• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - A Day Late and A Dollar Short

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akisora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quote
I feel that the review of Gravitation is unfair, focusing mainly on a vague distaste of the genre and not on the content of this volume itself.

Now I realize fully that Gravitation has some idiotic stuff and things that seem meaningless and/or stupid, but Ms Murakami has these things in the story for a reason, and they help tie things together, and are an important part of the relationship between Bad Luck as well as Shuichi and Yuki. These moments lay the groundwork for better things to come.

Yes, I am a fan pf the anime as well as the manga. I rank Gravitation as number one favourite.
UberTai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:39 am Reply with quote
I thought it was short, sweet, and got to the point. True, it could have had more detail, but I thought that the humor was enough to fill that void.

All in all, nice job, Liann.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:41 am Reply with quote
Akisora wrote:
I feel that the review of Gravitation is unfair, focusing mainly on a vague distaste of the genre and not on the content of this volume itself.

Hmm..I distinctly remember saying
Quote:
I don’t have a problem with shounen-ai and I don’t have a problem with pretty guys...
in the synopsis. I am like most people and enjoy a good shounen-ai series (FAKE is one of my favorite series). The kookiness may lay groundwork, but this particular volume was not one of the stronger ones in the series. Notice I didn't "recycle it," I just said borrow it.
Akisora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Akisora wrote:

Hmm..I distinctly remember saying
Quote:
I don’t have a problem with shounen-ai and I don’t have a problem with pretty guys...
in the synopsis. I am like most people and enjoy a good shounen-ai series (FAKE is one of my favorite series). The kookiness may lay groundwork, but this particular volume was not one of the stronger ones in the series. Notice I didn't "recycle it," I just said borrow it.

I recall what you said, but I interpreted a vague dislike. I may have misinterpreted the worsd, and I apologize in my case for that, but the rest of my opinion will remain as thus.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:06 am Reply with quote
Good column this week. But do you think people get more out of thier dollar investing in shorter series than longer series (SDK Comment). I mean series like Berserk and One Piece are extremely long, yet when I pick up these title, I feel like I got more out of my dollar than any of manga...I believe longer manga have more value than short manga with like 7 or 8 volume. I would love to collect 50+ volumes if it's stilll enjoyable. Sure buying 27 volume all at once is expensive, but with the released date, it's only around 10 dollar every 2-3 month per volume, it's not that much of money anyawys.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:11 am Reply with quote
Glad you liked this week's column. Anime smile

I think it really depends on the series. That statement did come across as pretty general, but it was intended to be more "series specific" to SDK. One Piece and Berserk move forward pretty well...I just find SDK a little more stagnant than most lengthy series. Shorter series, like Wish or Alien Nine probably carry just as much "value" as longer ones like Naruto or X, so no...I suppose people don't generally get "more" out of their dollar with shorter series than longer. Yes, the release dates make it easier on the wallet, but only for those who buy 1 or 2 series anyway.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:49 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying your column so far, esp. when reading the reviews of series that I've given up on since it lets me know that I'm not missing much since the story so far still doesn't appeal to me but I can see if it eventually would be worthwhile to try to read at a much later date.

though getting on the Gravitation bandwagon, while I agree with you its not one of the most appealing story to some people and totally agree it should be in the borrow it section since it has a certain taste to it, your statement about Angel Sanctuary
Quote:
If you don’t like controversial subject matter, it’s recommended that you think twice about picking up Angel Sanctuary. Laden with talk of incest, religion, and a downright abstruse plot
might warrant it to be in teh borrow it section since it too would need a certain liking for the storyline like Gravitation...

but that's just me. I'm not sure what you base your placement on, but it seems to be a combination of storyline, overall appeal, and originality...but I could be wrong Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

and btw...mullets are hot ;p
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Vigilante024 wrote:
your statement about Angel Sanctuary
Quote:
If you don’t like controversial subject matter, it’s recommended that you think twice about picking up Angel Sanctuary. Laden with talk of incest, religion, and a downright abstruse plot
might warrant it to be in teh borrow it section since it too would need a certain liking for the storyline like Gravitation...

but that's just me. I'm not sure what you base your placement on, but it seems to be a combination of storyline, overall appeal, and originality...but I could be wrong Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

The thing with Angel Sanctuary is that while the content may have some questionable subject matter, the series so far has been solid and has a good, even if kinda confusing, storyline. Volume 2 of Angel Sanctuary actually went somewhere...volume 6 of Gravitation was pretty much filler.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quote
makes sense and I can't argue with it since I haven't yet picked up Angel Sanctuary vol 2, but am looking forward to doing so now Smile
pandorina

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:06 pm Reply with quote
I am going to disagree with part of your Gravitation statement. Anime smallmouth

Quote:
I ask is that I get a small fragment of plot to grab onto. Gravitation offers neither attractive men nor any semblance of plot.

This volume does have a little bit of plot. Minimal though it may be it is plot none the less and sets everything up for volume 7. Anime catgrin But truth be told most of it was filler. (Cute and entertaining filler for those of us obessed with gravi)

And no attractive men... come on you know Hiro is hot. Then again I have an affinity to men with long dark hair. So that may just be a personal preference. Anime hyper I love Murakami's art work so I am completly biased.

Otherwise. Omedeto Gozaimasu. Great job on your latest article. I look forward to the next.

Ja'
Nuriko-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Feh, I don't like how she dissed Gravitation either, as it's one of my favorites, although I also prefer FAKE. There's more to it than "bishounen" ><.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:09 pm Reply with quote
she didn't really diss Gravitiation, afteral, its not like she said it was the worst manga imaginable and put it in the recycle section. It's mostly a personal preference, which she's already stated she prefers more of a plot than eye candy, and honestly, Gravitation has tons of "eye candy" for its readers. I personally think Gravitation is like a Love Hina for girls and while many people think Love Hina is a great story, there is alot of fluff and filler in it. Gravitiation does have alot of filler in it, as a majority of the volumes consist of filler with a small amount of plot to move on to the next volume with. Some of the words used to describe vol. 6 may be harsh, but they don't differ all that much from how she decribed alot of the other titles she read.

let's not turn this into an "OMG she hates Gravitation! What's wrong with her! I love that series!" thread.

she merely stated which manga volumes this month had a strong point this month and which she thinks would be the best value for our money while we are purchasing. I just wish the column was up yesterday so I would have known to pick up Angel Sanctuary instead of Gravitation, while Gravitation was an enjoyable read this month, if Angel Sanctuary has a better plot developement in this volume over Gravitation, then I'm going to want to get teh one with the better development. Its a priority shopping guideline for those on a budget.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:27 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of Gravitation, though I have absolutely nothing against shonen-ai, but I'm just going to stick my neck out here and say that Angel Sanctuary and Gravitation are on completely different levels. Yes, they both have controversial material, but Angel Sanctuary is well, perhaps one of the most controversial manga you'll ever find. Straight out in the side notes made by the author, Kaori Yuki makes it known that she's out to make the most weirdest manga around, yet also something with so much story that people are telling her to slow down. Angel Sanctuary has guys loving guys, girls loving girls, incest, transexuals, people trying to kill god, people killing angels, people siding with demons, and more. Angel Sanctuary is designed to make you go "wow" in shock with how much stuff it has in it, but that isn't all it has. It has an amazing story, and amazing artwork. Even if you aren't rooting for the incest couple in there, you can still enjoy it. The incest isn't the whole story, not by far. That's more then could be said about the manga about some guy who wants to make a famous band and happens to like a guy.

This has been a useless post by your local Kaori Yuki freak Anime catgrin
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1