking or not, it's not like he has the influence worthy of such a strong counter comment. He's not even a mod.

I'm not trying to annoy you or make you repeat yourself, just saying that I think you were going a tad too far. I won't say anything more on the subject though. I've said all I intend to.
MugenKeiji

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
The rest of your post seemed to be unaware so I felt it was valid to point it out clearly.

They call it "reading comprehension" for a reason. Read ALL of it before making a response to a person.

Richard J. wrote:
You're taking what Mohawk52 posted far too seriously in my opinion.

No, I was dissecting his comment and saying it was too far for a joke. If I was taking too seriously, I wouldn't acknowledge that it was a joke in the first place.

Richard J. wrote:
You're talking about lynch mobs and the Vietnam war despite saying you understood the intent of his post, which again, is clearly not intended to be taken that seriously.

"His grandfather could have killed my grandfather or possibly yours in another reality. That being said, your hero is not a god. Go back to reality"

I simply brought up parallel examples to point out what was wrong with that statement using similar reasoning. Granted mine wasn't in a joking manner, guess I should have added a smiley and made a quip about "waking up." My bad.

Richard J. wrote:
I'm just saying you're taking it a tad far. I mean, this is a thread about a comic strip, not a social commentary by important community leaders or something. Whether Mohawk52's post was "anti-progressive" thinking or not, it's not like he has the influence worthy of such a strong counter comment. He's not even a mod.

Good point, but you know Mohawk52's post was supposed to be about telling people to wake up about their "hero worship", which DOES relate to the comic. I actually agree with him on the part about people's heroes being people and not gods, but joke or not that's just the wrong way to go about telling people shape up about it.

Richard J. wrote:
I'm not trying to annoy you or make you repeat yourself, just saying that I think you were going a tad too far. I won't say anything more on the subject though. I've said all I intend to.

No. I'm just being myself. Just like he was being himself. We both have our different senses of humor and outlooks on life. Also whether you like it or not, I still have the right to argue and criticize another person's views even if it's not "right" to do so.

I KNEW FROM THE SECOND I QUOTED HIS POST IT WAS A JOKE.

To be safe, I will reiterate that the point of Mohawk52's post was MERELY the fallacy of hero worship NOT "teh racism". Razz

I'm done here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
I'd love to laugh at Nina for being so silly but I unfortunately can't. I had my own fanboy moment this just past Otakon meeting Tony Oliver. I mean the man is Rick Hunter for crying out loud people! Not to mention he voiced my favorite character from my favorite show (X tv) Sorata. I went to his panel and tried to talk to him after it but just kept stuttering like fool. Crying or Very sad Laughing It'll be ok Nina....your memory will return in time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3