• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Dubs that Time Forgot (Part 2)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I suspect my days off from work for the next few weeks will consist of seeing which of these shows I can get my own copies of- especially since I seem to have exhausted Wal-Mart's selection of old dubbed anime movies in the dollar bins when I finally found a copy of Panda and the Magic Serpent. Great stuff!!!

Heh, worst i have is a 16mm print of the same film, though it somehow has English captions of the dubbed dialogue running through the film. I sorta wonder if this was made to teach people to read or for the deaf? Quite an interesting item.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
petran79 wrote:
Really interesting to see how anime was back then. You really couldnt distinguish it from western cartoons since the Japanese were still influenced by the West and also by independent animation.

Now anime is more fragmented, specific and individualised. But only through TV did they become really popular and opened the market for further expansion.

Why I hardly watch it anymore!

Quote:
this goes way back to the "Castle of Cagliostro". Add also that after 30 years TV is even more messed up. Frenzy over everything! In most countries Heidi was broadcast by state broadcasters who had very good quality programming and werent relying on high TV ratings and sensationalisms. That sort of TV is long gone

Sad really. I sorta wished we had something like that over here.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
I forgot about the bbc dub of Yuresei Yatsura. And Now I don't. HA. "If it's Pikachu, i've got the set!"

It's a shame they didn't do the whole thing, realy. Could of been good for a few laughs.

I think it's a shame they didn't. This should've been a weekly event for anyone who bothered keeping their TV license up-to-snuff there! Oh well, it was their loss at the Beeb.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:29 am Reply with quote
To make a few corrections. That program block Nickelodeon used to had weekend afternoons was "Special Delivery". I used to watch those a lot back when Nickelodeon was not the powerhouse they've become. Today's Special was the name of a half-hour program that usually aired during the morning/early afternoon hours of what is now Nick Jr. The show was produced by TVOntario.

Heidi, Girl of the Alps actually first aired in Japan in 1974. 1979 was when it's theatrical compilation film was released I believe. And yes, it's a terrific series that Nick should've bothered picking up instead of playing this movie comp. It would've fit in perfectly with Belle & Sebastian! There were a lot of these I only wish were out on DVD here (and no one'll ever fansub the R2 releases either).

Here's one from the 70's I bothered tracking down several 16mm copies of...
Kum Kum

This series in particular was produced by Sunrise of all studios, Rintaro directed the series with designs by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko. Paramount Pictures handled international distribution (though it was never shown in the US), but the English dubbing was handled in Australia, using a voice cast that included the future voice of Bullwinkle J. Moose!

Speaking of Run For Life, thanks Mike for having showed me what I just bought two 3/4" U-Matic tapes of...

I think the video label that had Run For Life was Children's Video Library, a subsidiary of Vestron Video. I thought I saw this tape once at a store but didn't think to renting it as I didn't think it was going to be that interesting. The clips proved me right! Laughing Too often videos like this used to be a common stable of the kid vid section of any store in the 80's when it wasn't the usual familiar titles we've grown up on. Your parents could always end up rending the worst on the shelve and you had to deal with it!

And because I tend to pick up things daily in my private archives, here's other anime-related mementos I've picked up along the way!

That's all folks!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 am Reply with quote
God, you're making me remember the bad old days of video production. Jeez, were things a pain in the butt back then. Expensive as well!

Cool collection though. How did you manage to snag the Streamline Fist of the North Star 35mm elements? (Too bad your 16mm prints have all turned red... damn Ektachrome stock.)

In the future, could you combine all of the above to one post? I know you're enthusiastic. Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
God, you're making me remember the bad old days of video production. Jeez, were things a pain in the butt back then. Expensive as well!

I've had the irrational desire to have an Amiga/Video Toaster set-up ever since I read the cover feature article in Video magazine. Irrational because I've never even done any serious hobby video work, just messing with Betamax decks and a Video 8 camcorder.

From checking ebay.com, an Amiga 2000 isn't that expensive (though shipping it to the Philippines will be), not even one with the Video Toaster 2000 hardware and software. Fully tricked out Amiga 4000T with Video Toaster 4000 and Flyer for non-linear editing, though....

At least I can console myself that it's cheaper and more useful than getting a PowerPC-accelerated classic Amiga. Never used an Amiga, so the desire to run OS4 is weak in me.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
I had recently watched the dub of "Blue Sonnet" Ah! Derwin how I miss thee. not And to think they use to fly the VAs over to Carmarthenshire, West Wales as well. I blame it on the jet lag. Laughing
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I had recently watched the dub of "Blue Sonnet" Ah! Derwin how I miss thee. not And to think they use to fly the VAs over to Carmarthenshire, West Wales as well. I blame it on the jet lag. Laughing

That's another old Manga UK dub I'm dying to see. I loves me a good Michael Bakewell dub. (I thought they didn't start dubbing in Wales until very late, like post-Ghost in the Shell era. Which basically includes Psychic Wars, Vampire Wars and Shadow Skill.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

