• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shoujo Manga Recommendations

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daisho

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:56 pm Reply with quote
This question is for girls:
What GOOD shoujo manga would you recommend--to a boy--that deals with girls' feelings, i.e. in first person from a girl's point of view? I'm looking for a high school manga without magical stuff or outer space stuff--just a normal, realistic manga. Something comparable to I"s (Katsura Masakazu), but from a girl's POV.

Thank you
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oi... umm... maybe Paradise Kiss, and Hana Kimi. And if you want something really spectacualry unbeliveable yet no magic and stuff, try Hot Gimmick. I don't really know many manga on how a girl thinks/her feelings...
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Confidential Confessions?
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I guess if you mention Confidential Confessions you can also mention X-Day.

I would throw in Mars, too since Hot Gimmick was mentioned.

Boys Over Flowers too.
gnollman

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kare Kano might qualify....
Captain Jack Sparrow

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
Marmalade Boy could be one.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Finally a manga question I can answer Wink
I've never read I's, but I have a good idea of what you're talking about. By realistic, I hope you're not excluding soap opera-style, which some shoujo romance manga could fall under. I've found girls' romance manga in general to be much more melodramatic than boys' romance. Yet I also think that shoujo romance manga is often faster-paced than shonen/seinen romance like Love Hina or Oh My Goddess. Another plus (for me anyway) is the absence in most shoujo manga of cheesecake/fanservice. Think of emotional reactions and not hormonal ones as a theme! (Okay, maybe I’m being biased).

Now I'll stop rambling and actually recommend titles:
1) Marmalade Boy (Tokyopop) This is such a fun manga that I haven't been surprised at all to hear about guys that like it as well. The parents of 10th grade girl Miki decide to swap partners with another couple, who also have a 10th grade son Yuu. Now Miki and Yuu both have four parents, and have to live together in the same house. School dramas and love triangles, quadrangles, and what not; come together with Miki's unusual home situation to create comic mayhem and some angst. You certainly get a girl’s point of view, as Miki struggles to choose between Yuu (whose varied personality she just can’t understand) and her long-time friend Ginta. Even though the characters are in high school, they're quite "young" in a sense, so there's not much sexual tension if that's what you define as "realistic". Still, if you love both comedy and romance, this is the #1 title I would recommend.

2) Peach Girl (Tokyopop) Because of Momo’s always-tanned skin, everyone thinks she’s a playgirl, but she’s simply an ordinary teen longing for someone special. She finally begins dating her crush Toji, but her conniving friend Sae attempts to break them up. This is slightly more mature than Marmalade Boy (but still fine for teens and up), and almost exclusively focused on the romantic aspects of Momo’s life (we never even meet her parents!). The covers are sometimes as ugly as hell, but don’t let you scare you off, since the black and white artwork is quite likeable. NOTE: There are currently two Peach Girl series available. The plain ol’ Peach Girl is the start of the series in left to right format, while Peach Girl: Change of Heart is a continuation of the series in right to left format. Start with the original Peach Girl first. Later on this year, Tokyopop will later be re-releasing the original Peach Girl in right to left.

3) Paradise Kiss (Tokyopop)- High school senior Yukari is drawn into the high fashion world of some student designers who run the studio “Paradise Kiss”. She also begins to fall in love with the head of this studio. The characters are all eccentric, bohemian-like artists rather than vapid supermodels (although Yukari herself becomes a model for them). I think this is the most character-introspective of all three, since Yukari is faced with making some serious life choices. Lots and lots of “stuff from a girl’s perspective” per your request.

I’m incredibly sorry for using up all these forum space, but I wanted to give you a good idea of these series. They’re all manga that after reading, I want to immediately rush out and get the next volume (but I’m usually too broke Sad ).
Daisho

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, that's a lot of stuff. I forgot to mention: NOTHING WITH YAOI!!! (Hopefully none of the ones so far have that...)
Daisho

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, that's very helpful. What I meant by "realistic" was practical, realistic situations and more realistic art instead of humongous eyes and tiny 'D's for noses. I only buy French manga 'cause they're $10 cheaper; they're usually right-to-left too.
Naiomi

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Drat, no Yaoi?

Then Tokyopop's new release, Model would be a good choice, if you like a bit of horror thrown into your romance.

Also, Kodocha. It's a great story with little quirks in it that add up to a good read.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, of the three titles I recommended, Paradise Kiss has the most realistic art. It's slightly kinky, but there are real noses Anime smile. And all of my recommendations are definitely not yaoi!
JackBassV

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Okay,
My recommendation isn't a High School story.
Neither is it from a Girls perspective.
But it is one of the best relationship manga outthere:

Maison Ikkoku

It's just been re-released by Viz, in unflipped format.

But Paradise Kiss and Peach Girl are both good (I still prefer Maison Ikkoku though Wink )
sacchan

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Daisho wrote:
Thanks, that's very helpful. What I meant by "realistic" was practical, realistic situations and more realistic art instead of humongous eyes and tiny 'D's for noses. I only buy French manga 'cause they're $10 cheaper; they're usually right-to-left too.

What about Skip Beat! by Yoshiki Nakamura? It's not out in English, but I think it's out in French.

It may not be "realistic" enough, since the main character's into curses and stuff... but, the story's really fun and hyper. I think even guys would find it entertaining.

As for realistic shojo manga, I know a lot, but I think most of them aren't translated. I don't know if these are, but what about: P.A. , Kissies, Omochabako Kakumei, MVP wa Yuzurenai!, BAN BON!, Yumeiro Cooking, and any of the Mito Orihara's manga?

Most of the above manga have the usual "shojo" art with big eyes and small noses.
If you want truly "realistic" art and story, you should look at ladies comics instead of shojo/high school stories.
Some realistic ladies comics: Kirinkan Graffiti, Gal Boy, Takeko-san no Koibito, Kimi no te ga Sasayaiteru, Koi no Kiseki, etc.
cryo

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:17 pm Reply with quote
mmm....new things for me to try. I was wondering about Fruits Basket. Is that any good?
firegirl22

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I love Fruits Basket, the manga actually is what got me interested in the anime, and it's super good! Tohru can get somewhat annoying sometimes, but all the hot guys totally makes up for that!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2