That's another old Manga UK dub I'm dying to see. I loves me a good Michael Bakewell dub. (I thought they didn't start dubbing in Wales until very late, like post-Ghost in the Shell era. Which basically includes Psychic Wars, Vampire Wars and Shadow Skill.)
I went there for a job interview back in '89 and they were doing it then. Not sure who had commissioned them back then, but they told me dubbing "animations from Japan" was one of their clients. I remember they were located in an 18th. Century mansion that had been taken over by the National Trust and leasted out as a sort of office complex. They gave me the .50p tour of the Voiceover booths and editing suites. I didn't get the job, which is just as well. I think they folded in 1998, or 99.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I know. Need to locate a U-Matic deck now, then perhaps I'll burn off DVD's of "Run For Life" I can unleash upon the world of new tots in the $1 DVD bin at Wal-Mart. Laughing

Quote:
Cool collection though. How did you manage to snag the Streamline Fist of the North Star 35mm elements?

I still don't know how. It's as if I'm buying stuff out of Carl Macek's attic. Either way, it's neat owning something valuable in my collection.

Quote:
(Too bad your 16mm prints have all turned red... damn Ektachrome stock.)

I know how you feel. Anything below LPP is just unspeakable if you don't care for it in the upmost fashion. The only good reason to have it I feel is the soundtrack alone. Just haven't noticed any copies of this film in English floating around there, and I could easily extract the audio and sync it to a DVD if I have to (still have to see how much I can match this perfectly if I bother). Still reminded of the little tête-à-tête I had with DiscoTek that resulted in English audio channels being available for two of their three Toei anime classics discs. If they ever get a chance to go after Hols, Prince of the Sun, I wouldn't mind loaning my print for the hassle.

Quote:
In the future, could you combine all of the above to one post? I know you're enthusiastic. Smile

Will do! And yes, I was being too enthusiastic there.

fuuma_monou wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

I've had the irrational desire to have an Amiga/Video Toaster set-up ever since I read the cover feature article in Video magazine. Irrational because I've never even done any serious hobby video work, just messing with Betamax decks and a Video 8 camcorder.

Heh, or me, it was leafing through issues of Videomaker I'd get at a nearby convenience mart every month that got me all hot 'n bothered at the Toaster and the Videonics equipment.

Quote:
From checking ebay.com, an Amiga 2000 isn't that expensive (though shipping it to the Philippines will be), not even one with the Video Toaster 2000 hardware and software. Fully tricked out Amiga 4000T with Video Toaster 4000 and Flyer for non-linear editing, though....

Makes me which I had one myself. Being reminded of the days I had begged my mom for an Amiga 500 like there was no tomorrow (ended up getting a POS Atari 8-bit from a garage sale instead, and didn't do much on that anyway). Missed out on a good thing there.

Quote:
At least I can console myself that it's cheaper and more useful than getting a PowerPC-accelerated classic Amiga. Never used an Amiga, so the desire to run OS4 is weak in me.

I could always buy one of those on eBay if I must, but I have yet to develop a thing for abandonware myself. So far, I'm in a retrogaming phase, and have bought a near-mint ColecoVision with some games and a Super Action Controller included last month (it just begged me to get it in it's original, though beat-up packaging). Just today, my PC Engine came in the mail!
M7AS Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how horses would do that strafe-jump in real life. Laughing
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I remember seeing Derwen on the credits for Shadow Skill (which I picked up cheap in Game or something) after working with Barcud-Derwen on a temp job doing recordings of the Nantygwyddon Landfill Enquiry. They do, or at least did at the time, sound stuff for the National Assembly.

StudioToledo wrote:
I think the video label that had Run For Life was Children's Video Library, a subsidiary of Vestron Video.

I'm going to be haunted by their little logo jingle of "boys and girls come out to play" all night now.

fuuma_monou wrote:

We had an Amiga 500 and I always wanted a Rockgen Rockey so I could mess around with chromakeying and stuff. I wanted a Video Toaster of course, especially after it made a name for itself on Babylon 5, seaQuest and the like. I remember the Video Toaster making the front page of an Amiga magazine when it finally came to the UK thanks to a NTSC/PAL converter card (the Toaster itself was NTSC-only).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
StudioToledo wrote:
I think the video label that had Run For Life was Children's Video Library, a subsidiary of Vestron Video.

I'm going to be haunted by their little logo jingle of "boys and girls come out to play" all night now.

HAHAHAHA, you'll never escape that! Twisted Evil

Quote:
fuuma_monou wrote:

We had an Amiga 500 and I always wanted a Rockgen Rockey so I could mess around with chromakeying and stuff. I wanted a Video Toaster of course, especially after it made a name for itself on Babylon 5, seaQuest and the like. I remember the Video Toaster making the front page of an Amiga magazine when it finally came to the UK thanks to a NTSC/PAL converter card (the Toaster itself was NTSC-only).

I'm still pissed I never had one! I missed out on creamy Amiga godoness. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2